Windows 10: WindowsApps on D:\ Drive

Discus and support WindowsApps on D:\ Drive in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Hi, I have a few games from the Microsoft store on my D:\ drive. I was trying to modify the files of these games but all of the files have locks on... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by GustavChushubu, Apr 21, 2021.

1. WindowsApps on D:\ Drive

Hi,

I have a few games from the Microsoft store on my D:\ drive. I was trying to modify the files of these games but all of the files have locks on them, and when I try to open them they tell me: "You don't have permission to open the file. See the owner or an administrator to obtain permission." The thing is, I own the file and have admin rights on the computer. The games that I have on my C:\ drive let me access the files just fine, the only problem are the ones on my D:\ drive. I have seen other posts about the same thing, but to fix it they booted into linux and just did what they needed to do there. I was just wondering if there is a better way to fix this that would let me stay in windows. I am on version 2004, build 19041.928. Any help is appreciated!

:)

GustavChushubu, Apr 21, 2021

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Apr 21, 2021
  3. Jordandr Win User
    Cannot delete old WindowsApps folder from transferred D drive

I transferred a D drive with an old WindowsApps folder used for Xbox Game Pass to a new computer. When I tried to put the D drive as the default save location it gives me error code 0x80070005.

I was able to rename the old folder to "Old WindowsApps" so that the computer could place a new default "WindowsApps" save folder in my D drive.

I've already:

1. Made sure my time zone is correct
    2. Tried to delete in Safe Mode
    3. Made sure I am admin in general (2nd screenshot)
    4. Set myself as admin of folder and all subfolders (1st screenshot)
    5. Reset the Windows store page

I already have a new WindowsApps folder for Xbox games, how do I delete the old one?

WindowsApps on D:\ Drive f7ae0e94-9967-4052-923d-0dff48a40e3b?upload=true.png

WindowsApps on D:\ Drive ea87999f-839b-4e9b-aedb-57aeb42a9cfe?upload=true.png

Jordandr, Apr 21, 2021
  4. DadiB Win User

WindowsApps on D:\ Drive

"D:\WindowsApps\Deleted" empty folder and lost apps installed on the D: drive

Expected:

Getting back ms store apps

Happening:

Under "D:\WindowsApps\" there's an empty "deleted" folder

Steps to reproduce it:

Have Windows 10 1803

Have in storage settings the "store apps in" set to the D: drive

Have a ms store app installed on the D: drive(In my case Rise Of The Tomb Raider)

Upgrade to Windows 10 1809

It should miss the app in the start menu

In ms store-> download the app

Downloads a few KB and shows the app again in the start menu, and you can use it normally

Refresh windows but without removing personal file(because I had troubles with internet access that I wasn't able to fix)

Wait it to reinstall windows

Look with administrator cmd dir command inside "D:\WindowsApps\" and you should see "appname_xyz" folder with inside all its data.

Change again the storage option to the D: drive (It was resetted by the refresh)

Reinstall the app from ms store to show it in start

You should now see that it will start downloading the app again (33 GB)

Stop the download

Check again with administrator cmd with dir inside "D:\WindowsApps\" and you should see a "deleted" folder of 0 bytes and the "appname_xyz" missing

Question

Is there a way to get back the "appname_xyz" folder with its data or it's too late? Also in case I should reinstall the app, which is paid and has a max of 10 pcs to be installed on, does it count as a new pc?

DadiB, Apr 21, 2021
Thema:

WindowsApps on D:\ Drive

1. WindowsApps on D:\ Drive - Similar Threads - WindowsApps Drive

2. WindowsApps folder won't delete on external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WindowsApps folder won't delete on external drive: I have tried deleting the WindowsApps folder from my external SSD but I cant take ownership of it, I have tried doing a force delete using Windows Powershell and a registry tweak to give myself ownership of the file and when I try to manually take ownership of the file, it...
  3. WindowsApps folder won't delete on external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WindowsApps folder won't delete on external drive: I have tried deleting the WindowsApps folder from my external SSD but I cant take ownership of it, I have tried doing a force delete using Windows Powershell and a registry tweak to give myself ownership of the file and when I try to manually take ownership of the file, it...
  4. Is it ok to delete the “WindowsApps” folder in hard drives other than the system drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it ok to delete the “WindowsApps” folder in hard drives other than the system drive?: I had two WindowsApps folders in the “program files” folder, one was in my system drive and one was in my other internal hard drive. The one in my system drive did not allow me to open it, while the one in my other hard drive let me open it. I deleted the WindowsApps folder...
  5. Is it ok to delete the “WindowsApps” folder in hard drives other than the system drive?

Is it ok to delete the “WindowsApps” folder in hard drives other than the system drive?: I had two WindowsApps folders in the “program files” folder, one was in my system drive and one was in my other internal hard drive. The one in my system drive did not allow me to open it, while the one in my other hard drive let me open it. I deleted the WindowsApps folder...
  6. I have several apps saved in the WindowsApps folder on my C: drive. I am wondering if it is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have several apps saved in the WindowsApps folder on my C: drive. I am wondering if it is...: My laptop is getting very low on space and there are several apps in the WindowsApps folder in my C drive I do not use and I do not believe them to be essential. These apps/programs includes Microsoft Office and it's connected programs and Skype. I use a separate program to...
  7. I have several apps saved in the WindowsApps folder on my C: drive. I am wondering if it is...

I have several apps saved in the WindowsApps folder on my C: drive. I am wondering if it is...: My laptop is getting very low on space and there are several apps in the WindowsApps folder in my C drive I do not use and I do not believe them to be essential. These apps/programs includes Microsoft Office and it's connected programs and Skype. I use a separate program to...
  8. I have several apps saved in the WindowsApps folder on my C: drive. I am wondering if it is...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. "This drive has apps from another device", but no "WindowsApps", "WpSystem" or "Program...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "This drive has apps from another device", but no "WindowsApps", "WpSystem" or "Program...: Hello,I recently reinstalled Windows 11 on my computer due to some problems. Before the reinstallation I physically removed my D drive, which contained some Microsoft Store applications from my previous version of Windows.Following reinstallation, I reconnected the disk and...
  10. "This drive has apps from another device", but no "WindowsApps", "WpSystem" or "Program...

"This drive has apps from another device", but no "WindowsApps", "WpSystem" or "Program...: Hello,I recently reinstalled Windows 11 on my computer due to some problems. Before the reinstallation I physically removed my D drive, which contained some Microsoft Store applications from my previous version of Windows.Following reinstallation, I reconnected the disk and...