Windows 10: Wireless Mouse stops working when external HDD plugged in to USB3 port

Discus and support Wireless Mouse stops working when external HDD plugged in to USB3 port in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a minor but annoying problem and can't find a solution.... My wireless mouse stops working when an external USB3 HDD is plugged in to USB3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dsscottage, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Wireless Mouse stops working when external HDD plugged in to USB3 port

I have a minor but annoying problem and can't find a solution....

My wireless mouse stops working when an external USB3 HDD is plugged in to USB3 port. The mouse is about 3 feet away from the receiver.

My mouse is a Logitech M310.

• I don't have the problem if a USB 2 external HDD is connected to either a USB2 or USB3 port.
    • I have moved the mouse receiver to different ports on both the front and back of the computer but this doesn't change anything.
    • If I move the mouse very close to the receiver (a couple of inches), it works so it seems that the wireless range is reduced when the USB3 HDD is plugged in.
    • If I connect a wired mouse, it works fine.
    • I have 2 USB3 ports and the problem is the same on both.
    • I changed the battery in the mouse but this didn't help.
    • the USB3 HDD is a WD Passport that is self powered through the USB port.

Any suggestions?

:)

dsscottage, Feb 27, 2019
  2. Rose W Win User

External USB3 plugged in at Shutdown equals restart

An internal usb3 board was installed. It has 2 ports on the back of the case and 2 at the front. It is not a hub.
    The Lantec 3 port hub I had been using stopped working when Win10 was installed in August 2015 but this WD external was always plugged in at the back on a permanent basis in the original usb3 that came with this 2012 build.
    I have a second USB3 and if both are active on the rear two ports then the WD will respond as a Usb2 according to the 'info box'
    At the moment just the WD is plugged into the new rear usb insert. (The other usb3 is in the original usb3 rear port)
    I'll do the shut down tests and get back to you...shortly

Rose W, Feb 27, 2019
  3. External Mouse and Volume Keys on External Keyboard Stopped Working

I've been using an external mouse and keyboard with my laptop for a while now. A few days ago, the mouse stopped working. It's a wired mouse and the red light comes on when it's plugged in. At the same time, the top row of keys on my wired keyboard stopped working (the volume controls, mail button, home, customizable buttons, etc.). When I plug the mouse in, it appears under Other Devices in the Device Manager, listed twice as a USB Input Device. When I try to update the driver automatically, it says Windows was unable to. The mouse doesn't work in safe mode. I tried a wireless mouse as well and it doesn't work either. My external keyboard shows up under keyboards as an HID Keyboard Device and Windows says the best drivers for my device are already installed. I've tried all three USB ports and the mouse works on another computer. The built-in keyboard and touch pad on my laptop still work fine. What else can I do? Thanks in advance.

purplewalrus, Feb 27, 2019
  4. Rose W Win User

Wireless Mouse stops working when external HDD plugged in to USB3 port

External USB3 plugged in at Shutdown equals restart

Used an .iso downloaded from the tech (?) site- used Imageburn to burn iso cd for setup.exe ( This was a workaround to the throttled download rate here) Using the Update method takes all day literally or all night.
    My local repair person in a shop installed the board. The bill says Usb3 PCI card with 2 usb3 front port. The change in USB device drivers
    are listed in a posting above.
    Testing Shut down.
    WD My Book in USB2 port= computer stays shut down ( second Seagate external OFF)
    Both USB3 externals plugged in-on. WDMYBook in new rear port. Seagate in original usb3 port.= restart NO BOOT, hard shut down
    Shut off Seagate
    WDMybook plugged into original usb3=Normal Shut down

There are metadata errors in the Event viewer but that could be the link url in the registry which has reverted back to the original with this 2nd upgrade. I had edited first Win10 to the url posted elsewhere in this forum which stopped those errors.
    The first boot this morning had the driver WudfRD fail to load for this device but not repeated.

So it appears I can leave the WDMybook plugged in. Its my active back up for system images and copies of photo work that I do.
    Looks like I might as well get that installed usb board removed.

Rose W, Feb 27, 2019
Thema:

Wireless Mouse stops working when external HDD plugged in to USB3 port

1. Wireless Mouse stops working when external HDD plugged in to USB3 port - Similar Threads - Wireless Mouse stops

2. BSOD when plugged my external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when plugged my external HDD: HelloI have an issues with my External HDD. I have 2 HDD. Since last night one of my HDD is making my laptop Acer Swift 3 Infinity 4 goes BSOD when plugged in.It will slow down the PC once it plugged. After the system can open the HDD it goes straight away to BSOD with error...
  3. BSOD when plugged my external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when plugged my external HDD: HelloI have an issues with my External HDD. I have 2 HDD. Since last night one of my HDD is making my laptop Acer Swift 3 Infinity 4 goes BSOD when plugged in.It will slow down the PC once it plugged. After the system can open the HDD it goes straight away to BSOD with error...
  4. wireless mouse stopped working

wireless mouse stopped working: I have a logitech M325 mouse/keyboard that was working fine. I plugged it into another computer with no issues, but when I plugged it back into my computer the mouse and keyboard no longer work. When I plug in the adapter the computer makes a noise which i think means that it...
  5. Why does my wireless mouse stop working when I plug my external hard drive into the other...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my wireless mouse stop working when I plug my external hard drive into the other...: Hello. I am using an HP laptop with Windows 11. Currently I am using a USB wireless mouse, and sometimes I will also plug in my external USB hard drive which is my drive for file history. I’ve noticed that when the two are both plugged into the laptop, the mouse will stop...
  6. Why does my wireless mouse stop working when I plug my external hard drive into the other...

Why does my wireless mouse stop working when I plug my external hard drive into the other...: Hello. I am using an HP laptop with Windows 11. Currently I am using a USB wireless mouse, and sometimes I will also plug in my external USB hard drive which is my drive for file history. I’ve noticed that when the two are both plugged into the laptop, the mouse will stop...
  7. Wireless mouse stopped working

Wireless mouse stopped working: My HID-compliant USB wireless mouse ran out of battery. Since I replaced the battery, the computer recognizes the device but the mouse doesnt respond. I have tried installing driver updates for the computer and the mouse. I only have one port so cant try plugging it into...
  8. Wireless keyboard and mouse stopped working on certain USB ports.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wireless keyboard and mouse stopped working on certain USB ports.: submitted by /u/Darth_Adas [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fqi8l8/wireless_keyboard_and_mouse_stopped_working_on/
  9. External Mouse works on Laptop but not when plugged into Desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Mouse works on Laptop but not when plugged into Desktop: I have 2 machines, a laptop and a desktop, both running W10. I have a Logitech WiFi mouse I wish to use on the Desktop. This mouse works when plugged into my laptop but when I plug into the Desktop, it will not work. I have looked for possible settings I might change to make...
  10. External USB3 plugged in at Shutdown equals restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB3 plugged in at Shutdown equals restart: If I leave Western Digital My Book plugged into a usb3 port at shut down there will be a restart in a few seconds. This has been the action through both versions of Win10. (Currently on the 2nd version as of Nov.20) At this time the only items that allow restart are mouse,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wireless mouse immediately stops working when usb drive is plugged in

2. wireless mouse freezes when front usb has flash drive plugged in windows 10