Windows 10: With DPI scaling set above 100 percent video does not play at full native resolution.

Discus and support With DPI scaling set above 100 percent video does not play at full native resolution. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am using a 27 inch 4k monitor. To allow comfortable reading of text in applications I have the DPI scaling set to 150%. This works fine except for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by FredTuck, Apr 18, 2021.

1. FredTuck Win User

With DPI scaling set above 100 percent video does not play at full native resolution.

I am using a 27 inch 4k monitor. To allow comfortable reading of text in applications I have the DPI scaling set to 150%. This works fine except for one small problem. When I display 4k video in a browser at full screen it is scaled to 2560 by 1440. This makes sense when there is some application UI superimposed over the video as that is correctly scaled to 150%. If you just want to watch video it would be really nice for the browser or video decoder to turn off DPI scaling so the video plays in its full native 4k resolution. Now I can go back to the display settings and just set scaling to 100% but then when I stop playing the video I have to change it back again so I can easily read the UI. This is not convenient. There should be an option in the browser or the video decoder to turn off DPI scaling for video especially when it is full screen.

:)

FredTuck, Apr 18, 2021

2. Resolution & DPI scaling on 32inch monitor

Samsung LC32F397FWNXZA 32"
    resolution 1920 x 1080

graphics card:

GeForce GTX 1050 (2GB)

Maximum Digital Resolution 7680x4320@60Hz2

Would this suggest that it is the monitor that is the limiting factor?

I'd like to just make the apps smaller but unable to scale below 100% or adjust the DPI below the default.

JackieCharlesworth, Apr 18, 2021
  3. Is there a way to force DPI scaling?

The native DPI scaling is already properly set. (Change the size of text, apps, and other items is already properly set to 250%.). Some applications, however, disobey this DPI setting. An application (ChemDraw) that I am using is "nominally" claiming to
    be HighDPIAware, when, in fact, the icons are not designed to behave well in high DPI screens (somewhat dishonestly). Is there a way to "force" DPI scaling of an application without changing the resolution of the screen?

MicrosoftUserAnthony, Apr 18, 2021
  4. With DPI scaling set above 100 percent video does not play at full native resolution.

Dual monitors with different DPI settings do not give correct scaling

An issue with DPI scaling arises when using two different scaling factors. The screen with the lower DPI display is fuzzy/blurred (most easily seen in text).

Hardware and settings

These are the hardware and settings involved:

• 1x primary 3840x2160 27" monitor with DPI scaling set to 150% (because regular text is unreadable at 27").
    • 1x secondary 1920x1080 24" monitor with DPI scaling set to 100%, displaying blurry text and images at these settings.
    Workarounds

When I use the same DPI scaling on both monitors the display shows correctly. This gives two undesirable workarounds:

• Setting 100% DPI scale on the UHD screen fixes display, but makes text unreadably small on this monitor.
    • Setting 150% DPI scale on the HD screen fixes display, but makes text so large I barely have any screen space left on this monitor.
    Is there per chance a better solution to this problem? Is this a Windows bug or am I using DPI scaling in the wrong way?

EDIT: Here's the system info from dxdiag just in case.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/14/2015, 13:09:59

Machine name: -

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1_st1.151104-1714)

Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)

System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/09/14 21:30:44 Ver: 04.06.05

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8112MB RAM

Page File: 5936MB used, 3454MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Enabled

Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

Herman Groenenboom, Apr 18, 2021
Thema:

With DPI scaling set above 100 percent video does not play at full native resolution.

1. With DPI scaling set above 100 percent video does not play at full native resolution. - Similar Threads - DPI scaling set

2. Advanced setting DPI scaling on Server 2022 build 2108 does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advanced setting DPI scaling on Server 2022 build 2108 does not work: We've migrated from Server 2019 to 2022 same VDA 2203 LTSR CU2 and same GPOs. Now advanced setting DPI scaling from 100 to 125 or 150 does not have any effect. Logon to the "old" Server 2019 DPI scaling works again. Our users connecting via IGEL client CWA 2209 to the Citrix...
  3. Mass set High DPI scaling override

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mass set High DPI scaling override: [ATTACH] I just recently got a 1440p monitor, but the rest of mine are still on 1080p, and because of Windows scaling Issues I tried changing these settings. They do help, but it's annoying to do this for every application. Is there a way to mass change these settings for...
  4. Display scale, high dpi settings etc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display scale, high dpi settings etc: Hi, i have a laptop with 3000x2000 screen resolution and a 1366x768 monitor, when i use the monitor some apps like Davinci resolve and inkscape show weird zoomed resolutions, does it have a way to plug and play my monitor withouth those resolution issues? using high dpi i...
  5. Does scaling reduce resolution?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does scaling reduce resolution?: i have a 27inch 1440p monitor. the texts are really small. so i put the scaling from 100% to 125%. but now things look more blurry. Is the resolution no longer 1440p? also, since expanding to 125%, my mouse is not as responsive as before. i think it has probelms registering...
  6. Remember DPI Scaling per Display Setup / resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remember DPI Scaling per Display Setup / resolution: Hi, Windows perfectly remembers each screen resolution based on the display setup used. When I use my Surface on the Dock, I use the Surfaces Screen as 2nd Monitor. My primary screen is 1920x1200 and I need to use it with 100% scaling. The surface is 2736x1824 and I...
  7. Resolution & DPI scaling on 32inch monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Resolution & DPI scaling on 32inch monitor: I've got a 32inch monitor, using Windows10. I'm unable to reduce app size and content to less than 100% scaling. Apps are huge and take up lots of real estate on the screen but I am unable to make smaller. Windows 10 version does not let you adjust below 100% Unable to...
  8. When you scale DPI up, does it also scale games?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When you scale DPI up, does it also scale games?: Does it upscale the text and everything in games as well? 81506
  9. Resolution & DPI

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Resolution & DPI: I still don't understand this dilemma. I'm working on a 22 inch monitor that has a native resolution of 1920*1080 but there are lots of elements in the Windows 7 x64 UI that is too small even for my vision which is 100% good. I also notice this tiny text phenomenon on...
  10. High DPI scaling

in Windows 10 Support
    High DPI scaling: Hey, I bought a 4k screen yesterday and I have this annoying issue with scaling. In 100% I can't see anything, so the solution is windows scaling. The issue is that a lot of programs doesn't work well with this method and makes the app almost unusable. Example:...