Windows 10: Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update

Discus and support Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My friend has an odd issue. His internet stopped working after an update. It turned out that he no longer has a wireless adapter "installed." I went to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GuyInDogSuit, May 25, 2016.

1. Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update

My friend has an odd issue. His internet stopped working after an update. It turned out that he no longer has a wireless adapter "installed." I went to HP's support site, but they only had drivers for Windows 8.1, and there were 5 different ones, at that. I tried installing them one at a time and rebooting, then uninstalling, but none of them re-enabled the adapter. I'm stumped on this. I tried tethering my phone and checking Windows Updates, but there's none. So how do I get this driver working again? It's an HP Envy dv6.

:)

GuyInDogSuit, May 25, 2016
  2. Oli.S Win User

WiFi function removed in Surface Pro 2 after installation of Windows 10

I have the same issue. The solution provided doesn't work, because the wireless adapter has disappeared after installing Window 10.

No wifi icon in task bar.

No wifi icon in action centre.

No wifi adapter in Network Adapters.

It seems to work fine in Windows 8.1.

Oli.S, May 25, 2016
  3. Wifi settings tab is missing, can't search for wireless network

WiFi settings tab suddenly disappeared and currently unable to search for wireless network after a Bluetooth USB dongle was repeatedly connected and disconnected because of loose USB port, wireless adapter is connected properly uninstalled and re-installed
    drivers and even changed wireless adapter and problem remains the same.

AbdullahRubeh, May 25, 2016
  4. Railtech Win User

Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update

If you uninstall the wireless device in Device Manager and reboot Windows should find a new device and install generic drivers for it.

Railtech, May 25, 2016
  5. badrobot Win User
    He can try uninstalling the update just to make it work again if he needs the computer badly. But try the suggestion above me first.

badrobot, May 25, 2016
  6. RWOne Win User
    What does device manager show for a wifi adapter if at all?

RWOne, May 25, 2016
  7. There is no WiFi adapter in Device Manager. That's what I mean by "disappeared."

GuyInDogSuit, May 26, 2016
  8. EdTittel Win User

You should be able to go to the HP support page for that Envy model, and download the Wi-Fi driver (you may even be able to get the site to recognize the PC and look up its configuration). If you reinstall the driver manually, it should once again appear in DevMgr. I've had similar problems on HP and Dell laptops and tablets when a new install doesn't include drivers for the network adapter in use. This is also painfully and especially true for the Atheros/Killer network interfaces (my son has a Dell XPS2701 AIO machine that is prone to losing its Wi-Fi interface for this very reason).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 26, 2016
  9. I took out the battery and found the exact model the WiFi interface is, but the drivers don't seem to work. Nothing new is appearing in the Device Manager and I've tried installing "legacy hardware" and selected the x64 Win10 inf, but the Manufacturer and Device columns are empty and I can't move forward.

I forgot to mention, the Wireless button on this laptop (F12) is and always is orange, and pressing it enables or disables airplane mode. Doesn't turn on wireless or Bluetooth.

EDIT: One of the drivers from the HP support site created a Ralink WiFi adapter in the Device Manager, that only shows when hidden devices are shown. The properties/status says driver is installed but the device is not connected. WTF?

GuyInDogSuit, May 26, 2016
  10. Railtech Win User
    Click on start button select Settings from menu, select Network and Internet, select WiFi and make sure it is turned on.

If wireless is on, search for HP connection Manager using Windows search and see if it will allow you to turn wireless on.

If not search for Windows Mobility Center using Windows search and see if you can turn on wireless there.

If all of the above fails uninstall the HP Connections Manager. Repeat step 1 above and see if that changes things

Railtech, May 29, 2016
  11. Mystere Win User
    HP requires a special driver installed for the Wireless Button to work, it could be this driver is not installed or not installed properly. Try re-installing the wireless button driver.

Mystere, May 29, 2016
  12. He never had Connections Manager installed. I tried a fresh install of Windows 10 and there is no version of HP Connection Manager for Windows 10. They all say "this was intended for an older version of Windows." In Mobile Center, there is no Wireless option, either. It's odd.

Windows Update installed that. It didn't change the color of the F12 key, or enable wireless.

GuyInDogSuit, May 30, 2016
  13. Mystere Win User

You can't always count on Windows Update to install the correct driver. The symptom here is that the drive button isn't working to enable the wireless, so i'd focus on getting the correct driver installed.

Mystere, May 31, 2016
  14. How will it enable the wireless if there's no wireless adapter installed?

GuyInDogSuit, Jun 2, 2016
  15. RWOne Win User
    Let's start here:

What is the exact model number of the laptop?

DV6- XXXX

Post screenie of Device Manager, expand network adapters and unknown device headers as appropriate.

RWOne, Jun 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update - Similar Threads - Wireless adapter disappeared

2. Wireless adapter keeps disappearing and appearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wireless adapter keeps disappearing and appearing: I don't know if my laptop adapter is broken now or is something that has to do with my DNS. From time to time my wireless connection/adapter keeps disappearing and after I left it for quite sometime, it'll appear again. I'm fine when it happens in my home because I can just...
  3. Wireless adapter keeps disappearing and appearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless adapter keeps disappearing and appearing: I don't know if my laptop adapter is broken now or is something that has to do with my DNS. From time to time my wireless connection/adapter keeps disappearing and after I left it for quite sometime, it'll appear again. I'm fine when it happens in my home because I can just...
  4. Wireless adapter just disappeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless adapter just disappeared: Hello, I've tried all known troubleshoots that I could find on the internet about dealing with a code 45 wireless adapter error but haven't got any luck. At the last attempt of uninstalling and restarting my machine, the wireless adapter vanished from my devices list and...
  5. Wireless Adapter and Bluetooth are disappeared after update with KB4534132 3rd request

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wireless Adapter and Bluetooth are disappeared after update with KB4534132 3rd request: On 31JAN2020, I have downloaded Windows 10 update KB4534132 to my Fujitsu laptop. After installation, both wireless and bluetooth adapters are disappeared. I have run the troubleshooters at Windows Settings and I cannot find them from Device Manager. Many people...
  6. Wireless Adapter and Bluetooth are disappeared after update with KB4534132

Wireless Adapter and Bluetooth are disappeared after update with KB4534132: On 31JAN2020, I have downloaded Windows 10 update KB4534132 to my Fujitsu laptop. After installation, both wireless adapter and bluetooth are disappeared. I cannot find them from Device Manager. My laptop cannot connect to any wifi network and any bluetooth device now....
  7. Wireless Adapter disappeared on Device Manager...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless Adapter disappeared on Device Manager...: Can you please help me with this problem I encountered... Suddenly my wireless stopped working and the driver just suddenly disappeared as well... I have already checked my Device Manager... and I have enabled the "show hidden devices" but nothing still appears on my...
  8. Wireless network adapter keeps disappearing after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wireless network adapter keeps disappearing after Windows 10 update: I have an Asus model Q502LA , my Intel Wireless Software network adapter/ driver keeps disappearing. Which prevents me from getting on the internet without an Ethernet connection. Sometimes I am able to reinstall itit whi solves the problem, but recently this no longer works....
  9. my wireless adapter has disappeared

my wireless adapter has disappeared: I tried downloading the driver again and reinstalling but every attempt ends in the installer shutting itself down https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wireless-adapter-has-disappeared/0d9eb620-b400-45c9-a96d-6af50ea4ea77
  10. Wireless Network Adapter disappeared after Windows 10 upgrade

Wireless Network Adapter disappeared after Windows 10 upgrade: Hey, So after 2 failed attempts at installing Windows 10 on an Acer Aspire Z5801 PC, I finally managed to succeed. However, a new problem appeared after installation.. The Wireless network adapter went completely missing. Windows does not detect its existence at all,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. asus Wireless Adapter disappeared after windows 10 upgrade asus forum

2. ive installed a wireless adapter on my computer becausethe original vanished however my pc isnt using it - what can i do