Windows 10: Wireless Network Adapter disappeared after Windows 10 upgrade

Discus and support Wireless Network Adapter disappeared after Windows 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey, So after 2 failed attempts at installing Windows 10 on an Acer Aspire Z5801 PC, I finally managed to succeed. However, a new problem appeared... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SingularityRS, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Wireless Network Adapter disappeared after Windows 10 upgrade

Hey,

So after 2 failed attempts at installing Windows 10 on an Acer Aspire Z5801 PC, I finally managed to succeed. However, a new problem appeared after installation..

The Wireless network adapter went completely missing. Windows does not detect its existence at all, it's like the PC doesn't have one installed. It doesn't appear in Device manager + isn't listed as an "unknown device". It's simply not there at all.

The wired network adapter is there, but not wireless.

Any reason for this?

Things I tried:

• Installing the driver from Acer's website - I had to select Windows 7 64-bit as the version is all that's available for my adapter.
    • I used a USB stick to transfer the setup files to the Acer PC. It said it successfully installed but still didn't appear, even after a reboot.
    • Used a USB wireless adapter (Netgear) to see if it was an issue with how Windows 10 handles Wi-Fi - nope, that installed and worked fine.
    • Scanning for Windows updates after using the USB adapter. Some updates were found and installed (no driver ones though), but still no Wi-Fi.

In the end, I reverted back to Windows 7 and what do you know? The adapter got recognised again.

The USB adapter isn't a viable solution since it's required by another PC. I just used it for testing purposes.

Card is a Ralink 802.11n (On W7, it says the manufacturer is LITE-ON)

:)

SingularityRS, Aug 7, 2015

2. Wireless Network Adapter disappeared after upgrade from Windows 7, 8, 8-1 to Windows 10

Hi Lois,

For us to provide you an accurate resolution and to isolate the issue with your
    Wireless Network Adapter, we would like to know the following:

• Are you getting any error messages? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Wireless Network Adapter disappeared after upgrade from Windows 7, 8, 8-1 to Windows 10

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have a Dell Dimension E510

LoisDunbar, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Wireless Network Adapter disappeared after Windows 10 upgrade

Going to attempt another install tomorrow to see if it miraculously fixes this issue. I'm not hopeful though..that's assuming I actually manage to succeed because this specific PC seems to dislike W10 *Biggrin

SingularityRS, Aug 12, 2015
  5. I had the same problem with my WiFi tab disappearing this morning. I just went to Device Manager>Network Adapters and uninstalled/reinstalled the driver for it and it came back and it has been working fine since. I'm even using it now. Hope this helps and let me know if this suggestion works for you. Have a good evening! *Smile - Robbie

robbie2745, Aug 12, 2015
  6. But the driver doesn't even show in Device manager. All I see is the Ethernet adapter. That's why I'm puzzled.

SingularityRS, Aug 12, 2015
  7. Edgeglow Win User
    I'm having similar issues, with the exception that my devices show in device manager, and all but the blue tooth are enabled and working properly - blue tooth got hosed when I had to do a reinstall previously and it wasn't a priority to fix it. I have tried numerous methods, from uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, to editing the registry. When I run ipconfig, the only adapter showing is the blue tooth which seems to be permanently disabled and it shows that it's disabled in both ipconfig and in control panel/network and internet/network connections, yet in Device Manager it appears to be functioning fine - which is new because in Windows 7 it kept telling me the driver was bad, despite uninstalling/reinstalling numerous times.

Microsoft has been working with me since the 3rd of August on numerous Windows 10 issues. It's now the 13th, and Windows 10 is finally, almost working 100% - I still have some permissions issues as well as an extremely slow boot up process , but now I cannot connect to the internet.

Also to note, I am not showing any connections in the Network and Sharing Center, and no amount of trying to force feed it a connection has worked.

Edgeglow, Aug 13, 2015
  8. StanP50 Win User

Wireless Network Adapter disappeared after Windows 10 upgrade

Have the exact same issue with my Lenovo Yoga Ideapad 13. It is the same wireless card as the Acer, not even in Device Manager. Thought possibly the original one had gone bad, bought a new one on Amazon, installed it, same thing. The drivers on the Lenovo site were upgraded for the Windows 10 launch, but they do not initialize the device. Have uninstalled, cleaned the entries from the registry, reinstalled at least 3 or 4 times, nothing, nada....zilch. Had to use a USB WiFi adapter to finish updates. It's got to be a Windows 10-RealTek issue. Have read on Lenovo boards that others have the same issue, but Lenovo is not addressing the problem...big surprise there.

StanP50, Aug 13, 2015
  9. Even I have the same issue with HP DV6-3190ee laptop,
    1. Upgraded to Windows 10 (something went wrong, the OS roll backed to Windows 7)
    2. Once logged in to Win 7 my Wifi & Ethernet connections were missing in Network Connections & Device Manager
    3. I tried many solutions available on the internet, none of them worked.
    (device manager scan, bios default setting, reseat wifi adaptor, etc)
    4. Did system recovery on C: drive
    5. After logging in the the Wifi & Ethernet connections were still missing in Network Connections & Device Manager.

Any solutions for this issue, seems that many HP & other manufacturers users are facing similar issues...

rivelino86, Aug 14, 2015
  10. ^ I also got that when I reverted back to Windows 7. The wireless card was gone but after going to the manufacterer's site and reinstalling the drivers for the card, it got recognised after a reboot.

Clearly Windows 10 doesn't like the Ralink card Acer uses or something..

SingularityRS, Aug 17, 2015
  11. Have you guys tried the "Show hidden devices" in device manager?

theveterans, Aug 17, 2015
  12. Yes, I tried that as well, all 3 adapters that I need are missing (ethernet, wifi & bluetooth)

rivelino86, Aug 17, 2015
  13. Milone Win User

Acer has some wifi/bluetooth chips where the manufacturer of those chips have not updated their drivers. Check out the driver's download site and you'll probably find that they had no idea that Windows 10 existed. I´m not at home now so I can't look up the manufacturer for the chip now but Acer's site will state what models support Windows 10. For those models not on the list, well, we'll have to wait and see if they will be added if and when the driver's manufacturer updates their software.

Milone, Aug 17, 2015
  14. Hbcubs Win User
    I'm not as tech savvy as tall. I upgraded to windows ten and my network adapter isn't working. In the bottom right corner where networks are usually listed it says "not connected-connections available" but when I go to search for networks it won't recognize any.

My drivers have been uninstalled reinstalled and it shows up in devices. If I got into wifi options it shows networks that I can approve or decline, however it won't let me connect to the Internet...

Hbcubs, Aug 17, 2015
  15. Hi There.

I have the similar issues, apart from the Wi-Fi seems to sometimes work and then just disappears!!
    Really annoying....

I am running a Dell M3800 with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64.

The info below seems to have worked for my issue thus far.......
    Steps that I have taken include:
    : Disabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" from the device settings (Device Manager)
    : Edited the Power Plan from control panel and set the 'Wireless adapter- power savings' to "Maximum Performance"
    : Edited the Power Plan from control panel and set 'PCI Express Link- State Power Management' to "OFF".

This appears to have resolved the issue so far.
    The WiFi was switching itself off after around 20 minutes to an hour, but 2 hours in and seems to be stable.
    Will let u know if anything changes.
    Good luck....

RobbieG1983, Aug 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Wireless Network Adapter disappeared after Windows 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Wireless Network Adapter

2. Wireless Network Adapter disappeared from Device Manager after downgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless Network Adapter disappeared from Device Manager after downgrade to Windows 10: I recently bought a new ASUS ROG laptop; it came with windows 11, which was completely unusable for me as Davinci Resolve will not run on it. I did not realize this fully within the 10 day allotment that you get to easily downgrade to Windows 10. So, I just installed windows...
  3. Wireless Network Adapter disappeared from Device Manager after downgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wireless Network Adapter disappeared from Device Manager after downgrade to Windows 10: I recently bought a new ASUS ROG laptop; it came with windows 11, which was completely unusable for me as Davinci Resolve will not run on it. I did not realize this fully within the 10 day allotment that you get to easily downgrade to Windows 10. So, I just installed windows...
  4. Wireless Network Adapter disappeared from Device Manager after downgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Wireless network adapters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless network adapters: The wifi card i have in my custom built PC is a qualcomm atheros QCA61x4, and recently it hasn't been working. For the past few months I've been utilizing a wired connection, but I moved and now use wifi, but I cannot detect any networks and therefore can't use the internet...
  6. My Wireless Network Adapters just Disappeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Wireless Network Adapters just Disappeared: hello, so I have a big problem. so my computer glitched out and it forced itself to shut off. when I turn it back on, my internet won't pop up and my computer is telling me that I have to connect my pc to an Ethernet cable. So I go to my device manager, go to network...
  7. wireless network adapter

wireless network adapter: my wireless network adapter keeps disconnecting i've taken all the recommended steps so far but have had no success fixing the problem. Other devices work fine on it, ethernet works fine on the device in question but wireless connection disconnects over and over and over...
  8. Connect to a wireless display disappeared after upgrading wireless network adapter to Intel...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connect to a wireless display disappeared after upgrading wireless network adapter to Intel...: After reading about a dozen articles and compiling all the requirements for Miracast, I finally figured out the settings change required for the Intel AC-9260 wireless adapter. Apparently Miracast requires both the 2.4GHz capability and the 801.11 a,b,g,n capability. In the...
  9. Wireless network adapter keeps disappearing after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wireless network adapter keeps disappearing after Windows 10 update: I have an Asus model Q502LA , my Intel Wireless Software network adapter/ driver keeps disappearing. Which prevents me from getting on the internet without an Ethernet connection. Sometimes I am able to reinstall itit whi solves the problem, but recently this no longer works....
  10. Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update

Wireless adapter disappeared after Windows update: My friend has an odd issue. His internet stopped working after an update. It turned out that he no longer has a wireless adapter "installed." I went to HP's support site, but they only had drivers for Windows 8.1, and there were 5 different ones, at that. I tried installing...