Windows 10: Wizard cannot configure Remote Desktop Connection Settings. 6.0 higher

Discus and support Wizard cannot configure Remote Desktop Connection Settings. 6.0 higher in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, I have noticed since upgrading to Windows 10 I am unable to Log into my work network which uses Server 2008. It keeps giving me the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mhroten77, Jul 31, 2015.

1. mhroten77 Win User

Wizard cannot configure Remote Desktop Connection Settings. 6.0 higher

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed since upgrading to Windows 10 I am unable to Log into my work network which uses Server 2008. It keeps giving me the following error. I have added it to the compatibility mode settings but still get the same error. This is the following error I am getting " The wizard cannot configure Remote Desktop Connection settings. Make sure that the client version of Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) 6.0 or later is installed on this computer"
    I have attatched a screen shot also. Thank you very much*Smile

:)

mhroten77, Jul 31, 2015

2. Wizard cannot configure Remote Desktop Connection settings, RDP 6.0 or later needed

Hello Everyone,

When trying to connect to my work Small Buisness Server 2008 from my laptop that has Windows 10 it gives me the following error...

" The wizard cannot configure remote desktop connection settings. Make sure that the client version of Remote Desktop Protocol RDP 6.0 or later is installed on this computer "

I have no issue getting to my server page using Windows 8.1 or 7.

I have used the compability mode for my login page but its a no go.

I believe it uses Active x and to my knowledge that has been removed with Windows 10.

I have tried installing RDP 6.0 or higher manually but it wont except it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you so muchWizard cannot configure Remote Desktop Connection Settings. 6.0 higher :)

Michael Roten, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Remote Desktop Protocol

I recently updated my laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home.

In Windows 8.1 I was able to use my laptop to remotely connect to my PC at work. When I try to do that now using Windows 10, I get the pop up message "The wizard cannot configure Remote Desktop Connection settings. Make sure that the client version of Remote
    Desktop Protocol (RDP) 6.0 or later is installed on this computer.".

How do I fix this so I can once again connect to my work PC remotely?

Elenora A., Jul 31, 2015
  4. ssguy Win User

I joined the Forum to find the answer to the same problem. I used Internet Explorer and added the site to compatibility setting as I had to do with 8.1. I checked with one of my 8.1 computers and there is no problem making a connection with that computer.

I sure someone comes up with an answer.

ssguy, Aug 5, 2015
  5. tlsalem Win User
    I too have the same problem trying to connect to Remote Web Workplace on my server running Windows SBS 2008. I have tried all the permissions and fixes i.e. Active X Scripting etc. but no joy. Edge browser won't connect but there is an IE option that tries but there is some handshake that just doesn't happen.

tlsalem, Aug 8, 2015
  6. Gary Win User
    The brief time that I used my own PC to log in to my company's network, I used a VPN.

Gary, Aug 8, 2015
  7. I will check what we use at work but I don't have any issues. but I also don't use that goofy web login page thing you are, I connect direct to my pc on my desk.

but never forget Win2008 Server is EOL outside of service pack and certain modules. and as such, Microsoft very well could be forcing companies to upgrade to 2012...
    Win10 RDP client may run at a higher encryption level than 2008 is set for.

I would offer that they make sure their aren't any updates to terminal services on that server

cyberlunacy, Aug 9, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

Windows Server 2008 is not EOL. Windows Server 2003 was *JUST* retired. 2008 just left *mainstream* support in January of this year. Extended support is still until 2020.

See:
    Microsoft Support Lifecycle

Mainstream support means that no new features will be developed for it. Extended support means that Security patches will still be produced until Extended Support ends (in this case, 2020).

Mystere, Aug 9, 2015
  9. mainstream support means. for any company with half a brain, its time to upgrade, so for mainstream life, and companies, its end of lifed.
    mainstream support...
    service packs and extended support are all that are valid now. you cant call Microsoft and get help unless you paid big bucks for a long life support contract, which most companies running 2008 didn't do because of the kid that installed it just through it in there on a .local domain and said its a server.

and frankly if you are still on server 2008... its time to upgrade.

cyberlunacy, Aug 9, 2015
  10. Mystere Win User
    You really think that fortune 500 companies are hiring some kid who doesn't know what he's doing to run their IT departments? Extended support means that security patches are still being produced. So you don't have any security reason to throw away a perfectly good OS. You just don't get new features. You only need a service contract for hotfixes that are not security related.

Mystere, Aug 9, 2015
  11. NJB
    njb Win User
    Hi. Can we get back to the topic. I have this problem and have spent some time on it. Does anyone have a solution yet?

12. tlsalem Win User
    I had to change some code in a dll file and can log in using IE on Win 10. It was scary having to do but it is a patch fix. It sure beats having to set up a vpn and log in that way.

tlsalem, Oct 16, 2015
  13. ssguy Win User

I have access to the company server so I used this work around from Amy Wang I found in another help site.
    I found a work around for this on SBS 2008. Navigate to "C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Bin\webapp\Remote" on the SBS server. In that directory you will find a file named tsweb.aspx, right click it and edit it. Go about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through the file and look for the section that looks this:
    sub window_onload()
    Dim targetMachineName
    Dim version
    On Error Resume Next
    version = MsRdpClient.Version
    if Err then
    msgbox ControlLoadFailed_ErrorMessage,0,RemoteDesktopCaption_ErrorMessage
    exit sub
    end if
    On Error GoTo 0
    if strcomp(version,"6.0.6000") < 0 then
    msgbox IncorrectClientVersion_ErrorMessage, 0, RemoteDesktopCaption_ErrorMessage
    window.close
    exit sub
    end if
    What I did was to comment out the second part of that statement so it looks like this
    'if strcomp(version,"6.0.6000") < 0 then
    ' msgbox IncorrectClientVersion_ErrorMessage, 0, RemoteDesktopCaption_ErrorMessage
    ' window.close
    ' exit sub
    'end if
    I have done limited testing and this seems to work, but I don't know if there are any bad side effects at this time. Windows 7 clients do not seem to have issues connecting after this change was made.
    You also may have to temporarily adjust permissions on that file so that you can save the file.
    I also had the compatibility mode on and had it as a trusted site, but I have not tested it without those on.

ssguy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wizard cannot configure Remote Desktop Connection Settings. 6.0 higher - Similar Threads - Wizard cannot configure

2. Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.: Greetings to the well of knowledge.We have a remote desktop farm consisting of one broker Server 2016 and four RD servers Server 2012R2, all of which are running in Azure. They were moved to Azure in a lift-and-shift operation from our physical servers.Over the past month or...
  3. Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.: Greetings to the well of knowledge.We have a remote desktop farm consisting of one broker Server 2016 and four RD servers Server 2012R2, all of which are running in Azure. They were moved to Azure in a lift-and-shift operation from our physical servers.Over the past month or...
  4. Can’t connect to Remote Desktop Configuration service?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can’t connect to Remote Desktop Configuration service?: My laptop has been doing this for the past few days. I looked into what it meant but I haven’t been able to find great answers. The screen looks like this:I’m not a really techy person so I have no idea what it means. I would really appreciate if someone could help or has any...
  5. Can’t connect to Remote Desktop Configuration service?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t connect to Remote Desktop Configuration service?: My laptop has been doing this for the past few days. I looked into what it meant but I haven’t been able to find great answers. The screen looks like this:I’m not a really techy person so I have no idea what it means. I would really appreciate if someone could help or has any...
  6. Can’t connect to Remote Desktop Configuration service?

7. I cannot connect to Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot connect to Remote Desktop: Hi,I have enabled the remote desktop in other system to connect and till 2 days back its accessible to me without any issue.But, recently I have an issue which connecting to that machine, when I am trying to provide the credentials it is showing error.With Old Password:So, I...
  8. I cannot connect to Remote Desktop

I cannot connect to Remote Desktop: Hi,I have enabled the remote desktop in other system to connect and till 2 days back its accessible to me without any issue.But, recently I have an issue which connecting to that machine, when I am trying to provide the credentials it is showing error.With Old Password:So, I...
  9. cannot connect to remote desktop ,

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot connect to remote desktop ,: I always use remote desktop, today will not work , says my windows 10 needs an upgrade to windows 10 pro ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-connect-to-remote-desktop/6fd2c790-c0c6-4e88-bd87-bc1046958b07
  10. Cannot connect with Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot connect with Remote Desktop: After the recent update on Windows 10 pro. I am unable to connect via remote desktop. I have tried both from a PC using the internet external to my router and to the LAN side using my phone app and from another PC on the same LAN. I get the same message: Remote Desktop can't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wizzard cannot configure remote desktop connection settings