Windows 10: Wired In Connection on a modem router Combo

Discus and support Wired In Connection on a modem router Combo in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; i need immediate assistance trying to get my my ethernet cable to work on my computer it doesnt connect at all and i have XTREME mediacom high speed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by DexterJonnes, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Wired In Connection on a modem router Combo

i need immediate assistance trying to get my my ethernet cable to work on my computer it doesnt connect at all and i have XTREME mediacom high speed internet. i tried uninstalling and re installing the drivers and it isnt working. any forward knowledge on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated

-Corey J.

:)

DexterJonnes, Jan 31, 2021
  2. ziffel Win User

Speed drop if going through a router, fine if wired direct from modem

I have a Docsis 3.0 motorola modem (provided by Spectrum). If I connect the ethernet from the modem direct to my PC, i immediately get full bandwidth, 120 Mbps, on all speedtests (fast.com etc). However, if I first go to my router, then ethernet to the PC, the speed drops to around 55 or 60 Mb. An important note here is that this combo has worked fine for several years. Same modem, same ethernet cable, same router. (I say that because it illustrates the older router, cable, and modem are capable of full my full bandwidth) This issue just popped up yesterday (Apr 20)

The oddity here is that purchasing and trying a brand new router with all the latest tech renders the exact same results. 55 to 60 Mb speed. The tests are very very consistent. Always the same each time, no variation. Same goes for wiring direct from modem to PC. Always 120 Mb.

The upload speed is always 100% good. Both direct to PC and through both routers, 12 Mb up.

The 55-60 speed (wired) is consistent on 3 different PC's in the house. Two are Win10, one is an older Win7 laptop. And I got that speed on the other PC's with the new router as well.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• rebooting modem & router & PC (several times each)
    • different ethernet cable from modem to router and to PC (same results)
    • 2nd, brand new router (same results)
    • disconnected all wires from modem (coax, ethernet, power) and re-connected
    • read through this thread. My symptom is similar, (120 --> 60 drop, download only), however I don't think it's relevant, because I get full speed as I should if I go direct from modem to PC ethernet in. If it were a software issue, I would think that would persist direct wired or via a router. Either way, none of the fixes in that thread helped me.
    • updated older router's firmware to latest, though even that update was from 4 years ago.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

ziffel, Jan 31, 2021
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Use modem/router combo as router only

You more than likely can't. The input side of the modem/router combination is going to be exclusively the modem.

Also trying to get your modem/router working on the cable system, did the technician press the reset button on your modem/router? I had an issue with my daughter's cable internet where the modem just would not connect. Finally after about 15 minutes, I just pressed the reset button on the modem/router to clear all the old settings out from the old ISP and it just magically connected to the new ISP!

NavyLCDR, Jan 31, 2021
  4. Wired In Connection on a modem router Combo

Do I Need A New Router?

No combo. Line goes into modem, from that a router is connected. Did a direct connection to the modem and all was good. However when using wireless off of the router, all goes to hell.

satindemon4u, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

Wired In Connection on a modem router Combo

1. Wired In Connection on a modem router Combo - Similar Threads - Wired Connection modem

2. Use modem/router combo as router only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Use modem/router combo as router only: I purchased an Arris SURFboard SBG6700-AC (modem/wifi combo) several years ago. I moved to another city with a different ISP. The cable guy could not get this to communicate with his cable system. There is an 80-year-old woman (neighbor) who has internet but no wifi. I bought...
  3. Connecting an external hard drive to a modem-router

Connecting an external hard drive to a modem-router: I have a Western Digital My Book Essential external hard drive connected to my desktop computer by USB. I wanted to connect it instead to my Sky modem-router. Because the router does not have a USB port, I purchased a USB-to-RJ45 adapter and used this to make the connection....
  4. Connect a NBN modem to a ADSL modem router

Connect a NBN modem to a ADSL modem router: I am thinking of converting to NBN service in Australia. However, my setup at the moment is single box ADSL modem with a switching router, which I connect my equipment to its LAN ports. With the new NBN standalone modem, how do I connect to the existing switch router...
  5. Cable Modem/router + Personal router

Cable Modem/router + Personal router: My cable company provides a box that is a modem & router. I also use my own router attached to the cable modem. I have done nothing to the cable box except attach a cable from my router to it. Do I need to "Bridge" the cable router or can I use the WiFi from it along with the...
  6. No xbox one controller/wire combo is connecting to PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No xbox one controller/wire combo is connecting to PC: I have tried different usb ports, different wires, and different controllers and none of them will connect. I tried restarting the PC and I downloaded the "Xbox accessories" app and nothing is fixing it. Out of options here. submitted by /u/ShuFu12 [link] [comments]...
  7. Speed drop if going through a router, fine if wired direct from modem

Speed drop if going through a router, fine if wired direct from modem: I have a Docsis 3.0 motorola modem (provided by Spectrum). If I connect the ethernet from the modem direct to my PC, i immediately get full bandwidth, 120 Mbps, on all speedtests (fast.com etc). However, if I first go to my router, then ethernet to the PC, the speed drops to...
  8. windows 10 system - will not connect to new wireless router/modem

windows 10 system - will not connect to new wireless router/modem: I installed a new wireless **** Surfboard today for internet connection. My windows 10 was previously hooked up to a ethernet cable that was attached to wireless repeater. I disconnected the ethernet i restarted the computer. The computer will not recognize a wireless...
  9. Panoramic TG1682G Modem/Router Combo

Panoramic TG1682G Modem/Router Combo: I had to set up my own internet line and my ISP gave me one of these combos. I hate using combos. I have a Linksys WRT1900AC Router that I want to use. How would I go about using that, instead of the built in Router? Do I need to disable DHCP Server, or just take the check...
  10. Nightly reset for modem and router.

Nightly reset for modem and router.: Is it ok to do nightly resets on my router and modem? Im making "network closet" which will hold my Nighthawk x6 and surfboard modem. I never thought about resetting them on a nightly basic tell now. this way i can flush them fresh every morning. or is this pointless? 89858