Windows 10: WindowsApps permissions screw up

Discus and support WindowsApps permissions screw up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey, so recently I was trying to install a shader mod to my Halo MCC, and this required me to access its binary exe in WindowsApps. I am not too... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndrewHoward7, Feb 23, 2020.

1. WindowsApps permissions screw up

Hey, so recently I was trying to install a shader mod to my Halo MCC, and this required me to access its binary exe in WindowsApps. I am not too skilled with stuff this deep in computers WindowsApps does not let me access it, so I tried to give myself permission. I went into properties, security tab, advanced, hit the "Change" button with the admin logo next to it. I then typed my username, check names, pressed ok, and checked the boxes "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object" and hit apply. It processed my command but kept giving me errors that were for individual files so I clicked continue as in skip i guess Im trying my best to remember what happened on all of them and I was clicking errors for about 5 minutes until I thought it would be a great idea to press the "x" to cancel the process. It then told me something along the lines of "Uh why did you do this and if you made a mistake please reset all permissions immediately". My desktop apps were all blank file icons, and so I opened an admin command prompt and reset permissions to WindowsApps using "icacls "full path to the folder" /reset /t /c /l". It finished and told me it successfully processed 46754 files and failed to process 35 files. After this, everything else seems to be fixed and work perfectly fine besides my Halo MCC which still displays as a blank icon, When i try to launch it takes me to the microsoft store as if its not downloaded and I get two "The parameter is incorrect" errors everytime I restart my computer. One says its for explorer.exe and the other is for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.GamingApp_2002.1001etc... How do I fix my colossal mistake?

:)

AndrewHoward7, Feb 23, 2020

2. Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...

I have been tearing what little hair I have left out of my head trying to copy a file from my desktop to the appropriate folder in the Kodi folder buried in the XBMC… folder in Windowsapps in a brand-new fairly high-end laptop running Windows 10 Pro. I cannot get beyond first what appears to be a UAC “Destination Folder Access Denied” error message saying “You’ll need to provide administrative permission to copy to this folder.” If I click on the UAC “continue” button I get another “Destination Folder Access Denied” error box saying “You need permission to perform this action.” The second error box has only “Try Again” and “Cancel” buttons. Nothing is listed under “More details” in either error box.

Here is most of what I have tried:

1. changing ownership of Windowsapps and all folders below it to my Microsoft account user and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    2. changing ownership to administrators group for Windowsapps and all folders below it and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    3. enabling the “hidden” administrator account, going back to my Microsoft user account and granting full-control rights to the administrator account, returning to the administrator account, taking control with that account, granting full control permission to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    4. creating a new administrator account and repeating 3;
    5. completely disabling UAC through the registry, once in the default administrator account and once in my Microsoft account user.
    6. adding and using the “Take Ownership” context option on a Windowsapps folder as described in the Tutorial at Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 ; and
    7. running the following commands in an administrator command window:

Code:
    Code:
    takeown /f "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps" /a /r /d y   icacls "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /t /c 
    as suggested at: Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders... - Windows 10 Forums
    In fact, even if I do an explicit copy from an administrator command window, I get an “access is denied” notice.

None of the many sources I have looked at online are of any help in dealing with this blockage. Please help — not only do I need to get full-control access to Windowsapps and its subfolders for this purpose, I also need to get full-control permission to Windowsapps folders in order to get rid of an annoying McAffee startup.exe which pops an error box on every boot up even though I removed McAffee in the normal way.

How can I get assured access to Windowsapps folders???

jedpaquette, Feb 23, 2020
  3. S.cloris Win User
    WindowsApps folder says permissions are corrupted and need to be deleted, is this normal or critical?

According to your description, I suggest you try the following steps:

1. Navigate to the location C:\Program Files.
    2. Right-click on the WindowsApps folder, and select Properties.
    3. Turn to Security tab and click on Advanced.
    4. Click on Change and then type Users in Enter the object name to select area.
    5. Click on OK, then click Apply > OK. You can also add the TrustedInstaller to the users list and check if it takes effect.

However, you might be still not able to access the files. The workaround is to go inside the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\, and repeat the same way with the Microsoft.WindowsStore* folders.

S.cloris, Feb 23, 2020
  4. Eagle51 Win User

WindowsApps permissions screw up

Getting full access to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

Hey x509,
    IIRC ... it's not actually a corrupt entry, but a special permission/condition (Exists:WIN://SYSAPPID) for Users(Pc-Name\Users) and shouldn't be removed. If you must change permissions on the WindowsApps folder and/or sub folders/files .... I suggest you get familiar with ICACLS first and save the current WindowsApps Folder / Sub Folders / File permissions to a acl.txt file, so you can restore them in case you break something (which is very likely when messing with permissions)

ICACLS - iCacls - Modify Access Control List - Windows CMD - SS64.com

Eagle51, Feb 23, 2020
Thema:

WindowsApps permissions screw up

1. WindowsApps permissions screw up - Similar Threads - WindowsApps permissions screw

2. Permission for WindowsApps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permission for WindowsApps: I recently noticed that Windows is unable to access the content inside WindowsApps. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permission-for-windowsapps/dd6685e6-0959-412a-a6cb-33c5316ef562
  3. Permission for WindowsApps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permission for WindowsApps: I recently noticed that Windows is unable to access the content inside WindowsApps. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permission-for-windowsapps/dd6685e6-0959-412a-a6cb-33c5316ef562
  4. Windowsapps permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windowsapps permission: I recently was messing about with the windowsapps folder. After messing with it a lot of my games, apps, etc won't load they crash immediately. I tried reverting the changes I made which didn't do anything, ran the system scan, updated windows, and thru the media installer...
  5. Windowsapps permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windowsapps permission: I recently was messing about with the windowsapps folder. After messing with it a lot of my games, apps, etc won't load they crash immediately. I tried reverting the changes I made which didn't do anything, ran the system scan, updated windows, and thru the media installer...
  6. Windowsapps permission

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. WindowsApps folder permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WindowsApps folder permission: After following the instructions from = WindowsApps folder permission - Microsoft Community , I keep getting this error I'm using Windows11 by the way...I'm actually trying to copy a game downloaded from Microsoft Store to my external hard drive as I want to perform a clean...
  8. Windowsapps permission

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windowsapps permission: I am trying to change the name of a folder in the windows apps folder. I am the owner of the folder but I cant rename it. It's says I need access from myself. What do I do? submitted by /u/TitusHM1 [link] [comments]...
  9. Permissions seem to be screwed up

Permissions seem to be screwed up: My sole-use Windows 10 system seems to be screwed up. I am getting various manifestations of being unable to access files that I own. I can access anything in safe mode, but not when I log in with my normal user name which has administrator rights. The files affected all show...
  10. Problem with WindowsApps permissions

Problem with WindowsApps permissions: Hi! Recently i installed a game called Yakuza 0 from the windows store but theres one problem, in-game all the buttons are displayed as xbox buttons, but i dont have the coordination to press the buttons at the right time in quick time events or minigames since i've used...