Windows 10: WinUpdate breaks Shift-Ctrl-5 and Shift-Ctrl-6. Next update plan - cut 3 and 4. Too much...

Discus and support WinUpdate breaks Shift-Ctrl-5 and Shift-Ctrl-6. Next update plan - cut 3 and 4. Too much... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, Thanks to always great Windows 10 Update experience we've lost Shift-Ctrl-5 and Shift-Ctrl-6 (Desktop icons list and Detailed view).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tomo-640XL, Feb 17, 2019.

1. WinUpdate breaks Shift-Ctrl-5 and Shift-Ctrl-6. Next update plan - cut 3 and 4. Too much...

Hi all,

Thanks to always great Windows 10 Update experience we've lost Shift-Ctrl-5 and Shift-Ctrl-6 (Desktop icons list and Detailed view).

Logically - ever less knowledgeable MS programmers are not aware of that function, so they completely missed another of few actually useful things from new OS (because Windows Update that has 4GB in file is not update, it's installation of new OS; mainly due to ever less knowledgeable MS programmers who are not aware of many existing functions).

This way difference between Windows 2000 and Windows 10 is even closer to difference in RAM occupied only - W2000: 25MB, W10: 25GB.

Question

Can programmers stop scratching extremities with their left hand and start using it for programming instead?

Dragging code blocks around and copy/pasting from Stackoverflow is not programming, no matter how much you are paid.

Thank you

Tomo

:)

Tomo-640XL, Feb 17, 2019
  2. TryphonX Win User

Ctrl+Shift+S

I am not talking about Microsoft or Office apps, I have problem with every app that uses Ctrl + Shift + S (example: Notepad ++ in which I had changed the "Save As..." to Ctrl + Shift + S).

TryphonX, Feb 17, 2019
  3. CezarGutu Win User
    ctrl and shift not working

sorry that im writing without capslock but they stopped working. for some days my ctrl and shift dont work in the way they used to work and they need to work. for example ctrl c ctrl v ctrl a commands don't work. in my browser when i try to press shift
    and plus or shift and the line next to it it zooms in and out, sorry i cant show them because i can't use them like i said, also trying to shift plus letters works just on some like A, G. but for the rest of the letter it just does commands it doesnt make
    caps letters but random commands . pls i resally some help . thanks

CezarGutu, Feb 17, 2019
  4. WinUpdate breaks Shift-Ctrl-5 and Shift-Ctrl-6. Next update plan - cut 3 and 4. Too much...

Ctrl+Shift+Z shortcut unassignable

Here are the quick answers to your questions, and following, a more develop explanations.

1. Ctrl+Shift+Z is an already existing basic, known shortcut in all Adobe softwares for the "Redo" action. I am trying to use it and it’s not doing anything. Ctrl+Alt+V is a shortcut I am trying to assign to an action in the ebook conversion software Sigil.

2. Ctrl+Shift+Z for the already existing shortcut of the "Redo" action in Adobe softwares. Ctrl+Alt+V to a specific function in Sigil.

3. Ctrl+Shift+Z in all the Adobe Creative Suite, Ctrl+Alt+V in Sigil.

Actually the issue happened when I started my work on InDesign yesterday. As you must know, Ctrl+Shift+Z is a very common, basic shortcut for the "Redo" action. After that, I opened up Sigil and tried to assign Ctrl+Alt+V to a certain action, which is the
    setting I put previously in my old laptop using Windows 8.

Then, when I noticed both didn’t work, I opened a software that makes me able to remap my keyboard and assign new keystrokes, key combinations, or even macro, to a single key (SteelSeries software going with my MSI gaming laptop), and tried different key
    combinations. I saw that Ctrl+Shift+A was fully detected for exemple, but if I press Ctrl+Shift+Z or Ctrl+Alt+V, the software only detects Ctrl+Shift or Ctrl+Alt, and not the letter going to it.

Here is a screenshot of some tests I did in the SteelSeries software, testing key combinations. I tried Ctrl+Shift combined with respectively those letters, in this order: w / x / y / z

As you can see, the combinations with the W and with the Y are detected, but with the X and the Z, they aren’t. And if I tried to assigned as shortcut the combinations with the X and the Z in any software, they are also not detected.

WinUpdate breaks Shift-Ctrl-5 and Shift-Ctrl-6. Next update plan - cut 3 and 4. Too much... 07108b44-c72c-41d9-b68b-4df4631b0164.png

Also, Ctrl+Alt+V is not detected anywhere as mentioned, but Shift+Ctrl+V is detected. Ctrl+Alt+Z and +X are also not detected. But any letter with only Ctrl, only Shift or only Alt are detected.

So the issue is happening in multiple softwares and seems to come from some letters not being detected when used in combination with Ctrl+Shift or Ctrl+Alt. Very weird.... I hope my explanations are clear.

AnnabelleViau, Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

WinUpdate breaks Shift-Ctrl-5 and Shift-Ctrl-6. Next update plan - cut 3 and 4. Too much...

1. WinUpdate breaks Shift-Ctrl-5 and Shift-Ctrl-6. Next update plan - cut 3 and 4. Too much... - Similar Threads - WinUpdate breaks Shift

2. Ctrl+Shift Keybinds Broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ctrl+Shift Keybinds Broken: I'm having issues with my Ctrl+Shift keybinds. They don't seem to fully work. A few still do, but some don't. The ones I can confirm don't work are Ctrl+Shift+S and Ctrl+Shift+I, with Ctrl+Shift+I being broken on everything except my browser. I got this fixed once, but it...
  3. `ctrl+shift+w` in browser

`ctrl+shift+w` in browser: Many times, I accidentally press `ctrl+shift+w` in browser and all my open tabs and work goes away in the browser. Is there any undo option for this ? if not then how can I disable this shortcut ?...
  4. Ctrl+Shift Keystrokes Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ctrl+Shift Keystrokes Not Working: I am having issues with the Ctrl+Shift keystrokes on my Windows 10 system. I've tried changing my typing settings, I've tried updating my sysytem, I've tried looking for drivers, I've tried looking at my hotkey settings, and nothing seems to work. This just suddenly happened...
  5. ctrl and shift key are not responding

ctrl and shift key are not responding: No matter I press it, it will not respond on my desktop. I tried to use it on different device, and it works fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ctrl-and-shift-key-are-not-responding/bec2272c-8a84-45d9-8e9a-bbe579a7303c
  6. ctrl + shift + enter not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ctrl + shift + enter not working: I updated Win10 Pro today, and now ctrl+shift+enter does not open the application as admin.For example: I press the start key, type cmd then press ctrl+shift+enter and nothing happens. This affects all apps I try to launch using this method. It doesn't even launch the app...
  7. ctrl + shift + enter not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ctrl + shift + enter not working: I updated Win10 Pro today, and now ctrl+shift+enter does not open the application as admin.For example: I press the start key, type cmd then press ctrl+shift+enter and nothing happens. This affects all apps I try to launch using this method. It doesn't even launch the app...
  8. Removing CTRL+SHIFT+<number> short cuts!?

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing CTRL+SHIFT+<number> short cuts!?: Heh, found this thread through Google: Removing windows Control-shift shortcut However, that's not really my concern. It's like this, for a long time I've been using CTRL+SHIFT+1/2/3 to shift between different audio output devices. It's been amazing. Today, though, I...
  9. CTRL + SHIFT + (2-5) Not Working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CTRL + SHIFT + (2-5) Not Working: I've been using CTRL + SHIFT + (2-5) in Windows 10 to quickly change the Folder Icon size. But it doesn't seem to work at all after changing few settings. I've tried resetting Folder Options and what not, nothing seems to work. Please help me on this one, maybe there is a way...
  10. Ctrl+Shift+Entre

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ctrl+Shift+Entre: Hi, I recently bought a refurb desktop PC which runs Win 10. I also have a wireless keyboard and mouse. It all has seemed fine. I so far have not loaded MSOffice because I can use my work desktop through VM ware. All has seemed fine However I do a lot of excel work and...