Windows 10: WindowsApps folder on external drive won't delete, tried everything

Discus and support WindowsApps folder on external drive won't delete, tried everything in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have taken ownership, switched all the files in my drive to be owned by me and give me full control and even tried command prompt and it still won't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/marffff777, Mar 27, 2021.

1. WindowsApps folder on external drive won't delete, tried everything

I have taken ownership, switched all the files in my drive to be owned by me and give me full control and even tried command prompt and it still won't delete. I am starting to think that my only option is to take all of my data (except the WindowsApps folder) off the drive and then formate the entire drive. Is there any other options I have? The only think I have seen is ppl recommending to use a Linux operating system to delete it which I don't have access to or have the knowledge to set up. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: The message I keep getting is the system telling me that a file I'm trying to delete is "open in system" which dosnt make sense because it's an external drive and the only programs installed are some halo games from Xbox game pass. If I click to skip the file it will just go to the next file with the same message.

submitted by /u/marffff777
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/marffff777, Mar 27, 2021
  2. jkteddy77 Win User

Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?

Hmm, which is faster. I attempted a Live Linux Drive already but it was very slow and would not boot, not to mention I don't know a thing about using linux.

Would option 2 be easier? I looked at Macrium, but the install steps themselves are confusing me, and I fear not knowing how to navigate it once I boot to it.

EDIT: I installed Macrium Reflect Free, went through these steps to create the media.
    Don't forget to check the UEFI/MBR box if you are attempting this yourself.
    I then booted to it, "browsed my files for an image", but for real, navigate to the WindowsApps folder on your secondary drive, and delete it. It doesn't disappear instantly, but when you exit the drive, and log back into windows, the folder will be gone.

Thanks for the suggestion cereberus!

jkteddy77, Mar 28, 2021
  3. cereberus Win User
    Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?

There are two tools essential tools that everyone one should always have - Macrium Reflect Free and a dishwasher. *Smile.

cereberus, Mar 28, 2021
  4. steve_750 Win User

WindowsApps folder on external drive won't delete, tried everything

RETRIEVE FILES FROM WINDOWSAPP EXTERNAL DRIVE

I discovered a "windowsapp" folder that unknowingly appeared on an external drive after I inadvertently moved a folder into it. I an not concerned about any of the window files, but I need to retrieve the folder with many of
    my own files. I have been unable to access, move or edit the "windowsapp" folder.

I am concerned windows will automatically attempt to restore this folder by replacing "old" windows files with "new" window files, and the folder moved into it by accident, gets deleted in the process, etc.

How can I extract or access my files from the windowsapp folder on my external drive?

steve_750, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

WindowsApps folder on external drive won't delete, tried everything

1. WindowsApps folder on external drive won't delete, tried everything - Similar Threads - WindowsApps folder external

2. WindowsApps folder won't delete on external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WindowsApps folder won't delete on external drive: I have tried deleting the WindowsApps folder from my external SSD but I cant take ownership of it, I have tried doing a force delete using Windows Powershell and a registry tweak to give myself ownership of the file and when I try to manually take ownership of the file, it...
  3. WindowsApps folder won't delete on external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WindowsApps folder won't delete on external drive: I have tried deleting the WindowsApps folder from my external SSD but I cant take ownership of it, I have tried doing a force delete using Windows Powershell and a registry tweak to give myself ownership of the file and when I try to manually take ownership of the file, it...
  4. Broken WindowsApp folder in external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Broken WindowsApp folder in external drive: So I have the game pass and I'm trying to find out what's been blocking me from installing it to my external drive. Long story short I use to be able to, but recently became incapable of it, only to find a windowsapp folder on the drive that's empty and with no stated owner....
  5. Broken WindowsApp folder in external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken WindowsApp folder in external drive: So I have the game pass and I'm trying to find out what's been blocking me from installing it to my external drive. Long story short I use to be able to, but recently became incapable of it, only to find a windowsapp folder on the drive that's empty and with no stated owner....
  6. Broken WindowsApp folder in external drive

7. Deleting WindowsApps Folder from an external Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting WindowsApps Folder from an external Hard Drive: HelloI have been unable to find the answer to this questionI have and external hard drive that I used to use with a Windows 10 laptop, I recently got a windows 11 desktop and I was trying to clean some stuff off of the External HD and noticed that it has a WindowsApps folder...
  8. Deleting WindowsApps Folder from an external Hard Drive

Deleting WindowsApps Folder from an external Hard Drive: HelloI have been unable to find the answer to this questionI have and external hard drive that I used to use with a Windows 10 laptop, I recently got a windows 11 desktop and I was trying to clean some stuff off of the External HD and noticed that it has a WindowsApps folder...
  9. How to Access Windowsapp Folder On External Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Access Windowsapp Folder On External Drive: Hello, I have been looking for a while and cannot seem to find an answer to my problem. That being said, I changed the location for windows apps to install to my new external ssd drive. The issue is that I am not allowed access to the windowsapp folder it created on said...
  10. Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?: I set the Storage option for Windows Store to start installing apps too my D:/ Because of that, it created a folder called WindowsApps. Now it's time that I want to delete that folder, and all access is denied. I tried changing the permissions to my admin account and...