Windows 10: Windowss 10 Update has bricked my laptop. I havea no CD drive and no product key

Discus and support Windowss 10 Update has bricked my laptop. I havea no CD drive and no product key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a HP laptop with a small solid state drive (approx. free space 5.8GB). The latest update needed 10GB+ so I followed the instructions and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MarkSimpson8, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Windowss 10 Update has bricked my laptop. I havea no CD drive and no product key

I have a HP laptop with a small solid state drive (approx. free space 5.8GB). The latest update needed 10GB+ so I followed the instructions and connected an external disk drive via USB. The system has not local CD drive. The upgrade failed after around 3 hours and all automatic efforts to restore to previous versions fail. Either it loops or asks for me to insert the external media.

I don't have a boot or recovery disk as no CD player. I don't have the product key as it was embedded on the laptop. How do I recover it as I now have an expensive paperweight or doorstop.

Thanks...….Mark

:)

MarkSimpson8, Apr 24, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

CD drive error

1) Close all open programs
    2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
    7) Reboot your computer
    8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

And it likely has something to do with the emulated drive you have listed there.

newtekie1, Apr 24, 2019
  3. KomouPoji Win User
    how to copy files from the CD to the Computer drive

Hi Hankriegler,

I would suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click file explorer from the list.

• Select the CD/DVD drive and hit Enter.

• Select the files you want to copy from the CD/DVD, then select the drive where you want to paste or save.
    I hope the information is helpful.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Apr 24, 2019
  4. Windowss 10 Update has bricked my laptop. I havea no CD drive and no product key

CD/DVD drive (EWindowss 10 Update has bricked my laptop.  I havea no CD drive and no product key :) will not open, it is detected

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to update the drivers for CD/DVD drive by following the steps below and check if the issue persists.

• Press Windows key + R and select Device Manager from the list.
    • Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.
    • Right click on the driver and select update driver software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts and to update the driver.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 24, 2019
Thema:

Windowss 10 Update has bricked my laptop. I havea no CD drive and no product key

1. Windowss 10 Update has bricked my laptop. I havea no CD drive and no product key - Similar Threads - Windowss Update has

2. Bitlocker has bricked my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker has bricked my laptop: Yesterday morning when I opened my laptop, it went to Bitlocker recovery.It cannot be bypassed - makes senseI tried all of the “reset” options, with/without files - all failI can see the laptop on my MS account, but the bitlocker key page, every way I have tried to open it...
  3. Bitlocker has bricked my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker has bricked my laptop: Yesterday morning when I opened my laptop, it went to Bitlocker recovery.It cannot be bypassed - makes senseI tried all of the “reset” options, with/without files - all failI can see the laptop on my MS account, but the bitlocker key page, every way I have tried to open it...
  4. Windows update bricked my laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update bricked my laptop.: I was working on my laptop - Acer Aspire 7 A715-42G which was running on Windows 11. I got a pop up that asked me if I wanted to update now or update later. I clicked on later. Took a break of 15 mins and closed the lid of my laptop. When I came back, and checked it, there...
  5. wibdows update has bricked my lenovo laptop, will not boot up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    wibdows update has bricked my lenovo laptop, will not boot up: My daughters lenovo laptop loaded Windows 10 update and it will now no longer start up. It stays in a cycle saying repairing.This is not good as she needs the laptop for working from home during the COVID pandemic. How can I get it to boot?...
  6. Update bricked laptop

Update bricked laptop: Lenovo x1 running Windows 10 Pro. There was an Office update. After restarting, my laptop went into endless automatic repair loop. Uninstall recent updates didn't work. Multiple restore points failed. Unable to repair by cloud or by USB. How can I get a working PC without...
  7. windowss 10

windowss 10: when will Microsoft releasing windows 10 2021 H1 update with major os update like mac os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windowss-10/f35642b9-b9cb-4d86-8988-906e92cebdb5
  8. Windows 10 Update bricked my laptop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Update bricked my laptop.: So long story short, I was forced into an update by windows on my laptop. Said update now has stuck me in a boot loop where it resets after flashing up on the screen saying "undoing changes made by windows update". The only thing I can acess is the BIOS. Any help would be...
  9. windows 10 update bricked my laptop

windows 10 update bricked my laptop: so I'm the kinda person who doesn't like that windows 10 is always sneaking around on my metered internet connection downloading updates with my data that costs me money without my consent but today it got worse.. I bought a new dell laptop with high specs, 16 gigs ram 4...
  10. The latest Windows update has bricked my HP laptop

The latest Windows update has bricked my HP laptop: I was just installing the latest Windows updates. They failed, so I tried to run it manually. It asked to restart, which I've done. As a result, I get the ibitial losing screen, followed by a blank screen. I can hear the fan ticking away, but nothing else. I'm on a HP...