Windows 10: Wireless Headphones listed in "Unknown" category, NOT as Playback Device

Discus and support Wireless Headphones listed in "Unknown" category, NOT as Playback Device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; System WIN 10 Pro I am trying to set up some bluetooth Headphones. Already reloaded Bluetooth Drivers, sound drivers etc. I can connect via blue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GOF1717, Mar 13, 2020.

1. GOF1717 Win User

Wireless Headphones listed in "Unknown" category, NOT as Playback Device

System
    WIN 10 Pro

I am trying to set up some bluetooth Headphones. Already reloaded Bluetooth Drivers, sound drivers etc.

I can connect via blue tooth, and see that they are connected but; They are not listed as a sound/playback device, so I cannot select them for playback by clicking on the speaker symbol on the desktop

When I go into the device manager, I see the headphones, but they are listed as "Category Unknown". Windows doesn't know what to do with them

Under Bluetooth devices, they are listed under "Other Devices" PAIRED

When I run the Sound Troubleshooter, it says that the headphone jack is on the front of the computer it thinks they are unplugged.

Bottom line: How do I get Win 10 to realize that bluetooth headphones should be listed as a playback/sound device?

:)

GOF1717, Mar 13, 2020

2. Wireless headphones show as connetced but have no sound

My wireless headphones show as connected and are listed under bluetooth in device manager, but the sound will not come through the headphones, only the computer speakers. Also, the headphones are not listed under playback devices.Wireless

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

wfdeacongrad89, Mar 13, 2020
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Mar 13, 2020
  4. Wireless Headphones listed in "Unknown" category, NOT as Playback Device

Network devices listed under Unknown in Device Manager

I have a Dell Inspiron M731R laptop upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home 64-Bit that suddenly quit connecting to the home network. Was using wireless, so switched to an Ethernet cable, but still no luck. I just discovered that ALL of the network-related devices are now listed under an "Unknown" tab in the Device Manager. A check of properties of each item in that folder says they are all working properly, but that obviously isn't the case. I tried uninstalling each of the 4 items, but when they are recognized again they still show up under the Unknown tab. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Wireless Headphones listed in "Unknown" category, NOT as Playback Device [​IMG]

putermaker, Mar 13, 2020
Thema:

Wireless Headphones listed in "Unknown" category, NOT as Playback Device

1. Wireless Headphones listed in "Unknown" category, NOT as Playback Device - Similar Threads - Wireless Headphones listed

2. Bluetooth headphones listed in "Unknown" category in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth headphones listed in "Unknown" category in device manager: I am attempting to set up a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones to my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Version 21H2, OS Build 19044.1466 machine.I can connect the headphones just fine and they end up showing up as "paired" once done. However, according to Sony's user manual, a voice...
  3. Bluetooth headphones listed in "Unknown" category in device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth headphones listed in "Unknown" category in device manager: I am attempting to set up a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones to my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Version 21H2, OS Build 19044.1466 machine.I can connect the headphones just fine and they end up showing up as "paired" once done. However, according to Sony's user manual, a voice...
  4. Bluetooth headphones listed in "Unknown" category in device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB speakers are not listed neither in the audio device list not in the Playback devices list

USB speakers are not listed neither in the audio device list not in the Playback devices list: Therefore, I cannot select the USB speakers as an audio output. These speakers are not listed in the Playback device list from the audio icon in the task bar.See pictures below...
  6. My Bluetooth Headphone is listed only as a hands-free audio in playback devices

My Bluetooth Headphone is listed only as a hands-free audio in playback devices: I got this new Bluetooth adapter, and it works perfectly except when I connect my Bluetooth headphones the audio quality is terrible.I searched everything and everywhere and I didn't get a fully answer. I tried unchecking the hands-free Telephony box, trying to look if there...
  7. Wireless headphones not showing in playback

Wireless headphones not showing in playback: Hi I have updated my windows to new version 1603 but unfortunately I m dealing with so many issues with this new update. I m trying to connect my wireless headphones to my hp laptop but unable to hear sound from it.My bluetooth device is connected but not playing any Audio...
  8. Unknown device in network listing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown device in network listing: I noticed a device that I did not recognize in my file explorer Desktop/Network The device named TB-EGARNER (my computer is Simone) Is this familiar to anyone and should I be concerned? [IMG]...
  9. Bluetooth headphones connect but are not listed as Playback device

Bluetooth headphones connect but are not listed as Playback device: I'm having trouble getting audio to play through my Bluetooth headphones. I am able to successfully connect them to my computer, but I cannot figure out where to set them as the playback device. They are not listed in the Sound panel (even when showing disabled and...
  10. Headphones not showing in Playback Devices

Headphones not showing in Playback Devices: So I've just finished installing the creators update and only Speakers are showing in Playback Devices. I've tried updating my sound drivers as well as selecting 'Show Disabled/Disconnected Devices'. I've also run the troubleshooter. Headphones do not appear as an option in...