Windows 10: WMP causing crash/freeze specifically after updates

Discus and support WMP causing crash/freeze specifically after updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; For the last year or more, whenever my computer has recently had a windows update, I can't use windows media player or related apps after. Usually it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hozer N, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Hozer N Win User

WMP causing crash/freeze specifically after updates

For the last year or more, whenever my computer has recently had a windows update, I can't use windows media player or related apps after. Usually it starts to work again after a few days or less. If I click on wmp I just get a total freeze and have to restart the computer. At first I thought it was just randomly happening but for a good while it's sort of like a clockwork. Whenever there has been an update. The described situation happens.

My computer was bought with Windows 7 but had the 10 update later on.

:)

Hozer N, Dec 12, 2018
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Dec 12, 2018
  3. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Dec 12, 2018
  4. Bree Win User

WMP Problem

It should be there. Let's try again, step by step.

First, find out what version of Windows you have. Use the Winkey + R to bring up the 'Run' box, type Winver then click OK. You should see a version number, 1511, 1607 or 1703.

If you have 1703, open Settings > Apps. For any other version open Settings > System.

Click on Default in the list to the left (in 1703 it's called Default apps).

Scroll down the list to find 'Video player'. This will probably say the default is 'Films & TV'. Whatever it says, click on it to bring up a list of possible apps to set as the default. You should see something like this with Windows Media Player in the 'Choose an application' list. Click on Windows Media Player and it will become the default for all types of video.

WMP causing crash/freeze specifically after updates [​IMG]

Thema:

1. WMP causing crash/freeze specifically after updates - Similar Threads - WMP causing crash

2. WMP crashes/not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WMP crashes/not responding: When I'm trying to rip my old CD collection, WMP will continually stop/not responding error when I'm both trying to add the song track and during the ripping. It eventually frees up, but it takes over an hour to rip one disc. Is there any solution for this?Running on Windows...
  3. WMP crashes/not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WMP crashes/not responding: When I'm trying to rip my old CD collection, WMP will continually stop/not responding error when I'm both trying to add the song track and during the ripping. It eventually frees up, but it takes over an hour to rip one disc. Is there any solution for this?Running on Windows...
  4. DAX3API causing PC to freeze/crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DAX3API causing PC to freeze/crash: Hello,This past week, I've had trouble with my PC crashing and restarting, perhaps crashing is the wrong term, I do not get the blue screen with "watchdog violation" so I turned to the reliability monitor. PC SPECInstalled RAM 16.0 GB 15.7 GB usableProcessor IntelR CoreTM...
  5. DAX3API causing PC to freeze/crash

DAX3API causing PC to freeze/crash: Hello,This past week, I've had trouble with my PC crashing and restarting, perhaps crashing is the wrong term, I do not get the blue screen with "watchdog violation" so I turned to the reliability monitor. PC SPECInstalled RAM 16.0 GB 15.7 GB usableProcessor IntelR CoreTM...
  6. Windows Update Error - Potentially causing Computer Freeze/Crash

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Error - Potentially causing Computer Freeze/Crash: My PC is randomly freezing/crashing with, the screen displays freezing and all USB devices won't work. Originally, it occurred often when I played Monster Hunter World and sometimes when I'd Alt+Tab from the game. However, it has now started occurring even when I only have...
  7. What could be causing this crashing and freezing.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What could be causing this crashing and freezing.: I have had frequent 1-3 times a day freezing of video and audio, and for the past few months, I have been trying to solve the issue to myself and have not been able to fix it. I've tried dusting my computer, reinstalling windows, and updating my drivers. And now just today,...
  8. Update KB4462919 causes album art loss in wmp

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update KB4462919 causes album art loss in wmp: album art has mostly disappeared after this update. An issue multiple win 10 machines. Uninstalling update, along with resetting wmp library brings back the album art. However once update re-installs itself, problem comes back. Microsoft needs a fix on this...
  9. How to limit WMP access to specific locations?

How to limit WMP access to specific locations?: First post here, though long-standing indebtedness to help from SevenForums. This seems a simple question though a thorough scouring of the Net finds no answer. I want to limit the drives which appear in the left pane of Media Player. In particular I have 2 external...
  10. WMP causing excessive disk activity

WMP causing excessive disk activity: I rarely use WMP but loaded it just now (to check whether the streaming settings were OK, as I need them for streaming videos from my PC HD to my smart TV). But as soon as WMP started, my CPU activity shot up, and my external USB HDs became hyperactive. On checking Win 10 TM...