Windows 10: WindowsApps folder has 2 duplicate unusable, undiscoverable 65GB installations of Gears 5

Discus and support WindowsApps folder has 2 duplicate unusable, undiscoverable 65GB installations of Gears 5 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have spent last 3 hours trying to change folder ownership and security, to delete them, but nothing seems to work. Do these folders get deleted when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GustavsŠvalbe, Aug 31, 2019.

1. WindowsApps folder has 2 duplicate unusable, undiscoverable 65GB installations of Gears 5

I have spent last 3 hours trying to change folder ownership and security, to delete them, but nothing seems to work.

Do these folders get deleted when unused over time or is there any other way of removing them.

Thanks

WindowsApps folder has 2 duplicate unusable, undiscoverable 65GB installations of Gears 5 35f0b879-fb99-4e75-a15e-382989e78141?upload=true.png

:)

GustavsŠvalbe, Aug 31, 2019

2. Duplicate apps in WindowsApps folder

Hi,

my Program Files\WindowsApps folder is growing in size and contains some duplicate app entries as below:

I am unable to find a way to remove the older versions of these apps. Is there a solution for this?

Regards

Eric_Taylor, Aug 31, 2019
  3. WindowsApps Folder Cleanup

Hi,

I've noticed, thanks to SpaceSniffer, that the Windowsapps folder is huge (2,4 Gb). That sounds strange since I don't have that lot of apps running.

I've gained access to the WApps folder taking ownership and there are a lot of old/unused/unknown folders referring to long time gone apps (2 Candy crush folders for 200Mb each??). I've managed to delete one of them (gaining full control) but for the rest
    of the stuff it doesn't seem to be quite easy getting rid of them (I'm stuck with no full control permissions).

I've tried "Get-AppxPackage -allusers PackageFullName | Remove-AppxPackage" command and "dism /online /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageNameWindowsApps folder has 2 duplicate unusable, undiscoverable 65GB installations of Gears 5 :packageFullName" command in a powershell elevated perm window, both with no luck.

I'm considering to use brute force (from a bootable linux stick) and get rid of the most heavy packages:

Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2018.18081.14710.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Microsoft.Office.OneNote_16001.10827.20178.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Microsoft.Office.OneNote_16001.10827.20152.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Microsoft.SkypeApp_12.1815.210.0_x64__kzf8qxf38zg5c

Microsoft.MSPaint_5.1809.1017.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Microsoft.ZuneVideo_10.18082.10311.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Microsoft.ZuneMusic_10.18091.10321.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Microsoft.XboxApp_44.44.7002.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_17.10314.31700.1000_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Microsoft.BingFinance_4.26.12334.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Microsoft.BingSports_4.25.11802.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

but to be sure to have win10 boot again I'm asking if there's any problem considering:

- Inside C:\Program Files\WindowsApps the are 239 folders

- if I run "Get-AppxPackage | Select Name, PackageFullName" it returns a list of more or less 90 packages

- if I run "dism /online /Get-ProvisionedAppxPackages" it returns a list of 20 packages

- NONE of the packages I'm planning to delete are found by the commands above (they are present only in the winapps folder)

I'm working on a win10 installation than comes with no formatting from 8.1 (I've got the idea that this stuff has been layered by the windows releases)

Any suggestion is very appreciated.

DavideMontarsolo, Aug 31, 2019
  4. S.cloris Win User

WindowsApps folder has 2 duplicate unusable, undiscoverable 65GB installations of Gears 5

WindowsApps folder says permissions are corrupted and need to be deleted, is this normal or critical?

According to your description, I suggest you try the following steps:

1. Navigate to the location C:\Program Files.
    2. Right-click on the WindowsApps folder, and select Properties.
    3. Turn to Security tab and click on Advanced.
    4. Click on Change and then type Users in Enter the object name to select area.
    5. Click on OK, then click Apply > OK. You can also add the TrustedInstaller to the users list and check if it takes effect.

However, you might be still not able to access the files. The workaround is to go inside the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\, and repeat the same way with the Microsoft.WindowsStore* folders.

S.cloris, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

WindowsApps folder has 2 duplicate unusable, undiscoverable 65GB installations of Gears 5

1. WindowsApps folder has 2 duplicate unusable, undiscoverable 65GB installations of Gears 5 - Similar Threads - WindowsApps folder has

2. Unable to delete unused WindowsApps folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete unused WindowsApps folder: I downloaded a game from Microsoft Store to an external SSD and ended up needing to move it to an internal HDD to get it to run. I used the Apps and Features options to move the game. It successfully moved it to the HDD, but it left a copy of all of the game files in a...
  3. Gears 5 won't install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gears 5 won't install: I have updated Windows 10, reinstalled the Gaming Services app, have restarted my computer more times than I can remember and tried every other troubleshooting recommendation out there I could find, but Gears 5 still will not install on my PC. Any new ideas?...
  4. Gears 5

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Gears 5: i bought gear of war 5 on steam and it wont launch it says windows cannot find'shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.HalifaxBaseGame_8wekyb3d8bbwel!App' i need help fixing this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gears-5/d79d8e6b-843e-48aa-9d55-95a2919d53ae
  5. Gears 5

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Gears 5: Everyime i try and load on online game in versus it trys then times out and saod there was an error connecting. Im connected to tye internet pleaee help this is on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gears-5/7735ed79-9a72-407c-bd2a-e2cd7d9f290a
  6. Gears 5 Installation Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gears 5 Installation Issues: Hello, I recently redeemed a 'Gear 5 and bonus Gears of War 4' bundle in the Microsoft Store with a code a purchased online. When installing, the bundle only installs Gears of War 4, but not Gears 5, and there is no option for me to install just Gears 5. This is my first...
  7. gears 5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    gears 5: Hi, i bought gears 5 from the store on win 10. When i go to the store it says i own the game, but it wont let me install it. tried several times, restarted my pc, signed out and back in on the app, nothing works. can you help?...
  8. Microsoft store Gears 5 Installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store Gears 5 Installation: Hi, I had no issues installing Gears of War 5 via Gamepass to my PC, and once it got to about 66% i had to shut off my pc with the intention of resuming installation the next day, however it just says that the game is installed, but when launching the game, it displays only...
  9. Gears of War 5 will not finish installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gears of War 5 will not finish installation: [ATTACH]On the windows store it does not give me an option to continue installation. [ATTACH] But as you can see on the main menu of the game it is stuck at 86%. There is nothing showing me progress of it installing anywhere, nor can i find an option on the game UI to...
  10. Cant install gears 5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant install gears 5: im on the 1903 update on the xbox beta app and when i try to preload the game it says i need to free up space. Everything else has downloaded to my e drive with over 1tb of free space just fine but gears wants to download to my c drive which doesnt have the room for it and i...