Windows 10: Wiping External Hard Drive Questions

Discus and support Wiping External Hard Drive Questions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a laptop that i do everything on mostly. I have a usb drive that i back up information on and also a 1tb external hard drive as well. However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by paulyjustin, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Wiping External Hard Drive Questions

I have a laptop that i do everything on mostly. I have a usb drive that i back up information on and also a 1tb external hard drive as well. However, the thing is a while back i had an issue with an old laptop that did not work anymore and went to a repair shop and they were able to transfer data from my broken laptop ssd to it. The ssd still works etc. But the thing was they did not transfer everything into my external hard drive but did most of it.

The thing is i might have only connected my external hard drive to my new laptop that i bought a while back only a few times just to see if indeed the files are there. I do not recall if i connected it to my laptop or my desktop. I believe it might been desktop because i dont want any chance of virus hitting my laptop etc. But i might have connected external hard drive to may laptop.

Im going to buy another computer solely for streaming online and web browsing. Thus if i get virus with it, i don't mind since it won't my main laptop. I will most likely be buying a chromebook as oppose to windows computer. The chromebook will be most likely 16gb so i will be buying a usb stick or microsd card thats 64gb. First off, which is better? I dont mind having the usb stick out etc. Bud do chromebooks prefer microsd or usb stick? The thing is i would be downloading files/movies onto that 64gb stick. Thus any virus i have on it, i do not mind because i will be downloading movie etc. Now if ever get a virus on my usb or chromebook, i could easily format my chromebook and usb where it would be brand new without virus right? The other thing is this. If i connect my external hard drive the 1tb one to the chromebook, if the external hard drive already has virus, well i could connect it to a chromebook like that and then wipe it? The thing is right now i kind of want to wipe out my external hard drive because i think there might be a chance it has virus. But could i connect an external hard drive to a chromebook and do it that way or not? Or does it require windows? The other thing is i have another usb stick where i think it might have virus so thats why i would not connect it to my laptop. Could i connect it to a chromebook and wipe it so i could use it in future where i connect to my primary laptop without any worry? Thanks.

:)

paulyjustin, Mar 15, 2018
  2. cnkill Win User

Can I use a External Hardrive as the booting device, without risk of wiping my files.

(I hope I didn't miss read) are you speaking about the computer?

or the files I don't wanna lose, that are ON my External hard drive in question?

cnkill, Mar 15, 2018
  3. Please login with administrator privileges and try again (Windows 10)

Back up your file to thumbdrives or an external hard drive. I took my laptop to Best Buy and they wiped my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 10 and all is well.

CarolynShama, Mar 15, 2018
  4. Wiping External Hard Drive Questions

With any normal internet common sense, it's quite difficult to download or get a virus.
    Either would do, a microSD card would sit inside the PC rather than sticking out.
    That is correct.
    Formatting a device wipes all of the data on it.
    Why do you say that? Why are you so afraid of a virus?

Masterchiefxx17, Mar 16, 2018
  5. Because im planning to stream tv/movies through those sites that allow you to stream for free.

Also because im planning to download videos/movies from sites that might have virus etc.

paulyjustin, Mar 16, 2018
  6. It sounds like you plan on downloading illegal pirated content. Not only is that against the forum rules here, but it's illegal.

It's common sense. Do not download content from the internet where you expect to get a virus. You won't be having a good time and it could harm you. Viruses can spread to your other computers, steal financial information, your identity, etc.

My recommendation to you is to cease what you are doing with these websites.

Masterchiefxx17, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Wiping External Hard Drive Questions

1. Wiping External Hard Drive Questions - Similar Threads - Wiping External Hard

2. Question about external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and I'm using BitLocker on it. What will happen to it if I connect to the computer using windows under 10? Can I access this?...
  3. Question about external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and I'm using BitLocker on it. What will happen to it if I connect to the computer using windows under 10? Can I access this?...
  4. Hard drive wipe

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive wipe: Hi,I need to wipe a external hard drive to reuse in another system. I thought about using ccleaner but I know it is unsafe. Just so you know I don't want to format it.Thanks...
  5. Wiping hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wiping hard drives: I am selling a pc it has 3 drives installed, i factory reset the pc and chose to delete all files, will this delete the files from all 3 drives or just the drive with the OS on?...
  6. Hard drive wipe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive wipe: I am having issues deleting files from my windows app folder on my secondary drive it either says i dont have access, need permission from system or error 0x80070780. I have tried all things i could find via a google search. I have 2 of them due to previous issues each with...
  7. External Hard drive sharing question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External Hard drive sharing question: Hi there i was wondering you can help me. On my PC, i have setup an external hardrive so it is visible on a network and accesible via a smart hisense TV. Normally it works great but the past few days i have noticed that if i am watching something via the TV on my external...
  8. Wiping Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Wiping Hard Drive: Hello! I just downloaded a bootable windows onto an usb stick and I from there booted up the computer from the USB stick and formatted all the disks inside the laptop. Then exitted the program. Now when I boot up the computer it just says "No operating System Installed" My...
  9. External Hard Drive Questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    External Hard Drive Questions: I am looking at getting an External Hard Drive for Christmas to back up all of my photos to it since I take a lot of pictures. I don’t want to waste my PC’s storage on pictures. My Hard Drive on my HP PC is 1TB. What storage capacity should I go with for an External Hard...
  10. Question regarding external hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Question regarding external hard drive: hi there, I have an 500 gigs external HDD connected to my desktop. Is it ok to temporarily remove it to my laptop? I am worried about the label. Will it get different label on the laptop than on the desktop and is that something to worry about. In other words, will the...