Windows 10: Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update

Discus and support Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; DV6-7202. I can't post screenshots right now 'cause he's at work. All it lists is the ethernet adapter, anyway. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GuyInDogSuit, May 25, 2016.

1. Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update

DV6-7202. I can't post screenshots right now 'cause he's at work. All it lists is the ethernet adapter, anyway.

GuyInDogSuit, Jun 3, 2016
  2. Mystere Win User

When the button "turns off" the wireless, then the OS doesn't see it anymore... It disappears. Turning it back on makes it appear again.

Mystere, Jun 3, 2016
  3. I stated before, that before I installed Windows again, the button driver was installed along with all the HP software, and that button did nothing except enable or disable airplane mode. The color was always orange.

GuyInDogSuit, Jun 4, 2016
  4. Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update

check on the keyboard if the wifi number like f key is on
    i agree with (Mystere) just check

gijoetech1, Jun 4, 2016
  5. It's F12, and it's ALWAYS lit orange. It was before I reinstalled Windows 10, and it still is, regardless of whether it's pressed or not.

GuyInDogSuit, Jun 4, 2016
  6. Well the good news is that after the ROM for the HP wireless key gets the latest update, the light is always white *Wink

You said that you tried all 5 of the drivers on HP, did you try uninstalling the driver (remove software if offered) and letting WU find what it thinks is the best one? Ask your friend to flip the notebook over and read you the FCC RF label - that should tell you what device is in the box. Post the complete model information, including any sub numbers/letters (take a picture of it and post the label)

Once the machine and network device is known, real progress can be made.

Slartybart, Jun 4, 2016
  7. Which one:
    HP ENVY dv6-7202ax Notebook PC
    HP ENVY dv6-7202ee Notebook PC
    HP ENVY dv6-7202eg Notebook PC
    HP ENVY dv6-7202se Notebook PC
    HP ENVY dv6-7202ss Notebook PC
    HP ENVY dv6-7202tu Notebook PC
    HP ENVY dv6-7202tx Notebook PC

If you have the link, just post that - thanks

Slartybart, Jun 4, 2016
  8. Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update

I don't recall, exactly. I know it ended with "us." And I got the Ralink model number under the battery. There's two Ralink drivers on the HP website, and I found a "Windows 10" one on the MediaTek website. That's the one that said the device was "disconnected."

GuyInDogSuit, Jun 5, 2016
  9. Any chance you want to share the Ralink model number?

Mediatek acquired Ralink, so that was the right place to go. I solved a 5G issue on Win8 that had an Asus USB adapter (Ralink chip). The Asus drivers were out of date, but the Mediatek driver worked ... and the internet speed was about 70-80% of the device claim instead of 20%. You''ll never get the full speed given the overhead and other considerations.

Anyway, the most recent driver I downloaded from Mediatek for that chip - Windows claims is not for Win8 ... go figure

Win10 however provided the correct Mediatek driver after uninstalling all the other attempts (with the Mediatek utility, without the Mediatek utility, installing just the driver on the device in Device Mgr....

A manaul WU brought the correct driver down - case closed on that machine.

When you uninstall the driver, make sure you answer yes or check the box to remove software.
    Restart the machine, run WU

Slartybart, Jun 5, 2016
  10. Yeah, that didn't work for us.

GuyInDogSuit, Jun 6, 2016
  11. The laptop fell into my ownership yesterday, as he owed me money. A mutual friend of ours had installed Ubuntu on it, and go figure, the WiFi worked. I reinstalled Windows 10 on it, and once again, the wireless chip is nonexistent. However, this time, I can't get any hidden "disconnected" devices to show up.

Here's the stats of the laptop:
    HP ENVY DV6-7220us
    Model #: C2L31UA
    Ralink Radio Model RT5390

Several HP forum threads linked to this driver, which did nothing. No new devices show up in Device Manager, STILL.

GuyInDogSuit, Sep 3, 2016
  12. Kbird Win User
    If you open the Driver .INF file linked you can see your model is supported by that driver supposedly under Ralink and HP etc though you would need the True Hardware ID from Device to identify 100% ... which is the issue *Smile as there appears to be at least two sub-models of the 5390.....

is this info in Linux?

PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_5390&SUBSYS_F0511814
    PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_5390&SUBSYS_F0521814

[Ralink.NTAMD64.6.2]
    ; DisplayName Section DeviceID
    ; ----------- ------- --------
    %Generic.DeviceDesc% = NDIS61_RT2800P.ndi, PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0601
    %Generic.DeviceDesc% = NDIS61_RT2800E.ndi, PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0681
    %Generic.DeviceDesc% = NDIS61_RT2700P.ndi, PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0701
    %Generic.DeviceDesc% = NDIS61_RT2700E.ndi, PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0781
    %Generic.DeviceDesc% = NDIS61_RT3900E2.ndi, PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_3090
    %Generic.DeviceDesc% = NDIS61_RT3900E3.ndi, PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_5390
    %Generic.DeviceDesc% = NDIS61_RT3900E3.ndi, PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_5392
    %Generic.DeviceDesc% = NDIS61_RT85592.ndi, PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_8592
    %GenericVHT.DeviceDesc% = NDIS61_RT7650.ndi, PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_6590
    %GenericVHT.DeviceDesc% = NDIS61_RT7650.ndi, PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_7650
    etc...etc

More PID's / HW ID's here

Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter Driver Download for VISTA,WIN7,WIN8,WIN10/64bits - Hewlett-Packard HP G62 Notebook PC

Kbird, Sep 4, 2016
  13. Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update

I don't know, as I don't have Linux installed.

GuyInDogSuit, Sep 4, 2016
  14. Kbird Win User
    ok , I though I read earlier in the thread a mutual friend had put Linux on it and you were Dual booting....

The link above at Driver Identifier is a slightly newer Driver maybe try it ?

Kbird, Sep 4, 2016
  15. That links to some software that I don't want to install lest I risk getting a virus.

GuyInDogSuit, Sep 4, 2016
Thema:

Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update

1. Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update - Similar Threads - Wireless adapter disappeared

2. Wireless adapter keeps disappearing and appearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wireless adapter keeps disappearing and appearing: I don't know if my laptop adapter is broken now or is something that has to do with my DNS. From time to time my wireless connection/adapter keeps disappearing and after I left it for quite sometime, it'll appear again. I'm fine when it happens in my home because I can just...
  3. Wireless adapter keeps disappearing and appearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless adapter keeps disappearing and appearing: I don't know if my laptop adapter is broken now or is something that has to do with my DNS. From time to time my wireless connection/adapter keeps disappearing and after I left it for quite sometime, it'll appear again. I'm fine when it happens in my home because I can just...
  4. Wireless adapter just disappeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless adapter just disappeared: Hello, I've tried all known troubleshoots that I could find on the internet about dealing with a code 45 wireless adapter error but haven't got any luck. At the last attempt of uninstalling and restarting my machine, the wireless adapter vanished from my devices list and...
  5. Wireless Adapter and Bluetooth are disappeared after update with KB4534132 3rd request

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wireless Adapter and Bluetooth are disappeared after update with KB4534132 3rd request: On 31JAN2020, I have downloaded Windows 10 update KB4534132 to my Fujitsu laptop. After installation, both wireless and bluetooth adapters are disappeared. I have run the troubleshooters at Windows Settings and I cannot find them from Device Manager. Many people...
  6. Wireless Adapter and Bluetooth are disappeared after update with KB4534132

Wireless Adapter and Bluetooth are disappeared after update with KB4534132: On 31JAN2020, I have downloaded Windows 10 update KB4534132 to my Fujitsu laptop. After installation, both wireless adapter and bluetooth are disappeared. I cannot find them from Device Manager. My laptop cannot connect to any wifi network and any bluetooth device now....
  7. Wireless Adapter disappeared on Device Manager...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless Adapter disappeared on Device Manager...: Can you please help me with this problem I encountered... Suddenly my wireless stopped working and the driver just suddenly disappeared as well... I have already checked my Device Manager... and I have enabled the "show hidden devices" but nothing still appears on my...
  8. Wireless network adapter keeps disappearing after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wireless network adapter keeps disappearing after Windows 10 update: I have an Asus model Q502LA , my Intel Wireless Software network adapter/ driver keeps disappearing. Which prevents me from getting on the internet without an Ethernet connection. Sometimes I am able to reinstall itit whi solves the problem, but recently this no longer works....
  9. my wireless adapter has disappeared

my wireless adapter has disappeared: I tried downloading the driver again and reinstalling but every attempt ends in the installer shutting itself down https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wireless-adapter-has-disappeared/0d9eb620-b400-45c9-a96d-6af50ea4ea77
  10. Wireless Network Adapter disappeared after Windows 10 upgrade

Wireless Network Adapter disappeared after Windows 10 upgrade: Hey, So after 2 failed attempts at installing Windows 10 on an Acer Aspire Z5801 PC, I finally managed to succeed. However, a new problem appeared after installation.. The Wireless network adapter went completely missing. Windows does not detect its existence at all,...