Windows 10: WMP causing excessive disk activity

Discus and support WMP causing excessive disk activity in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I rarely use WMP but loaded it just now (to check whether the streaming settings were OK, as I need them for streaming videos from my PC HD to my smart... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Terrypin, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Terrypin Win User

WMP causing excessive disk activity

I rarely use WMP but loaded it just now (to check whether the streaming settings were OK, as I need them for streaming videos from my PC HD to my smart TV). But as soon as WMP started, my CPU activity shot up, and my external USB HDs became hyperactive. On checking Win 10 TM I see most of the activity seems to be due to WUDFHost.exe.

As soon as I exit WMP, the excessive activity ceases.

Never had this behaviour on previous occasions.

In relatively non-technical term, can anyone give me some insight into what is going on please?

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Jan 25, 2017

2. Excessive disk activity related to Windows 10 updates

My laptop is daily being update for Defender and Windows 10 updates… It is automatic and I cannot stop nor schedule it.

I have run windows Malware: Windows-KB890830-x64-V5.53.exe and Malwarebytes and only found adware.

As I write this my disk is spinning with an update… and it just failed again with:

Please provide the support representative with this error code: 0x80070005

Any suggestion?

JeffreyHutchins, Jan 25, 2017
  3. Excessive disk activity related to Windows 10 updates

Correction:

2: Windows 7 preinstalled

JeffreyHutchins, Jan 25, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

spunk, Jan 25, 2017
  5. In WMP, please go to Tools - Options - Devices (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu). Double-click each USB drive in the list and tick or untick Create folder hierarchy on device, then click OK.

Changing this or any other setting in Sync Options should cause WMP to create a WMPInfo.xml file in the root of the drive. The presence of such a file should prevent WMP from automatically scanning the drive next time.

Tim De Baets, Feb 13, 2017
  6. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks, I'll try that asap.

Terrypin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. WMP causing excessive disk activity - Similar Threads - WMP causing excessive

2. Excessive Commited Memory caused huge Lag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excessive Commited Memory caused huge Lag: I was browsing the web normally when I suddenly gained a huge lag, after some struggling to get into task manager because of the lag I was able to see that the committed memory was automatically ramped up to 30.1Gb and 28.7GB was being used out of it; please note I only have...
  3. Excessive Commited Memory caused huge Lag

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excessive Commited Memory caused huge Lag: I was browsing the web normally when I suddenly gained a huge lag, after some struggling to get into task manager because of the lag I was able to see that the committed memory was automatically ramped up to 30.1Gb and 28.7GB was being used out of it; please note I only have...
  4. Excessive Commited Memory caused huge Lag

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10: Excessive security activity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10: Excessive security activity: I have a Dell Desktop running windows 10. In the last month I have started to get regularly very long periods of intense internally-generated activity on my computer. The hard drive is constantly active for hours, extremely loudly. This happens regularly - several times a...
  6. Windows Upgrade causing excess fan usage?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Upgrade causing excess fan usage?: I have 2 Dell Latitude 3379 laptops. 1 of them was running Windows 2004 before it was released as it was part of the insider program at the time. One thing I noticed in it was that the fan was almost always on and working at considerable speed even though the temperatures...
  7. Excessive writing to disk

Excessive writing to disk: When W10 wakes up from sleep it writes to the disk for 3 to 5 min, what's wrong? Also at start up it writes for 5+ min before I can log in. Can anything be done?...
  8. wmp won't read disk

in Windows 10 Customization
    wmp won't read disk: wmp won't read any disk cd or dvd the drive light comes on for a few seconds then stops. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/wmp-wont-read-disk/22d755fb-3c95-43b0-b0f5-7127285c1940
  9. BSOD When excessive, brand new RAM, lots of disk activity or NetWorx?

BSOD When excessive, brand new RAM, lots of disk activity or NetWorx?: Hi, just re-designed home setup that another computer uses this computers disks through SMB shares, with lots of disc activity all the time, but the problem persisted when i eliminated that as a factor. No BSOD when there is NO constant disc activity though. I also...
  10. W10 startup activity appears excessive.

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 startup activity appears excessive.: *Confused I notice that upon startup of the OS, that compared to W7 and previous Os (exception being Vista) that monitoring it via task manager, it appears to have a considerable amount of draining resources going on resulting in a number of minutes before it settles down. I...