Windows 10: WindowsApps Folder i want it back just on C: and not a different drive

Discus and support WindowsApps Folder i want it back just on C: and not a different drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win 1909 OS Build 18363.1016 So i have a bit of a dilemma. I while back i decided to change my install location for Apps i downloaded from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thedoc46, Aug 27, 2020.

1. thedoc46 Win User

WindowsApps Folder i want it back just on C: and not a different drive

Win 1909 OS Build 18363.1016

So i have a bit of a dilemma. I while back i decided to change my install location for Apps i downloaded from the Microsoft Store to a different drive. I've since changed all my storage settings back to my c: drive, and have even gone into App's and Features, to ensure nothing is installed on the 'other drive' Nothing is.. Everything that was on there was moved back to C:

However there's still a pesky WindowsApp folder, residing on there, that doesn't give me any access whatsoever. Making matters worse is i have about 500gb of other non OS related files on that drive. Given windows still considers it a 'system' drive, it's causing me some headaches.

For example, if i try and use System Image, to make an image, it looks at that drive, as part of the system and wants to include an image of that entire drive, (all that extra 500gb of non-system data included) as part the system image backup.... making a system restore take a lot longer than it otherwise would.

Any idea's on what one can do, to de-commision a once upon a time system drive, it so Windows doesn't think its still an integral part of the operating system ?

Advice appreciated.

:)

thedoc46, Aug 27, 2020
  2. S.cloris Win User

WindowsApps folder says permissions are corrupted and need to be deleted, is this normal or critical?

According to your description, I suggest you try the following steps:

1. Navigate to the location C:\Program Files.
    2. Right-click on the WindowsApps folder, and select Properties.
    3. Turn to Security tab and click on Advanced.
    4. Click on Change and then type Users in Enter the object name to select area.
    5. Click on OK, then click Apply > OK. You can also add the TrustedInstaller to the users list and check if it takes effect.

However, you might be still not able to access the files. The workaround is to go inside the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\, and repeat the same way with the Microsoft.WindowsStore* folders.

S.cloris, Aug 28, 2020
  3. WindowsApps folder on other drives/partitions other than C:\

I just discovered that attempting to take ownership of the WindowsApps folder on any drive but C:\ isn't working correctly.

If you process this on C:\Program Files\WindowsApps, it works just fine. But any other drive letter; IE E:\WindowsApps, it will display that you have taken ownership, but you cannot access the folder.

A little bit more digging, after processing ownership, you CAN access it under safe mode and make further edits to the folder permissions, but if you go back into a normal boot, you cannot access the folder.

I understand that these folders have these settings for a reason, but if we are allowed to take ownership, we should then be able to access them.

MaximusX800, Aug 28, 2020
  4. jkteddy77 Win User

Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?

Hmm, which is faster. I attempted a Live Linux Drive already but it was very slow and would not boot, not to mention I don't know a thing about using linux.

Would option 2 be easier? I looked at Macrium, but the install steps themselves are confusing me, and I fear not knowing how to navigate it once I boot to it.

EDIT: I installed Macrium Reflect Free, went through these steps to create the media.
    Don't forget to check the UEFI/MBR box if you are attempting this yourself.
    I then booted to it, "browsed my files for an image", but for real, navigate to the WindowsApps folder on your secondary drive, and delete it. It doesn't disappear instantly, but when you exit the drive, and log back into windows, the folder will be gone.

Thanks for the suggestion cereberus!

jkteddy77, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

1. WindowsApps Folder i want it back just on C: and not a different drive - Similar Threads - WindowsApps Folder different

2. I just want to get back to chat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just want to get back to chat: I have error 0xA00F4244 I WAS IN CHAT CANT GET BACK THERE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-just-want-to-get-back-to-chat/67c80d3b-d4cd-489a-903a-a3e62f20002c
  3. I just want to get back to chat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I just want to get back to chat: I have error 0xA00F4244 I WAS IN CHAT CANT GET BACK THERE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-just-want-to-get-back-to-chat/67c80d3b-d4cd-489a-903a-a3e62f20002c
  4. I just want to get back to chat

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. a windowsapp folder in E drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    a windowsapp folder in E drive: so there is a windows apps follder in my e drive i have taken full control of it and and found 2 folders one named "deleted" and other is "Mutablebackup" and both are empty folders.. Shall i delete it? is it safe to delete? i am scared that if i delete it it will corrupt...
  6. bitlocker is just showing for C drive, I want to encrypt D Drive but there is no option

in Windows 10 Customization
    bitlocker is just showing for C drive, I want to encrypt D Drive but there is no option: Hello; i want to encrypt my D drive but there is no option available, just showing For C drive only. D drive is NTFS Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-is-just-showing-for-c-drive-i-want-to/b3ba5b67-f738-4957-b514-cd2f1244d89b
  7. Should I move applications folder back to C drive?

Should I move applications folder back to C drive?: Hello, When my machine was new several months ago I moved my applications folder to a different hard drive but have only been able to install Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Acrobat in the applications folder on the drive other than C. Microsoft Word, Excel etc., according...
  8. i want to fix windowsapps.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i want to fix windowsapps.: OS:Windows 10 Version:about all of them starting with 1507 hey i've been trying to fix the windowsapps folder without reinstalling windows again, i've tried xcopy with every permission,attributes, and about everything from a clean untouched folder copied straight from...
  9. i want to fix windowsapps.

in Windows 10 Support
    i want to fix windowsapps.: OS:Windows 10 Version:about all of them starting with 1507 hey i've been trying to fix the windowsapps folder without reinstalling windows again, i've tried xcopy with every permission,attributes, and about everything from a clean untouched folder copied straight from...
  10. i want to share a folder in c drive

i want to share a folder in c drive: I have shares one folder saved in c drive, but not able to click the same on network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-share-a-folder-in-c-drive/11464186-931c-47ff-9ccb-98eea4c49ea0