Windows 10: WMP and VLC no longer play mp3s

Discus and support WMP and VLC no longer play mp3s in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Just tried to play some music with WMP; wouldn't work. Just get a red X next to the track. But it worked fine a few minutes beforehand. Same with VLC.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bigseb, Oct 6, 2019.

1. bigseb Win User

WMP and VLC no longer play mp3s

Just tried to play some music with WMP; wouldn't work. Just get a red X next to the track. But it worked fine a few minutes beforehand. Same with VLC. VLC actually plays the track but no sound comes out.

Using the AISO3ALL driver for my DAW and all audio I/O goes through my M-Audio M-Track. This has played everything fine up until a few minutes ago. I have no idea what I changed or how to fix it. New to W10 so I'm struggling to find things (7 was easier imo). Any ideas?

:)

bigseb, Oct 6, 2019
  2. wtf8269 Win User

WMP no longer plays internet videos.

When watching videos (such as on streetfire.net), both Flash Player and WMP are available to play videos. I much prefer WMP because it has better sound quality and can go full screen. However, my friend's WMP won't work to play videos on there anymore. Now neither will mine. It's not just that site either, that's just the site I most want to watch videos on lol. Any ideas/suggestions?

wtf8269, Oct 6, 2019
  3. Windows Media Player wont play MP3 files

WMP does play MP3 files.

As a convention, I install VLC on my clients' computers. VLC is freeware and a far better media player. WMP has not been updated in many years. VLC is actively under development. VLC has far more codecs.

Canadian Tech, Oct 6, 2019
  4. gwin9 Win User

wmp no sound with certain mp3 audio files or books

I have just upgraded to windows 10 version 1803. I have discovered that when I try to place certain mp3 audio books there is no sound, the progression bar moves along as if the file is being played. When I use VLC or iTunes there is no problem. I had no
    problem playing any of these books before the upgrade. I have uninstalled and reinstalled WMP but have got the same result. Any suggestions would be most helpful.

gwin9, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

1. WMP and VLC no longer play mp3s - Similar Threads - WMP VLC longer

2. downloaded mp3 not showing file length. WMP is not showing the file length on downloaded mp3s?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    downloaded mp3 not showing file length. WMP is not showing the file length on downloaded mp3s?: I downloaded mp3s to my desktop so I could put them on my usb drive to listen to in my car. Some of the songs are missing file length so I deleted them and downloaded them again and checked the down load length was there. but when i opened them on my pc the length was missing...
  3. downloaded mp3 not showing file length. WMP is not showing the file length on downloaded mp3s?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    downloaded mp3 not showing file length. WMP is not showing the file length on downloaded mp3s?: I downloaded mp3s to my desktop so I could put them on my usb drive to listen to in my car. Some of the songs are missing file length so I deleted them and downloaded them again and checked the down load length was there. but when i opened them on my pc the length was missing...
  4. BT Speaker paired, connected but not playing sounds in videos in VLC nor WMP

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BT Speaker paired, connected but not playing sounds in videos in VLC nor WMP: I had some fake AirPods that after a lot of messing around connected perfectly. I have now bought a BT Speaker that pairs, connects but does not play sounds from VLC nor Windows Media Player. Like the fake AirPods it seems to have two devices a A Headset - BT SPEAKER...
  5. Windows Media Player no longer displays CD Play; CD no longer invokes WMP

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Media Player no longer displays CD Play; CD no longer invokes WMP: Have been using a USB connected CD player with Windows 10 successfully to rip some of my CD collection. Suddenly when I put a CD in it no longer invokes WMP. If I open WMP the CD player is no longer displayed as media source. All the discussions I have found around this...
  6. WMP no longer recognized in contextual menu

WMP no longer recognized in contextual menu: Ever since a day ago whenever I right click a generic folder with (only) music files in it, the "Add To WMP" and "Play With WMP" no longer show up. If I open any of those folders and right click on any music file those commands do show up. And after I've done that, if I close...
  7. WMP no longer recognized in contextual menu

in Windows 10 Support
    WMP no longer recognized in contextual menu: Ever since a day ago whenever I right click a generic folder with (only) music files in it, the "Add To WMP" and "Play With WMP" no longer show up. If I open any of those folders and right click on any music file those commands do show up. And after I've done that, if I close...
  8. WMP won't play music

WMP won't play music: After over 20 years of enjoying music through WMP I find on this near new laptop with WIn 10 that WMP won't play music files from the music folder or those stored in the WMP library. So I went to give feedback via the Feedback Hub but the msg was not sent as I was informed...
  9. WMP won't play music

WMP won't play music: I keep hearing good things about Iceland jimbo ... hopefully get there to visit (but in the Summer!) skal @nithig Thanks - it's a great friendly place like Ireland the same philosophy "No such thing as strangers -- just friends who haven't yet met" !!!!! try the...
  10. Movie Maker files won't play on WMP or VLC or Naver Media

Movie Maker files won't play on WMP or VLC or Naver Media: I have old videos recorded while on vacations the last 10 years. Most with a Sony CamCorder. Many are video clips of the same place or thing. So I used Windows Movie Maker to combine like subject matter in to a single movie. The original files are MPEG files, and they save as...