Windows 10: With clean 10 install, how to use existing user profile data?

Discus and support With clean 10 install, how to use existing user profile data? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all, I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I wasn't able to do an upgrade in place (Windows Update kept failing in the midde of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Buzkorian, Jan 30, 2020.

1. With clean 10 install, how to use existing user profile data?

Hi all,

I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I wasn't able to do an upgrade in place (Windows Update kept failing in the midde of the install) or keep my old Windows 7 partition on the same disk (the install USB kept failing to create a Windows 10 partition) so I resorted to a clean install (after imaging the Windows 7 partition).

Under Windows 7, I had all my user data on another hard disk, and it's still there. Is there a way to tell Windows 10 to treat the relevant directories as user profile data? I've tried googling this, but the articles I've found assume you're either

• upgrading in place, or
    • moving from one machine to another.

Neither is the case here.

Thanks,

B

submitted by /u/Buzkorian
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Buzkorian, Jan 30, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jan 30, 2020
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Upgrading on an install with user profile issues

Hi Nazee,

If there are any system file corruption in User profile or Operating system the issue might continue in Windows 10 too. Hence I suggest you to follow the link below and perform the troubleshooting steps suggested to repair user profile corruption and then
    upgrade to Windows 10. Or you may also clean install Windows 10 by deleting all settings and system files.

Note: If you want to Clean install Windows 10 I suggest you to take backup of files and folder.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947215

Also refer the links below for more information to upgrade to Windows 10.

Windows 10.

How to Check Windows 10 Computer System Specs & Requirements - Microsoft

Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq

Do let us know if profile issue is resolved. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jan 30, 2020
  4. With clean 10 install, how to use existing user profile data?

Changing Sign in Credentials for User Profile on Windows 10

Hello Keith,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Is that existing account is a Microsoft account?
    • Do you know password for the existing account?
    If you say Yes for the two questions, then you can follow below mentioned steps for setting up your Microsoft account.

• First convert the old Microsoft account into Local account.
      To get started, login to your existing User Profile. (I.e. Your Son's User Profile)
    • Go to Start />Settings/>Accounts/>Your Account
      and click Sign in with local account Instead. Enter existing Microsoft account credentials, when it prompts for authentication. Then follow the steps to switch your account to local account. Logoff and login back to the same account.
    • Now let's convert this Local account to your Microsoft account.
    • To do so, again go to Start /> Settings/>Accounts/>Your Account
      and click Sign in with Microsoft account Instead. Enter your Microsoft account credentials when prompted and follow the steps to switch back to your Microsoft account. Once you do this it will ask you to
      verify your device. Just click the same and follow the instruction to verify your device.

If this is the only account you had on your PC, then most probably it should have administrator
    privileges. You can confirm the same by looking at
    Your Account settings page, where it read your profile as administrator.

If in case the existing User Profile is a Local account, then you can setup another User Profile by using the existing User Profile. Refer
    Create a local user account in Windows 10. Once you setup new local user profile, follow the 4 step for making it into
    your Microsoft account.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jan 30, 2020
Thema:

With clean 10 install, how to use existing user profile data?

1. With clean 10 install, how to use existing user profile data? - Similar Threads - clean install existing

2. My user profile and data done Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My user profile and data done Windows 10: Hi I accidentally pressed a function key in the keyboard in my msi laptop and I logged in as a new user and in that new user account Windows C data including photo, videos and downloads... Are gone. But when I check into the Windows D folder there is a new folder call 'User'...
  3. My user profile and data done Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My user profile and data done Windows 10: Hi I accidentally pressed a function key in the keyboard in my msi laptop and I logged in as a new user and in that new user account Windows C data including photo, videos and downloads... Are gone. But when I check into the Windows D folder there is a new folder call 'User'...
  4. My user profile and data done Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Installed Win10 Installation Media. How to find existing data?

in Windows 10 Support
    Installed Win10 Installation Media. How to find existing data?: Hi I installed "Win10 Installation Media" on a flash drive (to help rescue data on another laptop) but didn't realise I had important files already on the drive. The "Win10 Installation Media" install created a new drive on the flash drive and I can't see my old data. I'm...
  6. How to change the Value data to 0 on a user profile.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to change the Value data to 0 on a user profile.: I am trying to check user Value data to determine if my user profile has a corrupt profile. I tried to follow the steps I found in another question/answer and found it to be for Windows 7 not for Windows 10. All the step options could not be found. I can log on but when...
  7. Windows 10 Laptop - How do I copy an existing user profile to a new user profile and remove...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Laptop - How do I copy an existing user profile to a new user profile and remove...: My oldest son would like to give my youngest son his Windows 10 laptop, but he doesn't want the younger son to use his user profile. Because the current user profile has all the software, links, etc. that the younger one needs, I would like to make a duplicate user profile...
  8. HELP: Moving just 1 user profile folder (existing installation)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    HELP: Moving just 1 user profile folder (existing installation): Howdy folks, New here. I read the article on moving the users folder during setup. Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 But is it possible to move a SINGLE user profile folder to another drive using symbolic links? for an EXISTING installation (not during setup). would...
  9. Windows10 how to recover user from existing user profile under "C:\Users" directory?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows10 how to recover user from existing user profile under "C:\Users" directory?: My previous username contained non-ascii characters and caused some issues in certain software, so I tried to rename my account into another name(e.g., echo). But the folder name in C:\Users did not change... So I tried to 1. Activate administrator and rename the folder...
  10. Clean install with existing key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install with existing key: I have my Windows 10 Pro since it was available. It was upgrade from Windows 8.1 pro. I want to do clean install in a few days/weeks with the same key. 2 reasons for this: 1. I cannot pass the November update (10586) - I have tried all tips available (even MS rep spent 6+...