Windows 10: WinUSB.sys Polling Rate Error on AMD Ryzen systems

Discus and support WinUSB.sys Polling Rate Error on AMD Ryzen systems in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When using standard WinUSB drivers on Windows 10 Ryzen systems, only USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 Gen 1 ports are polled every 8 ms. USB Gen 2 ports and USB 2.0... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JackRoberts8, Jul 9, 2020.

1. WinUSB.sys Polling Rate Error on AMD Ryzen systems

When using standard WinUSB drivers on Windows 10 Ryzen systems, only USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 Gen 1 ports are polled every 8 ms. USB Gen 2 ports and USB 2.0 ports are polled at 16 ms, which causes unnecessary issues in certain use cases where a timeout occurs waiting on the new input. This also affects internal USB headers.

This was found using a gamecube controller adapter by Nintendo with standard WinUSB drivers installed via Zadig. However, I have reproduced the polling rate issue with other hardware.

This occurs across all Ryzen platforms including laptops.

A bit more info: https://github.com/

It can be worked around by using a 3.0/3.1 Gen1/3.2 Gen1 port directly on the motherboard, but not everyone has these available if more hardware needs to be polled at 8ms. Also, laptop users might not have any ports that work properly.

The workaround: https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/hf41fw/solving_dropped_inputschoppy_movement_on_amd/

I'm fairly certain this a WinUSB driver-related issue, as open-source drivers experience different behavior.

Can the winusb.sys drivers be changed so that the polling rate is consistent and minimized across ALL USB ports on Ryzen platforms?

:)

JackRoberts8, Jul 9, 2020
  2. trevtech Win User

AMD Ryzen 2200G systems hang, usually no BSOD

Problem: Systems hard lock after anywhere from a few minutes of uptime to a couple of days. Image is frozen on screen and no mouse cursor is visible, pressing Ctrl+Shift+Win+B to reset graphics driver does nothing. Only one of the PCs has ever bluescreened
    and it only did so one time, with error code 0x1000009f DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE for ntoskrnl.exe. I tried updating, downgrading, and reinstalling GPU, NIC, and sound drivers but no luck. Every other time the PCs don't bluescreen when they lock up and there
    is nothing in the Event Viewer that is helpful.

Troubleshooting steps tried:

1. Updated AMD drivers from 18.5.1 to 18.7.1 and 18.8.1.
    2. Clean installed both 18.8.1 and 18.5.1.
    3. Installed Realtek LAN and audio drivers from ASRock.
    4. Clean installed 17.7 AIO driver package from ASRock (listed as 17.40).
    5. Updated BIOS from 4.70 to 4.90.
    6. Reset BIOS.
    7. Uninstalled August 2018 Windows 10 patches.
    8. Switched to Balanced power plan instead of Ryzen Balanced.
    9. Disabled USB suspending and PCIe ASPM
    10. Switched to High performance, disabled ASPM & USB SS
    11. Increased SOC voltage to 1.1 and RAM voltage to 1.3.
    12. Removed AMD drivers, used Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
    13. Uninstalled Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1
    14. Started in Safe Mode w/ Networking
    15. Repair install 1803.
    16. Used only one RAM stick at 2133MHz.
    Next steps:

1. Clean install 1803
    2. Install 1709, delay 1803 update
    3. RMA ASRock motherboards
    4. Replaced ASRock motherboards
    5. Replace AMD with Intel

Identical systems specs:

• AMD Ryzen 2200G CPU
    • ASRock AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX Motherboard
    • G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GB (4GBx2) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
    • Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD
    • EVGA 450W Bronze PSU
    • Fractal Design Core 1000 Micro ATX Case
    • Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803

Other system specs:

• AMD Ryzen 2200G CPU
    • Asus TUF B350M Plus Gaming Micro ATX Motherboard
    • Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (4GBx2) 3000MHz DDR4 RAM
    • Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD
    • Corsair TX650M Gold PSU
    • Fractal Design Node 804 Micro ATX Case
    • Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803

Details:

I built four identical systems and one with different motherboard and RAM, all of them are having this problem to varying degrees of severity. The worst one locked up within 15 minutes, but the best one used to work for over a week without issues. I tried
    doing a repair install on one of the systems, during the preparation period for the upgrade the system locked up at 16%. I was able to get it to complete to the point of restarting to do the majority of the install, but that locked up multiple times as well.

I've looked through the event log, and there is nothing between the systems that points to the source of the problem. There is no one thing that causes the systems to lockup, and there is no rime or reason to when they lockup. One of them did seem to lockup
    every hour, but otherwise it happens at random.

I'm at my wits end; in over 15 years of troubleshooting and building PCs I have never had issues of this scope or inconsistency. I repair computers for a living, and I have never seen issues like this. I have a server based on AMD's Epyc 7351P and my main
    desktop is based on the Ryzen 7 1700, and I haven't had issues anywhere close to this on those systems. At this point I'm seriously considering replacing the CPUs and motherboards with Intel equivalents. I've I'm willing to try any suggestions any one has,
    no matter how much of a long shot they are or how stupid they seem.

Here's a link to the dump file, driver list, and system info: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

trevtech, Jul 9, 2020
  3. windows 8.1 polling rate issue came back on windows 10

Hi Zema,

We appreciate you being part of Windows 10.

I understand that you have polling rate issues on Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need to know which game you have installed before the problem came back on Windows 10.

Kindly follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Make sure the system is up to date. Follow the below steps.

• Open Start menu and type Windows update.

• Click on Windows update and check whether there are any updates.

• Install if there are any updates in Windows updates.
    If the issue still persists, then follow the below method.

Method 2:

I suggest you to install the program in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

1. Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.

2. Select Compatibility tab.

3. Check Run this program in Compatibility mode and Run the program with Windows 8.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jul 9, 2020
  4. WinUSB.sys Polling Rate Error on AMD Ryzen systems

AMD RYZEN PRO DRIVER

AMD RYZEN PRO DRIVER and software for windows 10 pro

MichaelAbbas1, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

WinUSB.sys Polling Rate Error on AMD Ryzen systems

1. WinUSB.sys Polling Rate Error on AMD Ryzen systems - Similar Threads - WinUSB sys Polling

2. AMD Ryzen or AMD Ryzen Threadripper configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    AMD Ryzen or AMD Ryzen Threadripper configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode.: Trying to install 20h2 version of windows on 1803 version and getting this error.AMD Ryzen or AMD Ryzen Threadripper configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode.A Driver is installed that causes stability problems on Windows. This driver will be disabled. Check with your...
  3. Up grading CPU from AMD Ryzen 2700 to AMD Ryzen 3950X

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Up grading CPU from AMD Ryzen 2700 to AMD Ryzen 3950X: Hello, I'm going to change the CPU as stated above and am wondering how much trouble I'm getting my self into - I have Windows 10 64bit and it's activated to my Microsoft account with a digital license....
  4. AMD Ryzen or AMD Ryzen Threadripper configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode.

AMD Ryzen or AMD Ryzen Threadripper configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode.: Hello, For several weeks I have had a problem with Windows Update. The installation can't be done because of the error, quoted in the title. I don't know how to solve it. I have tried many things, but I don't know how to do it. I have enough storage for the update. And...
  5. Cache Hierarchy Error AMD Ryzen 3700

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cache Hierarchy Error AMD Ryzen 3700: Hi all, I've been having random reboots with my fairly new system that I built in September 2021. When I look in Event Viewer, I get WHEA-Logger 18 events. Reported by component: Processor Core. Error Source: Machine Hierarchy Error Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error....
  6. Error 2753 for AMD Ryzen Master

Error 2753 for AMD Ryzen Master: Hello there, I am having issues when trying to re-install the AMD Ryzen Master application. I receive the error code 2753, the file 'setup.exe' is not maked for installation. The things I have tried are below. - Clearing the TEMP folder found at %TEMP%. - Using CCleaner to...
  7. AMD Ryzen or AMD Ryzen Threadripper configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode.

AMD Ryzen or AMD Ryzen Threadripper configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode.: I'm attempting to install the Version 1909 update on Windows 10 Home but have been unable to do to an apparent incompatibility with AMD Ryzen CPU drivers. The issue with this is that my computer has an Intel CPU and an Nvidia GPU, with no AMD software or hardware installed...
  8. Can't increase mouse polling rate

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't increase mouse polling rate: Apparently this is an issue with the Windows 10 past certain builds. I've been trying to increase my mouse polling rate which is supposed to be 1000hz but on Win 10 is only workint at 125hz. I tried to do it with the HIDUSBF method and whenever I increase it to any number...
  9. AMD Ryzen 2200G systems hang, usually no BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    AMD Ryzen 2200G systems hang, usually no BSOD: Problem: Systems hard lock after anywhere from a few minutes of uptime to a couple of days. Image is frozen on screen and no mouse cursor is visible, pressing Ctrl+Shift+Win+B to reset graphics driver does nothing. Only one of the PCs has ever bluescreened and it only did so...
  10. Is there a way to change the mouse polling rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there a way to change the mouse polling rate: Win 10 seems to have the same issue that Win 8.1 had with the mouse polling rate where the desktop polling rate is locked at 200Hz. I have not validated the actual Hz but the mouse feels the same as 8.1. This is not a gaming issue, I am pretty sure most games will work at the...