Windows 10: Wiping the free space in recovery partition

Discus and support Wiping the free space in recovery partition in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm selling my laptop and deleting everything except the windows. Is there a way to securely wipe the free space in recovery and uefi partitions?i did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/cs-k, Apr 6, 2021.

1. /u/cs-k Win User

Wiping the free space in recovery partition

I'm selling my laptop and deleting everything except the windows. Is there a way to securely wipe the free space in recovery and uefi partitions?i did the other volumes with cipher w in cmd but don't know how to address these drives with that command.

submitted by /u/cs-k
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/cs-k, Apr 6, 2021

2. Recovery Partition in Windows 10.0

I find this
    low disk space on recovery partition
    , which I think might be of help.

Since the recovery partition will not work in Windows 10, you can delete the recovery partition with DiskPart. type“diskpart.exe” in a run box. run the followingcommands:

list disk

select disk [ID]

list partition

select partition [id]

delete partition

Youngwarlord, Apr 6, 2021
  3. Recovery partitions

Yes, recovery partition is basically present for that purpose.

Here's some other info about recovery partition:

As the name suggests, the partition is solely helpful under recovery scenarios. The data stored on it may contain recovery image tools such as winre.wim. The main benefit of having recovery partition is that the recovery data is on the hard-drive itself rather
    than on CD/DVD and thus it ensures fast recovery process.

Microsoft suggests to add a separate partition for Windows RE tools and at the end of hard-drive. This will facilitate Windows to automatically and logically expand the recovery partition as per requirement, in future instances.

There are some universal rules which govern recovery partition size:

It should be at-least of 300MB in size

When it is less than 500MB, it have 50MB free space

If it’s size is in between 500MB to 1GB, it should have 320MB free space

For recovery partition sized more than 1GB, it must have at-least 1GB free space

The type ID used by this partition is DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC.

Reference:
    https://www.kapilarya.com/understanding-differe...

Hope this answers your query!

Kapil Arya [Directly], Apr 6, 2021
  4. Anusha Win User

How To: Create recovery partition.

it worked when i copied all the files of the disk to the recovery partition i created, but i had to use WinPE tab to add the entry.

Type: WIM Image (Ramdisk)
    Name: Recovery
    Path: Z:\Sources\boot.wim
    and hit Add Entry
    I tried it in VirtualBox and it worked.
    At first, it would add a second "Windows 7" entry to the list, but when the installation is finished, the old one is deleted. (I formatted only C: partition)

Anusha, Apr 6, 2021
Thema:

1. Wiping the free space in recovery partition - Similar Threads - Wiping free space

2. How to restore the free space partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore the free space partition?: It used to be the D disk but now it becomes this free space oneI can't upload the picture https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-the-free-space-partition/97c9bd5c-ccda-47d3-8c48-255adf9cfccd
  3. Wiped partition recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wiped partition recovery: Hi community, So i have a big issue and i need your help. Yesterday i wanted to install win 11 on my laptop. I did the bootable usb and it was in mbr mode. When i tried to install windows it said that disc partition was in gpt. And i converted disc to mbr but in order to...
  4. Wiped partition recovery

Wiped partition recovery: Hi community, So i have a big issue and i need your help. Yesterday i wanted to install win 11 on my laptop. I did the bootable usb and it was in mbr mode. When i tried to install windows it said that disc partition was in gpt. And i converted disc to mbr but in order to...
  5. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management partition free space: Win 10 Pro, 21H2, fully up-to-date. Disk Management shows status of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6 and C: partition 3 on the 512GB SSD boot drive disk 1. It lists the capacity of the partitions, how much is Free Space, and % Free. For partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, it says their entire...
  6. Disk Management partition free space

Disk Management partition free space: Win 10 Pro, 21H2, fully up-to-date. Disk Management shows status of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6 and C: partition 3 on the 512GB SSD boot drive disk 1. It lists the capacity of the partitions, how much is Free Space, and % Free. For partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, it says their entire...
  7. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. free space on Recovery D.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    free space on Recovery D.: how do I free space on Recovery D..it's almost full and is running super slow. I went to clean but says there is 0 bytes on D yet its full. My laptop is running super slow....
  9. Free Space Wiping Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Free Space Wiping Windows 10: As an added security precaution in case a Laptop is lost or stolen (then falls into the hands or some dodgy character) understand some folk - in addition to regularly running Disk Cleanup - also wipe their C Drive's 'Free' Space. Gather that (at one time at least) this...
  10. Recovering the space of the recovery partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovering the space of the recovery partition: I've seen references that Windows 10 does not require a recovery partition. I have a Dell Latitude E7450 with a 256GB SSD that has a 450MB rec partition. I bought it used so I dk whether it was upgraded from 7/8--probably--and the partition stayed there or was upgraded to...