Windows 10: Without notice or warning all files and folder have green then blue double arrows - compression

Discus and support Without notice or warning all files and folder have green then blue double arrows - compression in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Really pissed off at the moment.. turns out I have no say in whether compression is applied to my files. While they buried 'Clippy' the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gidzrate, Apr 14, 2019.

1. gidzrate Win User

Without notice or warning all files and folder have green then blue double arrows - compression

Hi

Really pissed off at the moment.. turns out I have no say in whether compression is applied to my files.

While they buried 'Clippy' the annoyingly patronising assistant in word, Microsoft still apparently allows his spirit to live on in them.. just like the forced updates issue they had to 180 and completely apologise for.

Here's the problem.. all my files are now compressed due to auto-compression that was applied without my say-so or even with any notification.

While I've searched and found a way to turn it off - this doesn't start the decompression process. I still have to do this manually for all the folders which basically slows everything down and oftentimes hangs the folder (freeze and desktop reboot).

Why don't I want the compression? well - you try FTP those compressed files to your website, and see how badly it buggers it up.

Thanks a bunch you numpties.

Btw, here's my question: how do I decompress all my files without crashing or hanging my laptop?

Here's some free advice to Microsoft: Stop being such a bunch of control freaks if you don't fully understand or appreciate all the downstream effects.

Cheers

:)

gidzrate, Apr 14, 2019
  2. fastpuppy Win User

Mysterious Blue Double-Arrows Added to Windows Desktop File & Folder Icons

The fact that Microsoft released something like this with no documentation, no notice, no off-switch, etc... shows that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

The fact that the solutions for this involve either registry hacks or widespread decompression of files is idiocy.

The fact that people putting themselves forward as "experts" without doing even a cursory google search is asinine.

DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU PROVIDE AN ANSWER!

• norton has nothing to do with this
    • it involves compressed files
    • it is part of windows
    Yes Norton is one of the worst pieces of software on the market but this situation cropped up after an update so the solution
    obviously would not have been in lanedog33's 2010
    post.

Anyone with an IQ over room temperature should be able to deduce this quickly enough.

2 example posts of what is out there:

Windows 10 and the Double Arrow icon of death

Windows 10 and the Double Arrow icon of death - Nerdshack

November 29th, 2015

"Somewhere in the recent TH2 builds a new overlay was introduced to indicate compressed files/folders."

“TH2” or “the real Windows 10”

Change or Remove Double Blue Arrows Icon on Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10

Change or Remove Double Blue Arrows Icon on Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10

03/01/2016

the compressed folders will display blue arrows at the top right corner of the folders

fastpuppy, Apr 14, 2019
  3. Vinarino Win User
    Blue Arrows on folder and file icons

Double Blue Arrows that point at each other = Compression:

Originally, this feature was fantastic.

Previously, compression was indicated simply and optionally by turning the file/folder name blue.

Vinarino, Apr 14, 2019
  4. Tonylb Win User

Without notice or warning all files and folder have green then blue double arrows - compression

Double Arrows on icons and folders (compress files option)

Hello Guys,

I recently noticed that all my folders have a double blue arrow on top, after some research I notice is a window option to compress files to save space, never saw this before ever, I want to get rid of this or turn this option off, after reading some info,
    I just find that you have to do this manually, but if I try to do this folder like AppData take forever to change that option, so I guess it should be an automated way to do this or deactivate this.

Thanks in advanced

Tony

Tonylb, Apr 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Without notice or warning all files and folder have green then blue double arrows - compression - Similar Threads - Without notice warning

2. Double blue arrow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double blue arrow: why i cant get of this double arrow ? i already use the properties way . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-blue-arrow/e1e4ff28-6961-4cf3-a0b4-979c6a05eca0
  3. Double blue arrow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Double blue arrow: why i cant get of this double arrow ? i already use the properties way . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-blue-arrow/e1e4ff28-6961-4cf3-a0b4-979c6a05eca0
  4. Double blue arrow

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Blue Double-Arrows Added to all my File & Folder Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blue Double-Arrows Added to all my File & Folder Icons: Hi, I am using windows 10 20H2 OS build 19042.985today suddenly Blue Double-Arrows added to all icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-double-arrows-added-to-all-my-file-folder/42fc2bb3-1a8c-484e-afd0-2072da0476bb
  6. Compressed folder (two blue arrows)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Compressed folder (two blue arrows): Every time I create a new folder, it shows the two blue arrows. I know how to get rid of it after creating a new folder, but it never did this before. Is there a way to change the settings so that when I create the new folder, it doesn't have those two blue arrows? Thank...
  7. DOUBLE BLUE ARROWS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF ALL FILES, FOLDERS AND SO ON

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DOUBLE BLUE ARROWS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF ALL FILES, FOLDERS AND SO ON: Blue arrows on my all file mysteriously appeared on Windows 10 pro I fixed one folder, properties-advanced and uncompressed But the problem is do I have to go and change all my files manually or I have an easy way to do? THANKS IN ADVANCE[ATTACH]...
  8. Double Arrows on icons and folders (compress files option)

Double Arrows on icons and folders (compress files option): Hello Guys, I recently noticed that all my folders have a double blue arrow on top, after some research I notice is a window option to compress files to save space, never saw this before ever, I want to get rid of this or turn this option off, after reading some info, I...
  9. Blue Arrows On All Files and Folders

Blue Arrows On All Files and Folders: Hi, I just booted into Windows and there are two blue arrows on all my files and folders for some strange reason. I've looked it up on the internet and apparently it means that they're compressed. I didn't do it and definetively don't want that. Windows basically compressed...
  10. How to Remove Blue Double Arrows and Stop Automatic Compression of Files and Folders.

How to Remove Blue Double Arrows and Stop Automatic Compression of Files and Folders.: I'm posting this as an answer in the questions section because I believe that more people will see it there than in the discussions section. Recently I noticed that my icons on my desktop had a pair of blue arrows in the top right corner. This was also true for my documents...