Windows 10: WMC user worried about Windows 10 USB upgrade.

Discus and support WMC user worried about Windows 10 USB upgrade. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey guys. I currently use a desktop with Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows Media Center (x64). According to this report, I am eligible to receive a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Silverfish2910, Jul 30, 2015.

1. WMC user worried about Windows 10 USB upgrade.

Hey guys.

I currently use a desktop with Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows Media Center (x64).

According to this report, I am eligible to receive a free copy of Windows DVD Player since, as per forma, Microsoft has once again decided to kill programs and apps that I really like (@_@) with the new upgrade.

My upgrade path to Windows 10 is currently not going well.

I already have 2 failed "Upgrade to Windows 10" attempts (0x80240031; 0x80200001) and when I tried the upgrade option on the Download Tool, I get the message "Something happened".

So I am thinking of going through the ISO/USB route. I already have my USB prepared (Selected Burn ISO rather than USB, then used the Windows 7 USB tool to make a bootable USB).

Now I am worried that if I do so, I will lose my eligibility for this free app.

As part of the Windows Insider program, I have a laptop which I have been testing the Technical Previews on for the last few months. It used to be a Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows Media Center (x86). When I used the USB, Windows 10 installed without any problem.

However, the promised app (Windows DVD Player) does not appear on the list of updates, possibly because of all the updates that have overwritten the Windows.old folder.

On my desktop, I have already run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and it seems to have repaired everything. What to do now?

Are there any WMC users out there that have gone through the ISO -> USB route and have gotten the free app? Should I just hope that my desktop decides to update itself on its own?

:)

Silverfish2910, Jul 30, 2015

2. No option to turn off auto update in Windows 10. Media Centre.

MS keeps stating that "most people prefer Media Center for DVD playback" and so an alternative DVD player is included.
    I disagree. I don't think most people use WMC for DVD playback. I think most people that use WMC actually use it for TV viewing and recording.

I use Cyberlink PowerDVD for dvd's and BluRays. That is the easiest thing to replace. WMC is irreplaceable.

If MS wants to make us WMC users happy - scrap the DVD app and include the TV/DVR functions of WMC.

The WMC has been my ONLY TV/DVR software for years. I WILL NOT upgrade to 10 without the WMC or an equivalent piece of software.

I even use the WMC for music and picture viewing. I know there are others - but why run 4 or 5 software programs to do what WMC does in a very simple, user friendly fashion.

MS is making a mistake. WMC needs to stay.

No WMC = No Windows 10 Upgrade. I'll have to stay with 7.

Bryce Covington, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Replacement for Media Player DVR capability in Windows 10?

I would pay a reasonable fee for a Windows Media Center (WMC) app for Windows 10.

Won't be upgrading to Windows 10 because of NO WMC.

NO WMC = NO Windows 10 for me !!!!

AFelectrngineer, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

WMC user worried about Windows 10 USB upgrade.

1. WMC user worried about Windows 10 USB upgrade. - Similar Threads - WMC user worried

2. Is this something to worry about?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this something to worry about?: Microsoft Community,Today as I was going through my registry I found a folder named CleanMyPC. I have no application named CleanMyPC and never had. A few days ago, I installed Kaspersky in my laptop and it comes with a pc cleaner as well. So, it could possibly be Kaspersky's...
  3. Is this something to worry about?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this something to worry about?: Microsoft Community,Today as I was going through my registry I found a folder named CleanMyPC. I have no application named CleanMyPC and never had. A few days ago, I installed Kaspersky in my laptop and it comes with a pc cleaner as well. So, it could possibly be Kaspersky's...
  4. WMC substitute?

WMC substitute?: I installed Windows 10 on a new HDD that was in my Laptop. So the WMC that comes with Win 7 was not installed. And because I knew that fact, I installed RP 18 and then, later, the VLC media player. But the results were the same. Only a one minute from the DVD is played, and...
  5. Is it something to worry about?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it something to worry about?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ashwinp123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ejhwa0/is_it_something_to_worry_about/
  6. Is this Something To Worry About?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is this Something To Worry About?: I just reinstalled windows 10 pro on my computer and noticed that under system information that it states "Installed memory (RAM) 16.0 GB (15.9) usable". Is this something to worry about, or how do I correct it? 144044
  7. Worries about sudden Enterprise upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Worries about sudden Enterprise upgrade: Hello. Recently after the 1903 update that I got, I saw that my Pro version of Windows changed to Enterprise. I said this to my friend and he said I'll have to pay yearly for the license. It upgraded without my knowledge as I had always checked and had the Pro version....
  8. Wmc installing

Wmc installing: Hi, I recently lost my WMC and tried to reinstall. I downloaded the latest build and extracted Test Rights and Installer. After installer ran, it said successful, but It will not launch. I'm using HDhomerun and can watch live TV, but DVR not there. Thanks for any help. Paul...
  9. windows media center (wmc)- is there an app that is as easy as wmc?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    windows media center (wmc)- is there an app that is as easy as wmc?: does anyone know of a computer app that is as easy as to use, and is of the same function, as windows media center (easy to use and has the pan and zoom, plus accompanying music)?...
  10. Gamers Worry About Windows 10 Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gamers Worry About Windows 10 Store: On the one hand it is great that PC gaming is showing a resurgence, and gamers can look forward to Tomb Raider and Quantum Break are coming to the Windows 10 Store. However, players are increasingly concerned about Microsoft’s track record when it comes to their efforts at...