Windows 10: Winre.wim file has gotten too big

Discus and support Winre.wim file has gotten too big in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I haven't had this computer for very long in terms of lifespans for a normal PC and I haven't been running into the ground. I play games through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TheNoldog, Jul 14, 2018.

1. TheNoldog Win User

Winre.wim file has gotten too big

So I haven't had this computer for very long in terms of lifespans for a normal PC and I haven't been running into the ground. I play games through Steam, watch youtube and the such. Recently I've been having a windows message pop up saying disk space was low and that I need to clean up files. I'd click it, clean the files it said (Recycle bin and DirectX) and then later that same day, get the same message.

After having gone on for 2 weeks and me getting annoyed by it at this point, I investigate said driver and find a file with the hidden option called Winre.wim and this thing is take up almost the entire drive by itself with 401mb. I want to make the messages go away but I ain't a brainiac when it comes to partitions and such, having only seen the word thrown around. I just want to message to stop and to not run into issues in the future as I only have 40mb left with that drive, don't want the file to get even bigger. I know I also can't just delete it either as it's a windows file. Thanks

:)

TheNoldog, Jul 14, 2018
  2. johnspack Win User

Compacting a wim file?

Sorry, no idea where to put this. I just recently learned how to use dism. I use it to slipstream all hotfixes and ie10 ect into an AIO install disc. The problem is, it creates a huge install.wim after 8 index mounts and slipstreams. Considering all 8 images use the same darn wim and files, don't know why it has to increase the wim size by 1gig. Either I need to figure out how to use the same wim.install file for all indexes, or I need to compact the wim file which is now 4gbs with ie10 and all updates to April. Any way to do either?

johnspack, Jul 14, 2018
  3. johnspack Win User
    Compacting a wim file?

Actually it turns out the answer is the dism that comes with Win8. Using the new Export-Image command, and a simple batch file, was able to compress my AIO wim by several hundred mbs.

johnspack, Jul 14, 2018
  4. Nick Dich Win User

wim file

Hi,

The WIM file format is almost the same as ISO files which is an image of a disc. These file types are usually opened by 3rd-party software which will enable your computer to mount the disk image for installation. Your question on how to install it is best
    suited to be asked on Microsoft TechNet website. Nevertheless, we found a solution thread for you. To further assist you with your concern, we recommend you to visit the link provided:

Installation from WIM file

Feel free to post on our TechNet website should you need further assistance on this matter.

Nick Dich, Jul 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Winre.wim file has gotten too big - Similar Threads - Winre wim file

2. Notepad is too big

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad is too big: Hi, I just created a script with AutoHot Key and don't like the Notepad window display on the screen. It used to me a manageable window but now takes up the entire desktop and I can't reduce the size of it. Is there anything I can do to make the window smaller? Thanks...
  3. System files too big

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System files too big: Hello, I have a bootcamp partition on my Mac for Windows 10. I allocated approx. 1000 GB for Windows. As of today, the System Files folder is 847 GB, and I can't understand why I have tried searching for the largest files on my system, and for some reason, I can't make...
  4. Old second monitor has icons too big

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Old second monitor has icons too big: basically what the title says. I have a really old monitor that I want to use as a second monitor. But when I plug it in, the icons and the whole screen is just really big. Its not zoomed in and I've been trying to play around with the resolutions on the windows settings and...
  5. system file is way too big

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    system file is way too big: i built a new PC 2 days ago and my system file has somehow grown to 92 GB. it is taking up way too much space as my old PC it was only about 20. how can i reduce it? submitted by /u/jaboolean [link] [comments]...
  6. Display is TOO big

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display is TOO big: Am I the only person with this problem?? I've hunted everywhere! I recently got a new computer with Windows 10. I also got a new monitor. The monitor I got is a 32" very wide screen. I don't know if my issue is due to the screen or W10. I've adjusted my size to as low...
  7. Creating ISO file out of an ESD image -> too big to fit inside DVD, if converted to WIM;...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating ISO file out of an ESD image -> too big to fit inside DVD, if converted to WIM;...: Hello, I have downloaded the following file directly from Microsoft: 17763.379.190312-0539.rs5_release_svc_refresh_CLIENTBUSINESS_VOL_x64FRE_de-de.esd (3.3 GB in size) It contains almost all Windows 10 editions in ESD image format, Build 17763.379 stable. Then I...
  8. Mapped File too big

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mapped File too big: I was trying to figure out why forza horizon 4 was crashing so much and I read that it didn't drop standby memory like other games did and that was causing it. So I went on RAMmap and the "mapped file" is taking up more than 2 gigs of standby RAM, and the total standby RAM is...
  9. File too big for recycle bin

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File too big for recycle bin: [img] Apparently all files are too big for the recycle bin. How can I reset this? 112946
  10. fonts are too big

in Windows 10 Support
    fonts are too big: My wife hit something and now my fonts are too big. I'd like to get the letters back to the smaller version as they are waaaay too big. Can anyone help? 105368

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows winre.wim too big

2. but winre is too big for ramdisk

3. winre file is too big

4. winre.wim,
  5. windows 10 recovery wim too big