Windows 10: WMIC running cmd.exe to search for LeagueClientUX - causing +70%

Discus and support WMIC running cmd.exe to search for LeagueClientUX - causing +70% in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This has happened twice now - at least only twice I'm aware of, but probably more often. Basically what happens CPU usage jumps to 100%. Looking at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by smdrzal, Jan 4, 2019.

1. smdrzal Win User

WMIC running cmd.exe to search for LeagueClientUX - causing +70%

This has happened twice now - at least only twice I'm aware of, but probably more often.

Basically what happens CPU usage jumps to 100%. Looking at task manager I see 70% or more cpu usage from WMIC (WmiPrvSE.exe). Checking Event Viewer Analytic and Debug Logs for WMI-Activity - Operational I see lots of errors (which are subsequently deleted so tricky to capture) for a search of process named LeagueClientUX.exe (League of Legends game client - which I have never played and is not on my pc). When I went back into task manager and changed view/sorting I saw almost a hundred of these cmd.exe calls to search for the League client.

I'm thinking it seems to happen at a particular time so I checked task scheduler to see if I could determine something there, but, alas, I found nothing.

Rebooting seems to stop it, but I'd rather get to the source to prevent it.

I've run all my av/am tools and they find nothing. Has anyone else seen this? If so how did you stop it?

Thanks, Steve

P.S. I'll try to monitor it and see if I can capture a message from the event log before it gets deleted - Yes I can see the events (which return 5858) and watch them all become "deleted event" until they are all gone.

:)

smdrzal, Jan 4, 2019

2. USB drive will not run exes.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you and will help you in solving the issue.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if you have installed any Antivirus in the Laptop.

I suggest you to run the program in compatibility mode by following the steps provided below and check if the issue persist.

• Right click on the “.exe” file of the program and select properties.
    • Under Compatibility tab, check the option for “Run in Compatibility mode”.
    • Select the Operating System from the drop down list.
    • Click on Apply and OK.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 4, 2019
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Can't run .exe file

Hi Phil,

There are several reasons why you are having issues running .exe files on your Windows 10 laptop. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your laptop prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What is the error message that you received when running .exe files?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Jan 4, 2019
  4. Trybird Win User

How to let wmic command(s) that within environment variable can run properly in Powershell window?

In Windows 10 V1703, now right-click on Start button, there shows "Windows PowerShell (Admin)" which replaced old "Command Prompt (Admin)".

WMIC running cmd.exe to search for LeagueClientUX - causing +70% 5ee1b3a8-b8e2-4d26-912e-cff479501476.png

In a PowerShell window, can run well the below command:

net user $env:UserName

WMIC running cmd.exe to search for LeagueClientUX - causing +70% 198aa63a-2bb4-46b3-af0f-4a60f17afd4f.png

Now in Cortana's search box type "cmd", then right-click "Command Prompt", click "Run as administrator", open a "Command Prompt (Admin)" window,

WMIC running cmd.exe to search for LeagueClientUX - causing +70% 1c7f4e5c-cb3f-42a5-8b7f-3bf6715847d5.png

can run well the below command in it:

net user %UserName%

WMIC running cmd.exe to search for LeagueClientUX - causing +70% 93b383d9-8418-4342-b9a6-07eba4890e68.png

This indicates that the environment variable $env:UserName in PS is equal to %UserName% in CMD.

And, in a "Command Prompt (Admin)" window, can run well the below two commands in it:

Get the current account's username:

wmic useraccount where name="%UserName%" get Name

WMIC running cmd.exe to search for LeagueClientUX - causing +70% 15e5ef84-34e3-41c0-8d80-7dd087f5fede.png

View a specific user account info list:

wmic useraccount where name="[username]" list

for example, list my user account:

wmic useraccount where name="" list

WMIC running cmd.exe to search for LeagueClientUX - causing +70% 0459533a-30c1-4d89-9c10-3aa705c7d501.png

Now in a PowerShell window, I try to run the following commands, but all have failed:

wmic useraccount where name="$env:UserName" get Name

wmic useraccount where name=$env:UserName get Name

wmic useraccount where name="" list

wmic useraccount where name= list

Please tell me,

which PowerShell scripts are equal to the CMD commands --

wmic useraccount where name="[username]" list

and

wmic useraccount where name="%UserName%" get Name?

Trybird, Jan 4, 2019
Thema:

1. WMIC running cmd.exe to search for LeagueClientUX - causing +70% - Similar Threads - WMIC running cmd

2. cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator: From exe file property ===> check: Run this program as an administrator open cmd: run as adminitrator type cd ==> enter C:\Users\MYNAME\Downloads\Programs\Apps\Viber Setup ==> Enter ===> 'C:\Users\MYNAME' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable...
  3. cannot run an exe file in CMD asministrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot run an exe file in CMD asministrator: From exe file property ===> check: Run this program as an administrator open cmd: run as adminitrator type cd ==> enter C:\Users\MYNAME\Downloads\Programs\Apps\Viber Setup ==> Enter ===> 'C:\Users\MYNAME' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable...
  4. CMD not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CMD not running: I tried running CMD, and flashes and cloes in a instant in both normal, and run as administrator. I found a help forum which asked to try and run it in a different user account, for some reason this seems to work. However I am still unable to run CMD in the original user...
  5. CMD wmic parameter?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CMD wmic parameter?: Good morning, I'm practicing again and I'm facing another problem which I can't solve despite Google. I want to use the "wmic volume get Driveletter" to read the drive letter of a drive named:"test". But I can't get it to set the parameters so that only the drive:test is...
  6. Running a .exe with no GUI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Running a .exe with no GUI: I use Linux on my home computer, but at most other places it’s Windows 10. I created a Python script to ask the user for a password and if it’s correct it’ll display my passwords. This is obviously insecure because the user could edit the file and see all the data that’ll be...
  7. X:\windows\system32\cmd. Exe

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    X:\windows\system32\cmd. Exe: Bonjour j'ai un problème avec mon pc (un lenovo yoga 300). À la fin d'une mise à jour, j'ai dû redémarrer mon pc et après le redémarrage je tombe sur une page qui me demande de choisir en l'option *Dépannage ou *Éteindre le pc. [IMG] J'ai donc essayé l'option dépannage:...
  8. Cannot run .exe files, cmd (admin)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot run .exe files, cmd (admin): Hi! I tried to install a program to recover some lost pictures from an android phone. Later on some error popped up basically saying I couldn’t install the program. I’ve since then deleted the installer exe file. For some reason nothing was working so i force shutdown my...
  9. Disallowrun and locked exe, cmd, regedit

in Windows 10 Support
    Disallowrun and locked exe, cmd, regedit: I did a very stupid thing. I tried to make windows block one application by creating registry in Policies/Explorer named RestrictRun. I did it and then I also created DisallowRun. In KEy Restrict run I added one application, but i couldnt create key for DisallowRun and...
  10. Registry is not starting from main .exe, RUN and in cmd

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry is not starting from main .exe, RUN and in cmd: i have no idea what's making it not pop up im trying all the ways to get it to open, i tried: * regedit in run(win+r) * registry.exe in cmd with admin rights * clicking on the main .exe located in the windows folder 18138