Windows 10: Wiped all partitions want to restore W 10

Discus and support Wiped all partitions want to restore W 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I first got this PC I like many others Windows 10 started updating. Long story short things got more fouled up the more I tried to fix them. HP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fcremc, Jun 10, 2017.

1. fcremc Win User

Wiped all partitions want to restore W 10

When I first got this PC I like many others Windows 10 started updating. Long story short things got more fouled up the more I tried to fix them. HP was nice enough to send me a recovery USB which my PC would boot to but not open or load from. Prior to all of this I had made a Windows 10 Rescue Media & a Windows 10 .ISO disk. When I try using the disk I get a prompt wanting drivers. I guess these are drivers needed to install Windows 10 that aren't on either of the two disks I have. Please direct me to where I can get these drivers so I can put my PC back to it's original state.

Thank you,

Fred

PS: There is nothing left on my PC of Windows. To write this I installed and used Ubuntu which wiped all Windows partitions.

:)

fcremc, Jun 10, 2017

2. Create partition for clean install of Windows 10

I'm playing around with W-10 before I actually install it. I have a copy of W-8 which I will allow to be updated to W-10 and then I will wipe the drive and clean-reinstall W-10 from an genuine downloaded Microsoft disc. I'm doing all this on a PC with the
    Ethernet cable detached to avoid activation issues.

My question is in regards to partitions. With all previous versions of Windows, I created a partition (or more, if I wanted) on the drive and pointed Windows to that partition. This avoided creating the extra 500 MB or so partition.

But things appear to be different with W-10. I first created a GPT partition, but the installer complained that it could not install there. Curiously a second partition was created by the installer, maybe 500 MB. Then I quick-wiped the drive and formatted
    it for MBR, but again the installer refused to install. Then I removed all partitions and tried again. The installer accepted that.

So has the installation procedure changed for W-10? Is it necessary to use a drive with no partitions and allow the installer to create all partitions? If so, does the installer format the drive to be GPT?

If it matters, the above is happening on a Gigabyte board using the default setting of "both UEFI and legacy boot" in BIOS.

baroque-quest, Jun 10, 2017
  3. Wes_046 Win User
    How to cancel Windows 10 upgrade

Many thanks.

After a several false starts, I setup duplicate partitions on my laptop. Let W-10 upgrade just one and keep the W-7 I've been using. Got tired of messages coming in to W-7 when W-10 already upgraded the dupe.

BTW: on the upgrade W-10 would not allow me to keep anything. When upgrading the single W-7 setup, the option to keep files and applications was present. In the dual partition scenario: "Keep everything" was a button that didn't work. I didn't figure it
    would do the same with the partition it was not upgrading.

Wrong.

Wiped out Apps and Files on the W-7 original. Acronis was able to restore that single partion to working order. No problems with Dual booting. Both work.

I'm content to reinstall apps on the W-10 side.

-wbajr tbc

[ Lenovo Edge 531 | W7-Pro | 64b ]

Wes_046, Jun 10, 2017
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Fafhrd, Jun 10, 2017
  5. fcremc Win User
    This is what was posted. No software or drivers are available for this product with the selected operating system. Please make a different selection, or visit the product homepage.

fcremc, Jun 10, 2017
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    I see 35 drivers and utilities:

Wiped all partitions want to restore W 10 [​IMG]

Fafhrd, Jun 10, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
  8. fcremc Win User

Wiped all partitions want to restore W 10 [​IMG]
    I sent you a screenshot. Thank you so much for helping.

fcremc, Jun 10, 2017
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    Fafhrd, Jun 10, 2017
  10. fcremc Win User
    I'm downloading the x64 .iso now. Do you think that will provide the needed drivers? Except for Ubuntu my PC has no remnant of Windows.

Thank you so much.

fcremc, Jun 10, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Normally the drivers needed at Windows 10 installation, if any, are disk controller drivers, and those are normally only needed for RAID. You might want to go into the UEFI settings and make sure the SATA disk controller is set for AHCI mode rather than RAID mode. There will be a keyboard button to press/repeatedly press as soon as the computer starts to power on to get into UEFI setup. HP laptops usually use the ESC key. The DELete key is another popular one.

Once you get Windows 10 installed, the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller driver will likely be the Microsoft generic controller driver and you will see a bit of a performance improvement if you manually upgrade that driver to the manufacturer specific driver for Intel or AMD, depending on the chipset of your computer. But that's a different topic and way down the road from where you are now.

NavyLCDR, Jun 10, 2017
  12. fcremc Win User
    OK, so far I'm in W 10 setup. It was a long road but somehow I made with this forum's help. I'm sure there will be more question's until I'm done. If the install goes OK I'm sure I'll get prompted for a W 10 activation key which I do not have & there is no stamp on my machine. With my SSD being wiped I'm sure it is not there either.

Thank you

fcremc, Jun 11, 2017
  13. fcremc Win User

Thanks to everyone for the help. I have a duel booting pc and all is well.

fcremc, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Wiped all partitions want to restore W 10 - Similar Threads - Wiped partitions restore

2. Can a wiped partition be recovered with all its data ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a wiped partition be recovered with all its data ?: Hi community, So i have a big issue and i need your help. Yesterday i wanted to install win 11 on my laptop. I did the bootable usb and it was in mbr mode. When i tried to install windows it said that disc partition was in gpt. And i converted disc to mbr but in order to...
  3. Can a wiped partition be recovered with all its data ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a wiped partition be recovered with all its data ?: Hi community, So i have a big issue and i need your help. Yesterday i wanted to install win 11 on my laptop. I did the bootable usb and it was in mbr mode. When i tried to install windows it said that disc partition was in gpt. And i converted disc to mbr but in order to...
  4. Wiped partition recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wiped partition recovery: Hi community, So i have a big issue and i need your help. Yesterday i wanted to install win 11 on my laptop. I did the bootable usb and it was in mbr mode. When i tried to install windows it said that disc partition was in gpt. And i converted disc to mbr but in order to...
  5. Wiped partition recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wiped partition recovery: Hi community, So i have a big issue and i need your help. Yesterday i wanted to install win 11 on my laptop. I did the bootable usb and it was in mbr mode. When i tried to install windows it said that disc partition was in gpt. And i converted disc to mbr but in order to...
  6. how do i restore data on a wiped partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do i restore data on a wiped partition?: after doing a restore, my second partition on this drive has been wiped. how do i get the data back on the partition with free software? submitted by /u/anaggrivatedturtle [link] [comments]...
  7. Backup & Restore has wiped my HP Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup & Restore has wiped my HP Recovery partition: Hi all, I hope someone can help with this... after my HP Pavilion laptop failed to boot, I used my Win10 recovery CD to boot the machine, then used a system image on an external (USB) Hard Disk. This repaired the C drive, WINRE partition and I think the 'no name' 260Mb...
  8. Need to restore W-10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need to restore W-10: I was in FB, it was freezing up. I asked for help. It said to go to 3 marks in right corner, and to tools, and then to settings, and somehow it looked right, and I had to ask to cleanup things, and I said all old back to beginning, like it said cookies, and more. I thought...
  9. Restore W-10 from W-8 MFG restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore W-10 from W-8 MFG restore: Lenovo Yoga 13 that came with W-8 Had to do a restore to MFG, Windows 8. Can I download a W-10 iso and reinstall W-10??? Please Pretty please Desperate to get rid of 8. Also, have Insider Preview on other machine so I'm registered there. Figure if I can install the 10,...
  10. What are these * partitions on W 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    What are these * partitions on W 10?: Hi New here, was having trouble with formatting Sandisk Curzer Blade 32gb, eventually found free utility Macrorit Disk Partion Expert v3.9.5 and it did the trick. Windows on full (not quick) Format NTFS or Fat32 was an overnight job and didn't work when it was formatted....