Windows 10: WMP has stopped running

Discus and support WMP has stopped running in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows Media Player stopped running on my Windows 10 Version 1803 desktop PC after about 6 pm PDT this evening. If I click on an mp3 in the Music... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TimField, Jul 21, 2018.

1. TimField Win User

WMP has stopped running

Windows Media Player stopped running on my Windows 10 Version 1803 desktop PC after about 6 pm PDT this evening. If I click on an mp3 in the Music folder, it will run in the other mode but will stop if I try to switch to "Library" mode.

The error message is:

WMP has stopped running daaf2cfc-4bc6-4fd5-bae1-65d4a5a32774?upload=true.png

and once I close this window it soon appears again and when I close the second then WMP stops.

I have restarted to no avail.

:)

TimField, Jul 21, 2018
  2. Bree Win User

WMP Problem

It should be there. Let's try again, step by step.

First, find out what version of Windows you have. Use the Winkey + R to bring up the 'Run' box, type Winver then click OK. You should see a version number, 1511, 1607 or 1703.

If you have 1703, open Settings > Apps. For any other version open Settings > System.

Click on Default in the list to the left (in 1703 it's called Default apps).

Scroll down the list to find 'Video player'. This will probably say the default is 'Films & TV'. Whatever it says, click on it to bring up a list of possible apps to set as the default. You should see something like this with Windows Media Player in the 'Choose an application' list. Click on Windows Media Player and it will become the default for all types of video.

WMP has stopped running [​IMG]

3. WMP playlists are a mess

Between those two steps, delete them all out of the WMP view so that only the ones you have in the file folder are imported and are only listed once.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jul 21, 2018
  4. Bree Win User

WMP has stopped running

WMP Problem

Welcome to TenForums @Badger100

Assuming the video clip is in a format WMP can play, choose 'Open with' then click 'Choose another app'. Scroll down to the bottom of the list of 'Other options' and click 'More apps...'. Does WMP appear in this extended list? If so select it and click 'OK'. You will open your clip in WMP and from now on WMP will appear in the list offered by 'Open with'. Optionally, if you tick the 'always open with...' box WMP will be set as the default for this type of file.

If you don't see WMP in that list, at the bottom is a 'Look for another app on this PC' link, browse and find it in Program Files and select wmplayer.exe. Again, opening your clip in WMP this way will also add it to the 'Open with' list of apps.

That is just one way to set a default app, it's Option Two in this tutorial.

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

Thema:

WMP has stopped running

1. WMP has stopped running - Similar Threads - WMP has stopped

2. WMP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WMP: Is there an WMP update i can try as I keep getting a "not responding" sign. Thanks Ian https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wmp/62044689-8767-49f0-ab7f-f75a31a17ff5
  3. How to Recover WMP 12? Troubleshooter has no WMP, no checkbox etc

How to Recover WMP 12? Troubleshooter has no WMP, no checkbox etc: This is a way out-of-date Windows 10 Home Ver 1607 HP laptop on which the user 'accidentally' clobbered WMP 12 and now wants it back. I tried the recommended way but the entire entry for Windows Media Player is missing from the Media features list. There's no "feature" to...
  4. WMP

in Windows 10 Customization
    WMP: Can I transfer or sync the music on my Galaxy Tab A to WMP (Windows 10) on my PC including playlist and/or library? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wmp/fe461243-4f8e-44d9-ae49-4d5c46f5a264
  5. WMP

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WMP: Hi DaveM121. Thanks for the fix you suggested yesterday on my WMP problem. 100% now. Wish I had used the community first instead of spending 40 minutes chatting to a technician who had no idea of the problem or a fix. Regards RayMR...
  6. WMP

WMP: Hi - can Microsoft explain why fai.music.metaservices is no longer available when using 'find album info' on WMP. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wmp/3783fc2b-baa6-4407-b113-85b0bce2700b
  7. WMP "Apply media changes" will not run

WMP "Apply media changes" will not run: Since the latest 1809 updates, I cannot get "Apply media changes" to run on my Windows 10 desktop PC. Over the last two days, I've tried to run it three different times after restarts and after disabling OneDrive to no avail. [ATTACH] Usually it just stays like this. For...
  8. wmp.

wmp.: in windows 10 how to tranfer music from wmp to mp3. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/wmp/8763b93a-627d-4bb8-a709-cf962876e3e0
  9. WMP

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WMP: I used to be able to sync my music onto a USB pen drive to use in my car using WMP. However since upgrading to windows 10 WMP is not recognising my pen drive as it did before. I have looked everywhere for an answer and I am not the only one.This is frustrating and my force...
  10. WMP

WMP: Sorry to have to revisit an old problem, but.... Windows (I assume) on their own (I assume) just upgraded my computer. I switched to 10 about a year ago and wanted my music downloads to automatically go open with Windows Media Player. I know, I know, I'm an old fart and am...