Windows 10: WINSXS folder will not clear down using DISM or SFC / Disk cleanup

Discus and support WINSXS folder will not clear down using DISM or SFC / Disk cleanup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have 3000 Windows 10 LTSC 1609 devices to manage and a large majority have the same issue. They all have 32GB SSD's and the majority of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PaulGlenister, May 4, 2020.

1. WINSXS folder will not clear down using DISM or SFC / Disk cleanup

Hi,

I have 3000 Windows 10 LTSC 1609 devices to manage and a large majority have the same issue.

They all have 32GB SSD's and the majority of the space is taken up in the WINSXS folder and in turn the Temp\PendingRenames

I have read and tried many articles using DISM commands, SFC Scan and a diskcleaup but nothing works and this folder keeps growing.

I recently put them all into a WSUS managed solution but they still will not clear down this folder.

Is there any other solutions I can use to remove these files?

Thanks for your support

:)

PaulGlenister, May 4, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Reduce the size of the WinSxS folder

Hi Adrian,

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Then for more options for reducing the size of that WinSxS folder, please see this Microsoft Article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardwa...

DaveM121, May 4, 2020
  3. Rigorous cleanup of WinSxS folder?!

For reasons beyond my (sane) comprehension, MS allows the C:\Windows\WinSxS folder to grown indefinitely (and only offers a rather deceptive, faux clean-up option, which only clears out like 29MB or so). Very annoying on a small SSD.

However, I heard you can use the following to do a more profound cleanup:

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

You can't uninstall previous items any more this way (I don't care about, really). But is it safe to do so?!

First I thought about creating a Junction to WinSxS (to another drive), but, upon closer inspection, it would appear many hard links exist to the WinSxS folder, so that might not be a good idea.

Thanks.

meimeiriver2, May 4, 2020
  4. WINSXS folder will not clear down using DISM or SFC / Disk cleanup

Cannot run sfc /scannow to completion despite being in safe mode and the PendingDeletes and PendingRenames folders exist under %WinDir%\WinSxS\Temp

Following this guide https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system I start Command Prompt as administrator.

WINSXS folder will not clear down using DISM or SFC / Disk cleanup OZmdt.png

I run this successfully

However on running

It fails at 68% complaining about

The original guide suggests trying in safe mode, which I have to no avail. 
    I note that the PendingDeletes and PendingRenames folders exist
    under %WinDir%\WinSxS\Temp do exist as the guide further suggests. 
    The folders have many files in them.

I am on Windows 10.

I have also tried the steps in: How to Fix: 'sfc /scannow' Fails, Won't Complete my sfcdetails.txt file does not have any errors in it and after doing most of the steps I am have been recommended to try using a windows repair dvd, getting the files from a known good source or running a repair install (if I manage to try this and it also doesn't work I'll update this post)

user1821961, May 4, 2020
Thema:

WINSXS folder will not clear down using DISM or SFC / Disk cleanup

1. WINSXS folder will not clear down using DISM or SFC / Disk cleanup - Similar Threads - WINSXS folder clear

2. DISM CleanUp stops at 20%; RestoreHealth increases winSxS/temp folder size. Cleanmgr...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM CleanUp stops at 20%; RestoreHealth increases winSxS/temp folder size. Cleanmgr...: I recently ran this command:Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase according to Windows Documentation about WinSxS, this should have deleted superseded update files to reduce its disk size. However, /AnalyzeComponentStore returns this no matter what...
  3. DISM CleanUp stops at 20%; RestoreHealth increases winSxS/temp folder size. Cleanmgr...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM CleanUp stops at 20%; RestoreHealth increases winSxS/temp folder size. Cleanmgr...: I recently ran this command:Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase according to Windows Documentation about WinSxS, this should have deleted superseded update files to reduce its disk size. However, /AnalyzeComponentStore returns this no matter what...
  4. Cleanup WinSxS Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cleanup WinSxS Files: After windows update becomes up to date and if start component cleanup is not recommended, can I start component cleanup everyday? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cleanup-winsxs-files/308f1599-dfeb-48ae-91fa-f74d19bac7c7
  5. Cleanup WinSxS Files

Cleanup WinSxS Files: After windows update becomes up to date and if start component cleanup is not recommended, can I start component cleanup everyday? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cleanup-winsxs-files/308f1599-dfeb-48ae-91fa-f74d19bac7c7
  6. How to use Cleanup Recommendations on Windows 11 to Clear Disk Space

in Windows 10 News
    How to use Cleanup Recommendations on Windows 11 to Clear Disk Space: [ATTACH]Some of us are enjoying the latest Windows 11. The new OS ships with a new feature called Cleanup recommendations. This gives us recommendations that we can use to Clear disk space. In this guide, we show you how we can access and use it to free up disk space. We all...
  7. DISM WinSxS cleanup problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM WinSxS cleanup problem: Hi there, i tried using the startcomponentcleanup command but it stopped at 99% and wouldnt move for a while, then i closed the command promt window and tried it again but that time it didnt even display a progress bar. I tried closing my pc to see if it needed a restart...
  8. Disk Cleanup not clearing Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Cleanup not clearing Windows Update Cleanup: I have been trying to clear my windows update cleanup for a bit now. I followed this answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup-dont-cleans-windows-update-cleanup/1ef71d60-64d5-4de0-ac98-fcb6834bcffa on this post. But it did not work for me. I...
  9. Microsoft will remove option to clear Downloads folder using Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft will remove option to clear Downloads folder using Disk Cleanup: Microsoft revealed recently that it will remove the Downloads option from the company's Disk Cleanup tool. Microsoft introduced the new option in Windows 10 version 1809. The company made the decision to make the option opt-in which means that users had to select it actively...
  10. Dism not cleaning up WinSxS

Dism not cleaning up WinSxS: Hello My WinSxS folder is currently ~6GB big, so I tried using "Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup" (and variants) to clean it up. The "problem" is that Dism doesn't actually clean up WinSxS, but says it did: when I start the command (in admin mode on...