Windows 10: With a new CPU/Mobo, how much does it cost to re-activate my license?

Discus and support With a new CPU/Mobo, how much does it cost to re-activate my license? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I get a new mobo/CPU how much does it normally cost to re-activate Windows 10 PRO? (USA) I can obtain a license for Windows 10 Education cheaply.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dkhsab, Nov 26, 2015.

1. dkhsab Win User

With a new CPU/Mobo, how much does it cost to re-activate my license?

If I get a new mobo/CPU how much does it normally cost to re-activate Windows 10 PRO? (USA)

I can obtain a license for Windows 10 Education cheaply. Does that help me in any way? Can I use that license to re-activate Pro? If not, can I use that to upgrade my deactivated Pro installation painlessly to Education (no extra cost, no reinstall)?

Thanks.

:)

dkhsab, Nov 26, 2015

2. How Much does it cost to receive a Firmware update for a Nokia Phone ( N91)?

HI ,

IM not sure if this is the right area to post in this but it made sence to me.

Id like to ask and get the Offical answer on this question please.

If a User has bought a Nokia phone ( In my case a N91) and i go to a listed Nokia Service centre ( here in Ireland) how much will the upgrade cost?

Ive been informed that because the phone is stil under warrentiy and bought correctly the update should be free of charge, can this be cleared up please?

Many Thanks

Message Edited by on 29-Jun-2006

01:31 PM

macbuckley, Nov 26, 2015
  3. grey_area Win User
    How Much does it cost to receive a Firmware update for a Nokia Phone ( N91)?

Hi macbuckley

If you have a fault with the handset and the engineer feels that a firmware upgrade will solve the fault the firmware upgrade will be covered by the warranty and therefore should be free of charge

GA

grey_area, Nov 26, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

That all depends on many things. Do you have a copy of Windows 7 or 8.x retail? If so, you can install that and upgrade for free to 10. What's on your computer now? What OS was it originally?

Mystere, Nov 26, 2015
  5. dkhsab Win User
    I have an original copy of Windows 8.0. That was on this PC initially, before the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

I should clarify that I want to move my current Windows 10 Pro HDD to the new computer and keep using it. I would like to not have to reinstall everything.

dkhsab, Nov 26, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    It depends on what kind of copy was originally on the old computer. If it was an OEM copy, it's probably activated with an embedded key in the BIOS, which won't exist on your new computer.

Mystere, Nov 26, 2015
  7. dkhsab Win User
    Yes, so I would need to get a new license because Windows 10 will de-activate when it detects the hardware change. But I want to move over my existing Win 10 Pro hard drive to the new PC and and re-activate/re-license my Windows installation (not re-install).

My question is how much it would cost me to renew my license in this case and which Windows 10 license I can use:
    i) Could I get a Windows 10 upgrade license or does it need to be a full Windows 10 license for re-activation of my existing installation?
    ii) If I get a more featured version of Windows 10, namely Education, can I use the Win 10 Education license to re-activate and simultaneously upgrade my de-activated Windows 10 Pro installation?

dkhsab, Nov 26, 2015
  8. bobkn Win User

There's a chance that Windows may not run if you transfer a boot disk into a system with different hardware. That's completely aside from activation.

I haven't tried it in years, but you may be able to get it to work using the sysprep utility. That can be used to configure a generic version of Windows for installation on diverse hardware.

Whatever you try, be sure to image the existing Windows installation before. That at least will enable you to get back to where you are now.

bobkn, Nov 26, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    The answer to that question is yes.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. With a new CPU/Mobo, how much does it cost to re-activate my license? - Similar Threads - CPU Mobo much

2. How much does Windows 11 cost?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How much does Windows 11 cost?: How much does Windows 11 cost, and will I know if it is compatible with my computer before I pay for it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-much-does-windows-11-cost/88470a4c-57a4-42da-989f-506cf6776fe3
  3. How much does Windows 11 cost?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How much does Windows 11 cost?: How much does Windows 11 cost, and will I know if it is compatible with my computer before I pay for it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-much-does-windows-11-cost/88470a4c-57a4-42da-989f-506cf6776fe3
  4. How much does it cost to upgrade to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How much does it cost to upgrade to Windows 11?: Does it cost to update to Microsoft 11?[Original Title: Microsoft 11] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-much-does-it-cost-to-upgrade-to-windows-11/10a62c57-6e5f-402b-95ec-0aa27a31cdd1
  5. How much does it cost to upgrade to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How much does it cost to upgrade to Windows 11?: Does it cost to update to Microsoft 11?[Original Title: Microsoft 11] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-much-does-it-cost-to-upgrade-to-windows-11/10a62c57-6e5f-402b-95ec-0aa27a31cdd1
  6. OEM license, getting new mobo. Can I re-license?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OEM license, getting new mobo. Can I re-license?: I have my computer with an OEM version of windows. I'm going to be upgrading my hardware - including my motherboard. I've been trying to research but have yet to find an answer to my exact questions. 1. Upon installing a new mobo, can I just purchase a new license key to...
  7. How much does Windows 10 actually cost?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How much does Windows 10 actually cost?: I'm a Linux user who needs to migrate to Windows for several reasons. I'm confused because the official Microsoft website offers a certain (quite expensive) price to obtain Windows 10, while other non-official websites offer access keys for much, much less. Do these actually...
  8. "Windows is not activated" After installing new CPU/Mobo

"Windows is not activated" After installing new CPU/Mobo: I upgrade my computer's CPU & Mobo from the AMD FX series, to the AMD Ryzen series. Prior to this, I did the typical back up of files and what not; because, I knew that I would obviously have to re-install windows. I created a windows boot disk to a USB stick, so now I'm...
  9. how much is the cost to update this.???

how much is the cost to update this.???: what is the cost to update windows10... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-much-is-the-cost-to-update-this/1d1bbd9c-9023-4876-b3dc-f449cb474e4a
  10. How much does Windows 10 cost?

in Windows 10 News
    How much does Windows 10 cost?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Are you planning to buy Windows 10? We have prepared this guide to help you figure out how much does Windows 10 cost? What is Windows 10 Pro Upgrade price? And if you are looking to buy for business for [...] This post How much does Windows 10 cost? is from...