Windows 10: WinXP printer share to Win10. One box yes. One box no.

Discus and support WinXP printer share to Win10. One box yes. One box no. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have acquired two Win10 laptops. Both are Win10 Pro. I wanted to use an older printer, network shared by a WinXP box. First Win10 laptop: I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BrianBrian3, Apr 27, 2019.

1. WinXP printer share to Win10. One box yes. One box no.

I have acquired two Win10 laptops. Both are Win10 Pro. I wanted to use an older printer, network shared by a WinXP box.

First Win10 laptop: I browsed to the WinXP using the Network broswer, and clicked on the shared printer. Everything set up fine and I was able to print a test page from the Win10 laptop.

Second Win10 laptop: I browsed to the WinXP box using the Network browser, and clicked on the shared printer. Windows wanted to download drivers and could find nothing and refused to set up the printer.

Why are they different? What things can I check/confirm/change to make #2 behave like #1? I want the second Win10 laptop to be able to use the WinXP printer and I know Win10 is capable because the first laptop works fine.

Things I checked:

Using the test printout from Win10 #1, I copied the driver files listed over to the Win10 #2 computer. No change.

I confirmed SMBv1 was installed and operating on both Win10 laptops.

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Click on Programs.
    3. Click on Turn Windows features on or off link.
    4. Expand the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option.
    5. Check the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client option.
    6. Click the OK button.
    7. Click the Restart now button.

Any ideas appreciated!

:)

BrianBrian3, Apr 27, 2019

2. Cheap Photo box that will get the job done

WEll i took on this project for PP hes a hardware reviewer and wants to get the professional looking pics for the Pc parts

Materials:
    • Big cardboard box
    • a razor
    • white material 3 yards
    • cone lights
    • stapler
    • medical tape
    • pvc pipe about 6 inches longer than your box
    • white paint any cheap finger paint would work
    the project I'm guessing will cost me $30 if it works out properly
    I will post pictures and step by step as i do it

MomentoMoir, Apr 27, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Printer Sharing

Hi Bransby,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps

Computer you are sharing from

1. Type "Device and Printers" in the web and windows box

2. Find your printer

3. Right click on the printer

4. Select “Printer properties"

5. Click on the sharing tab

6. Check "sharing this printer"

7. Give the printer a Name

8. Click apply

Computer you are trying to share to:

1. Type "Device and Printers" in the web and windows box

2. Check for printer the devices and printers.

3. if it is not there click "add printer"

4. If the printer does not show up click “The printer that i wanted wasn't list"

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Apr 27, 2019
  4. WinXP printer share to Win10. One box yes. One box no.

Cheap Photo box that will get the job done

keep us posted. i'll be interested in this as i've been wanting to do one for a while.

Chicken Patty, Apr 27, 2019
Thema:

WinXP printer share to Win10. One box yes. One box no.

1. WinXP printer share to Win10. One box yes. One box no. - Similar Threads - WinXP printer share

2. One drive on NAS box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One drive on NAS box: I have a number of questions that I can't find answers too and would appreciate some help:-1. Can I have two OneDrive sessions open at the same time eg home and work?2. Can I link/install OneDrive to a folder on a NAS?3. Can OneDrive be shared with multiple people? 4. If I...
  3. Red box in win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Red box in win10: Hi, I have got this red square that sort of highlights cells in excel and other stuff in win10, it kind of follows the mouse pointer. Any ideas of how to turn that function off? Many thanks BR 165925
  4. X-Box One controller wireless is buggy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    X-Box One controller wireless is buggy: Hi there, I've had 2 X-Box One controllers for a while now, and they worked OK before (some issues, but usually worked). Now, ever since a few months ago, I simply can't use the wireless. They won't sync unless I go into "Bluetooth and other devices", delete the...
  5. X Box One app and console companion

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    X Box One app and console companion: I had 2 X boxes in my house and the older one died. I saw the X box console companion and X box App on my computer and went to use them. In both cases I loaded up the console and logged into my X box Account. When I click on games owned it comes up with nothing but if I...
  6. 500GB X BOX ONE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    500GB X BOX ONE: My space on the x-box is 500GB I have only used 300GB but I have no more space to download what could the problem be. I have deleted all the files I am not using Please help....
  7. Install Win10 on an old WinXP / Linux Box

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Install Win10 on an old WinXP / Linux Box: I have an old PC that was licensed for WinXP. About a year ago I threw Linux on it, but my needs have changed. Can someone please tell me, if I installed Win10 on it, can I use the XP license code? If not, can I install XP with the code, then perform the free update to...
  8. accessing Network share on other Win10 pro box.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    accessing Network share on other Win10 pro box.: for the life of me Windows 10 with LAN network file explorer is Attrocius... I have 2 Win10 pro right next to each on a gigabit switch, basically my son and mine and i can not access any shares on his C drive cant even access it via default share C$, my son is logged in with...
  9. printer dialogue box

in Windows 10 Customization
    printer dialogue box: When I click on my printer icon (HP6790) I get a dialogue box asking me "do want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" if I say no it keeps on reappearing and I cannot get rid of it. My printer is fine so is my wireless connection and I don't need the update, how...
  10. Windows Defender refuses to scan inside exe file on one win10 box?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender refuses to scan inside exe file on one win10 box?: I've got two Win10-64 boxes running 'Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 and the latest KB4056892 2018-01 cumulative update for windows 10 version 1709 x64-based systems. With one box, I can right click on the latest firefox 64 bit exe installer and can 'scan with...