Windows 10: With the mainboard/CPU change Windows license disappeared?

Discus and support With the mainboard/CPU change Windows license disappeared? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I changed my mainboard/RAM/CPU and now my PC thinks I should activate Windows. Unfortunately I don't have the key (was with my PC). How... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Jansoka, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Jansoka Win User

With the mainboard/CPU change Windows license disappeared?

Hello everyone, I changed my mainboard/RAM/CPU and now my PC thinks I should activate Windows. Unfortunately I don't have the key (was with my PC). How do I get it activated? Best without my old mainboard again

With the mainboard/CPU change Windows license disappeared? 0_big.jpg

:)

Jansoka, Jun 14, 2020
  2. Terjesk Win User

upgrading mainboard and CPU

This question is probably asked before, but I cannot find it.

I want to upgrade the mainboard and CPU and wonder if I can activate the Windows 10, which I used with the old mainboard, on the new mainboard/CPU?

I should add that the the Windows 10 running on the old motherboard was a free upgrade from a retail Windows 7 Home Premium. I still have the original Win 7 DVD with the product key.

Terjesk, Jun 14, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Pro activation failed - Recently changed mainboard+cpu

So my old mainboard which I bought 11 years ago and houses an AMD Phenom X2 CPU broke down last week, and since I can no longer find a cheap mainboard that supports that CPU, I decided to "upgrade" to a new mainboard and switch to Intel i3 cpu, at the same
    time installing new pieces of DDR4 RAM too.

However, my windows 10 pro is installed on my Samsung SSD and it works just fine with the new hardware, so I can go straight in into Windows, and later I discovered that my windows activation status has changed to 'not activated'.

After a lot of troubleshooting and reading several articles, I came to realise that I may not have linked my previous activation to my microsoft account (I have a hotmail account).

So the trouble now is I cannot get my windows activated using that product key I bought from last time (which I purchased in either 2017 or 2018, I don't remember).

What should I do?

Vincent de Paul, Jun 14, 2020
  4. Amol S. Win User

Changing my MOBO and CPU a

You will have to buy windows license if you change the motherboard, unless you made the computer originally in the first place, or bought a license key.

Amol S., Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

1. With the mainboard/CPU change Windows license disappeared? - Similar Threads - mainboard CPU change

2. Windows 7 License activation with new mainboard/cpu/memory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 License activation with new mainboard/cpu/memory: It's been awhile since I did a fresh install so I would appreciate any feedback with the task. I have a current W10 digital license linked to my MS account from the original W7 retail copy I bought and did the free upgrade to W10. I have the current W10 USB media downloaded...
  3. Windows 10 Reactivation after Mainboard and CPU Change

Windows 10 Reactivation after Mainboard and CPU Change: Hello dear Madams and Sirs, I would like to change the CPU and Mainboard of my PC, and I wanted to ask if I could run into any problems reactivating Windows 10. I currently have a retail license of Windows 10 installed on my PC, which I obtained by upgrading Windows 8/8.1...
  4. Windows 10 restoring after mainboard change

Windows 10 restoring after mainboard change: Hi All, I've bought a refurbished laptop wit corresponding Windows reseller license. Due to malfunction I had to have the mainboard replaced. Windows 10 stopped working since then. I tried with bootable usb flash plus a Windows ISO file from another flash drive but I keep...
  5. Booting windows on a new mainboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting windows on a new mainboard and CPU: Hey guys, alright so I kinda upgraded my PC, that means new motherboard, RAM and CPU but kept my old HDD with my old windows 10 already on it. Now I'm trying to start windows, install the drivers and everything but when starting the PC I always get sucked into the BIOS setup...
  6. Windows license disappeared after changing setup

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows license disappeared after changing setup: Hello, I have recently changed my computer setup completely, erasing my old SSD with windows 10 home on it. However I DID connect my windows license to my Microsoft account. But when I connected my account to my new pc it simply said that mail account has no connected license...
  7. win 10 license transfer to new mainboard

win 10 license transfer to new mainboard: hello, ive had a reatil version of win7 32/64 bit that i bought for 100€ back in the day.. i upgraded it for free to win 10 back when you had the chance to do so.. now, a couple years later my pc is getting old and id like to replace the mainboard, cpu and ram.. however...
  8. Windows 10 Pro activation failed - Recently changed mainboard+cpu

Windows 10 Pro activation failed - Recently changed mainboard+cpu: So my old mainboard which I bought 11 years ago and houses an AMD Phenom X2 CPU broke down last week, and since I can no longer find a cheap mainboard that supports that CPU, I decided to "upgrade" to a new mainboard and switch to Intel i3 cpu, at the same time installing new...
  9. Win 10 OEM - Mainboard Change?

Win 10 OEM - Mainboard Change?: Hi I’ve just bought Win 10 Pro OEM from Amazon direct - and about to install on a PC I built for myself. I’ve not heard of OEM before - and googled it to find it can only be used on the one specific machine. That’s fine, but I am planning on changing the mainboard soon...
  10. Activate Windows 10 after mainboard change

Activate Windows 10 after mainboard change: I had to change my mainboard and now I can't activate Windows 10 Pro. In my Microsoft Account I see the old pc (activated) and the new one (not activated). I already pressed trouble shooting but I could not fix the problem, because on the broken mainboard I used a Windows 10...