Windows 10: Windwos Defender could not start due to missing file. Error 2

Discus and support Windwos Defender could not start due to missing file. Error 2 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Windows 10 Microsoft Windows Defender Service could not start. Error 2 "Could not find the file". Indeed the Path "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BBKind, Jun 8, 2023.

1. BBKind Win User

Windwos Defender could not start due to missing file. Error 2

Windows 10 Microsoft Windows Defender Service could not start. Error 2 "Could not find the file". Indeed the Path "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2302.7-0\MsMpEng.exe" is not valid. Under plattform I have the folders 4.18.2301.6-0 and 4.18.2302.3-0 but not 4.18.2302.7-0 the service refers to.Don't know how to update, un- or reinstall.Windows Update could not update with error 0x80070643Thanks for your helpmy OS is set up in GermanBernd

:)

BBKind, Jun 8, 2023
  2. jarmst Win User

Windows Defender Error 1058: can't start service

I've seen posts regarding similar behavior for Windows 7, but not for Windows 10. I've tried a few of the steps but some of them (like specific registry key updates) are not applicable, since the registry seems different than previous versions.

Symptoms

• Windows Defender always fails to start, gives "Error 1058"
    • Under Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender, every option is greyed out
    • Can't manually start the "Security Center" service
      • Initially set to "Disabled"
      • Change setting to "Automatic," start service manually
      • After a short time, it reverts back to "Disabled"
    Troubleshooting Steps

• Performed virus/malware removal
      • Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, HitmanPro, AdwCleaner, Kaspersky's TDSS Removal, Bitdefender, Spybot
      • Individually installed, scanned, and removed each
      • Found some adware/viruses that were removed
      • Nothing shows up in any scans now (seems like everything active was removed)
    • Checked Group Policy Editor/registry key for the "Disable Windows Defender" setting
      • Made sure everything was set to "enable" Defender
      • Still see symptoms
    • sfc /scannow
      • Showed some errors that couldn't be resolved
      • Seems to be missing critical files in the running and backup file list
      • I have the CBS.log that was ran immediately before posting; not sure how to attach it or if I should include a snippet
      • EDIT: just re-looked through the log output, seems like most of the "check failed" errors were for different shortcut files (Task Scheduler, etc.). Not sure how applicable this is now
    Possible Solutions

• Download + reinstall Windows Defender to replace missing files
      • Not sure if this is even possible, given that it's a core system component in W10
    • Restore Registry keys back to default settings
      • Virus seems to have messed up several places
      • Nothing specific to Windows 10 online for getting Windows Defender back to stock in registry

jarmst, Jun 8, 2023
  3. David Haz Win User
    Can not find script file error

Hello,

This could be due to a missing script file or that an application is causing the error. As a first troubleshooting step, we suggest that you locate or navigate to the location listed in the error and see if the file it is looking for is there. If you are
    unable to locate the file, an application is causing this error to pop-up. If that is the case, we suggest that you boot your PC in Safe Mode and see if the error still pops up. You may follow the steps on this
    link on how to start your PC in Safe Mode.

If the problem does not exist in Safe Mode, we would know that an application is causing the error. However, if the problem is presented while in Safe Mode, the problem may be caused by Windows itself.

We look forward to an update from you.

David Haz, Jun 8, 2023
  4. Rose Cal Win User

missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jun 8, 2023
Thema:

1. Windwos Defender could not start due to missing file. Error 2 - Similar Threads - Windwos Defender start

2. Windwos Defender could not start due to missing file. Error 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windwos Defender could not start due to missing file. Error 2: Windows 10 Microsoft Windows Defender Service could not start. Error 2 "Could not find the file". Indeed the Path "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2302.7-0\MsMpEng.exe" is not valid. Under plattform I have the folders 4.18.2301.6-0 and 4.18.2302.3-0...
  3. Windwos Defender could not start due to missing file. Error 2

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windwos Defender could not start due to missing file. Error 2: Windows 10 Microsoft Windows Defender Service could not start. Error 2 "Could not find the file". Indeed the Path "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2302.7-0\MsMpEng.exe" is not valid. Under plattform I have the folders 4.18.2301.6-0 and 4.18.2302.3-0...
  4. Windows could not start Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows could not start Windows Defender: Hi,I have troubles with starting Windows Defender / Security Service AND Windows Firewall.I tried everything that I found online,1. The BFE is running, but I can't stop it.2. The Windows Defender / Security Service is not running, they start automatically, however the button...
  5. Windows could not start Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows could not start Windows Defender: Hi,I have troubles with starting Windows Defender / Security Service AND Windows Firewall.I tried everything that I found online,1. The BFE is running, but I can't stop it.2. The Windows Defender / Security Service is not running, they start automatically, however the button...
  6. Windows could not start Windows Defender

7. Windows Defender Service Could Not Be Started

Windows Defender Service Could Not Be Started: Split from this thread. windows defender problem show that the service couldn't be started please help this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-service-could-not-be-started/be1665ae-e9b4-4641-bc7f-94ca3200a6dd
  8. Windows could not start the Windows Defender

Windows could not start the Windows Defender: When I try start service Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service I have error: Windows could not start the Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service service on Local Computer. Error 13: The data is invalid....
  9. The backup application could not start due to an internal error

in Windows 10 News
    The backup application could not start due to an internal error: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows comes with an inbuilt backup solution, but if it fails due to an internal error you will see a message which says – The backup application could not start due to an internal error, Server execution failed (0x80080005). This [...] This post The backup...
  10. Skype Weak Connction Error | No service | Windwos Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Skype Weak Connction Error | No service | Windwos Defender: After a cold boot Skype loads but it will not allow me to make calls. When I try to make a call to a landline I get a error message "Your Connection is too weak." I tested the connection and all seems well. Earlier I had an experience where a Windows Defender update wiped...