Windows 10: WindowsApps folder: Unable to add or change files

Discus and support WindowsApps folder: Unable to add or change files in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Ok, this is a problem I've been trying to research. None of the guides work. I need some help. I want to change some files for one of the programs... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by FailSafeNow, Jan 14, 2021.

1. WindowsApps folder: Unable to add or change files

Ok, this is a problem I've been trying to research. None of the guides work. I need some help.

I want to change some files for one of the programs that lives in WindowsApps (on Windows 10). I can't do it. I can delete files and folders. I can add things to the WindowsApps directory. But when it comes to adding or changing things within any subfolder of WindowsApps, I simply can't do it. The computer tells me I need permission, every time, without fail.

I have taken ownership of the WindowsApps folder, and all the files and folders in it. I have taken ownership till I'm blue in the face. I can confirm that I absolutely, 100% have ownership. I have given Full Control to my account (Administrator), to the Administrators group, and to Everyone. These things are supposed to be magic bullets. But I still can't change or add files. I have tried
    takeown /f "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps" /a /r /d y
    icacls "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators*SadOI)(CI)F /t /c
    and it hasn't made any difference. What do I do? How do I force the system to let me do what I want?

Please, please take note of what I have already done. Please do not tell me that I just need to take ownership of the folders, because I've already done that. It didn't work. I need some stronger mojo.

Thank you.

:)

FailSafeNow, Jan 14, 2021
  2. S.cloris Win User

WindowsApps folder says permissions are corrupted and need to be deleted, is this normal or critical?

According to your description, I suggest you try the following steps:

1. Navigate to the location C:\Program Files.
    2. Right-click on the WindowsApps folder, and select Properties.
    3. Turn to Security tab and click on Advanced.
    4. Click on Change and then type Users in Enter the object name to select area.
    5. Click on OK, then click Apply > OK. You can also add the TrustedInstaller to the users list and check if it takes effect.

However, you might be still not able to access the files. The workaround is to go inside the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\, and repeat the same way with the Microsoft.WindowsStore* folders.

S.cloris, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Ramon Imp Win User
    WindowsApps folder is empty

Hi,

WindowsApps folder is where files of all default and Store apps are stored. For us to effectively assist you with your concern, we would like to know the following:

• Are you having issues with the Windows apps on your PC?
    • When was the last time you saw the contents of the the WindowsApps folder?
    • Were there any changes made prior to your concern?

Regards.

Ramon Imp, Jan 14, 2021
  4. WindowsApps folder: Unable to add or change files

WINDOWSAPPS FILE

Hi,

For us to provide you an accurate resolution regarding your WindowsApps folder issue, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any updates made on your computer prior to this concern?
    • Send us a screenshot of your WindowsApps and WindowsAppsOld folders so that we can double check the issue.
    • When did the issue first begin?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve this?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

WindowsApps folder: Unable to add or change files

1. WindowsApps folder: Unable to add or change files - Similar Threads - WindowsApps folder Unable

2. Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder: I used to use the desktop Xbox app. I no longer do and it has left a 25GB folder on my drive that I can't delete. I've taken ownership of the folder, which was a hastle in the first place, but now even after taking ownership I can't delete it or it's contents. I've tried...
  3. Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder: I used to use the desktop Xbox app. I no longer do and it has left a 25GB folder on my drive that I can't delete. I've taken ownership of the folder, which was a hastle in the first place, but now even after taking ownership I can't delete it or it's contents. I've tried...
  4. Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Help, Unable to delete WindowsApp folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help, Unable to delete WindowsApp folder: This issue has plague me ever since I started using Microsoft Store Apps and Xbox on Windows 10 I wasn't able to make any changes to the folder even after taking over ownership/removing trusted seller/everyone aside from myself/giving full control to...
  6. Help, Unable to delete WindowsApp folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help, Unable to delete WindowsApp folder: This issue has plague me ever since I started using Microsoft Store Apps and Xbox on Windows 10 I wasn't able to make any changes to the folder even after taking over ownership/removing trusted seller/everyone aside from myself/giving full control to...
  7. Unable to delete unused WindowsApps folder

Unable to delete unused WindowsApps folder: I downloaded a game from Microsoft Store to an external SSD and ended up needing to move it to an internal HDD to get it to run. I used the Apps and Features options to move the game. It successfully moved it to the HDD, but it left a copy of all of the game files in a...
  8. Changing the ownership of WindowsApps folder and subfolders/files

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Changing the ownership of WindowsApps folder and subfolders/files: So I've had this issue for a long while. I can change the permission of the main WindowsApps folder, and it tells me I can change the permissions for its contents to match the same, but it just.... doesn't. I mod games, and so I want to try my hand at modding files in this...
  9. Unable to add folders to File History Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to add folders to File History Backup: Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right place to post. I’m trying to create a backup as part of a course and I’m running into issues. The assignment specifies using backup and restore (windows 7) for this, but when I click on setup backup nothing happens. The spinning wheel...
  10. Unknown file in WindowsApp folder - unable to delete

Unknown file in WindowsApp folder - unable to delete: Hello, after having issues cleaning my windowsApp folder, il discovered inside it another folder called MSIXVC, with inside, a gigantic 54.8Go file called " A23B7721-871B-4AD0-805D-C50F8EAA5363 " , and it's just a file, no extensions, nothing. It's surely a game or a...