Windows 10: Wired and WIFI Networks

Discus and support Wired and WIFI Networks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Helloooo! I hope everyone is happy and healthy during these strange times! This is my first post, and I am a relative noob, so please be gentle :) I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Foxybear, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Foxybear Win User

Wired and WIFI Networks

Helloooo! I hope everyone is happy and healthy during these strange times!

This is my first post, and I am a relative noob, so please be gentle Wired and WIFI Networks :)

I fully expect I might need to get someone in, for this problem. I am not trying avoid paying anyone. But seeing as I cant get someone in, at the moment, and because I like to tinker with computers and expand my learning, I am giving things a go on my own.

I have 3 machines - 2 small towers (Dell Optiplex 3040) and 1 laptop (Dell i7 17779 I think). They are all on windows 10 pro latest update. The towers don't yet have any additional virus software added. The laptop has Mcafee.

All machines connect to the internet via WiFi. They are located in the loft, and the WiFi is on the ground floor. They work fine.

I want to create a wired data transfer network between the three of them, that is not connected to the internet. I have a Netgear unmanaged switch (GS205), and some RJ45 Cat5e (non crossover).

I have connected the machines via the switch. Because the WiFi runs on 192.168.1, I have fixed the Ethernet IP addresses to 192.168.100 and given each machine .1 .2 and .3. The subnet mask auto populated as 255.255.255.0 and there is no default gateway (which I understand is correct as there is no internet). I’ve tried the DNS blank and as 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8. But this doesnt seem to make a difference.

The Ethernet shows as an unidentified network and I cant change it to private as there is no option to do this. I only see “Set as a Metered Connection”, IP Settings (Automatic DHCP) and Properties.

I’ve done all the steps that YouTube mentions... making sure things are running in services, turning all discovery and file sharing on etc on each machine (private, public, and All Networks). Password protection is off. Ive also added them all to a named workgroup, both via Network ID and “Change”. (Wasnt sure what the different was)

I have pinged every which way, and got replies.

I am working with the WIFI switched off, so I know I am only seeing the wired situation.

I am in file explorer, in the network section.

I dont see one tower on the 2 others. It appears on the laptop briefly and then disappears.
    I dont see anything regards the workgroup - do I need to do something to make it appear?
    I cant access Shared folders - regardless of what machine I am on, and which computer I am trying to access. I get the “cannot connect, contact admin” message.
    When I click to access one machine, it requests its own log in details.

I basically just want one folder on the laptop to have permanent and unpassworded access to everyone on the wired network only - read and write. Ive created test folders and given read and write permissions for everyone

Please help, I am losing the will to live... What am I doing wrong? I think the machines are communicating, if they have pinged ok?

What could be creating the fact that I cant see one tower, on the other two, even though all the settings are all the same. (And its just running the same standard windows defender as the other tower - both are fresh installs)

What could be creating the fact that I cant I see the workgroup?

What could be creating the fact that I cant I see the shared folder?

Why might one of them be asking for credentials (if password protection is switched off)?

Thanks in advance *Smile

:)

Foxybear, Apr 26, 2020

2. Can not connect to wired network and wifi at the same time.

I have a Windows 7 box I'm working with.

There is a wired local network which provides access to a network hard drive and printer.

There is a wireless network that provides access to the internet.

The system had been working fine.

Problem now is that the wifi will find the router, but not connect to the internet.

Now when the wired network is plugged in the wifi will connect to the router, but not provide internet access.

If I unplug the wired network the wifi connects to the internet normally.

Windows Network Diagnostics is unable to provide any solution or possible cause.

One thing that comes to mind is a problem with the network card (which is build into the motherboard).

Another idea that comes to mind is that the computer is attempting to get internet access from the wired connection and when that fails it is not going to the wifi connection. Is there a way to tell Windows to only look for internet access via the wifi?

I followed the process here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2526067

Moving the wifi network connection to the top of the list. Wired to the bottom.

Is there any thing I should be looking at in the software or settings? Thanks.

Skippy Smith, Apr 26, 2020
  3. Wifi network disconnects when wired network is attached

Yes I have now checked advanced settings on the Wired network interface as well.

Nothing...

So if Only I could get this super advanced Windows 10 Network behavior disabled I would be happy.

So stuck for now - any other suggestions????

jensenflemming, Apr 26, 2020
  4. Wired and WIFI Networks

Unable to print to a network printer when connected to both wireless and wired networks

Hi Eileen,

• As far as i'm aware nothing has changed
    • i have only tried to send test pages to the network printer so im assuming so yes
    • wireless printer works fine when connected to both networks. However the wifi doesn't connect auto when an Ethernet connection is established this has to be manually connected.
    I have tried the following:

• updated the print driver
    • changed the network port it was plugged into
    • ran windows updates
    • configured with a static
    • changed the wifi and Ethernet priority
    I will run through the trouble shoot steps as suggest and come back to you.

FYI - he has a number of extenders dotted around, a collegue mentioned it could be a subnet issue?

thanks, Ben

BenDavies12333, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

Wired and WIFI Networks

1. Wired and WIFI Networks - Similar Threads - Wired WIFI Networks

2. Wired Network connection.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wired Network connection.: Back in the early 2000’s, I ran ethernet to multiple computers in my house. For a while I was able to use it to do a lot of file and printer sharing in the home network, but for the last few years it’s been a lot more iffy, and I’m currently looking at my new Windows 11...
  3. Wired Network connection.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wired Network connection.: Back in the early 2000’s, I ran ethernet to multiple computers in my house. For a while I was able to use it to do a lot of file and printer sharing in the home network, but for the last few years it’s been a lot more iffy, and I’m currently looking at my new Windows 11...
  4. Wired Network

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Wired Network: Centurylink4343 is connected to my IP Address When I log in so do they I see the link go up the side of my house To a house address that dose not exist ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/wired-network/555bb853-f7fb-4a7b-9565-1a1ae230beb2
  5. Can't print over WiFi, can print wired to network

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't print over WiFi, can print wired to network: We have 2 Sharp business networked printer/copiers. I suspect that Windows upgrade 1903 has caused all our Windows laptops to quit being able to print over WiFi. Several Mac OS laptops are able to print fine. Laptops that once could print over WiFi no longer can. After...
  6. no networking capability / WIFI / Wired after windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no networking capability / WIFI / Wired after windows 10 update: last week my laptop (which i dont power off very often) auto updated a windows update (KB4493464) and since all wifi connections have disappeared and i cannot connect to broadband via wired capability! tried uninstalling said up-date which briefly fixed the issue for 2 days...
  7. Network sharing not working over WiFi but works over wired.

Network sharing not working over WiFi but works over wired.: Hello, I have some laptops and computers in my office. Suddenly out of the blue today, network sharing has stopped working on WiFi devices but is working fine on wired devices. Why is this happening? I didn't change any setting. I tried restarting the router and laptops...
  8. Wired Network

Wired Network: Hi SOrry if this has been asked before but I want to delete my Network and start a fresh. Can't for the life of me find how to do this. Any help or tips? 38180
  9. Wifi network disconnects when wired network is attached

Wifi network disconnects when wired network is attached: Hi, I am currently struggling with the following problem: I have a Windows 10 Pro computer that has wired internet connection to the office network. And on top of that I need the computer to ALSO connect to my Sonoff Relay (ESP8266 Soft Access Point) over WiFi. So I...
  10. Finally can retire WIRED network Wifi USB-AC56 wifi 802.11ac

Finally can retire WIRED network Wifi USB-AC56 wifi 802.11ac: Hi there This USB Wifi adapter seems to be a MEGA performer --Lovely finally to be able to THINK of getting rid of LAN cables all over the place. I've no probs with decent HD Movie streaming from a SERVER with one of these (I unplugged the LAN and inserted the USB Wifi...