Windows 10: WMP playing audio but no video in WMV files

Discus and support WMP playing audio but no video in WMV files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello all, Tried searching but couldn't find similar posts. WMP in Windows 10 will play audio but no video for all WMV files. It just started 1-2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by flightmedic, Jul 12, 2020.

1. WMP playing audio but no video in WMV files

Hello all,

Tried searching but couldn't find similar posts.

WMP in Windows 10 will play audio but no video for all WMV files. It just started 1-2 weeks ago. I actually did a clean install and downloaded some codec packages to no avail.

Anyone have similar issue or know a fix?

It's Version 2004.

Thank you.

:)

flightmedic, Jul 12, 2020
  2. GeorgeCB Win User

Windows 10 does not play WMV video files

Hi

Having recently updated to Windows 10, I am astonished (annoyed) to discover Windows 10 does not play WMV video files, particularly those created using Windows Movie Maker. There doesn't seem to be very much advice on this on the net and the following is short list of the tried and failed suggestions:

• Turning on/off WMP through Control Panel>Programs>Programs & Features>Turn Windows Feature On or Off.

• Repeating the above then restarting my laptop twice, after which running sfc/scannow at the Command Prompt.

• Disabling / enabling "Turn on DirectX Video Acceleration for WMV files" in WMP Options.

• Troubleshooting Fix via Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Troubleshooting>All Categories>Windows Media Player Settings - this just returns the message "Configuration settings might be set incorrectly" - but doesn't expand on what settings are wrong.

I also came across this "FIX: Updade to enable DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) of Windows Media Video content in Windows Media 10" at Windows 10 help and how-to - Windows Help.

However after downloaded the 'fix' (Download the WindowsMedia10-KB888656-x86-Global-ENU.exe package now.) it doesn't install - instead I get the error message "Not enough storage is available to process this command".

I appreciate that there are third party free WMV players available, but I liked WMP and cannot understand why it won't work on Windows 10. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

George

GeorgeCB, Jul 12, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Windows 10 does not play WMV video files

Ok, so you've added some important information- it's not just wmv you have a problem with, which is what your post appeared to say.

So:
    1. you now say you didn't hear sound ... do you hear normal PC sounds- does rt click on vol icon, click on playback devices, rt click on default device, test give you sound?
    2. If so, install any other freeware player, and try that. What result do you get with your CD, and what with your wmv file?
    3. Please update your laptop specs so we can see what you have. In particular, what sound card/driver?
    4. When you tried to play a wmv file with WMP, can you confirm you meant you neither saw the video picture nor heard the sound?

Note: I found I had audio problems but ONLY (as some others) with Audacity >v2.03 and any Ashampoo program - no sound card detected- acknowledged by them. Nothing more for some weeks. (Conexant HD Audio 221).

I would not try other codecs at this point as people who had problems with WMP didn't find that helped.

dalchina, Jul 12, 2020
  4. Devi_34 Win User

WMP playing audio but no video in WMV files

WMV files doesnot play video, only audio appears on Windows10

tried all the possibilities...like below..however only audio plays no video..

Options>performance>

• Disabling / enabling "Turn on DirectX Video Acceleration for WMV files" in WMP Options.

• Troubleshooting Fix via Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Troubleshooting>All Categories>Windows Media Player Settings - this just returns the message "Configuration settings might be set incorrectly" - but doesn't
    expand on what settings are wrong.

Devi_34, Jul 12, 2020
Thema:

WMP playing audio but no video in WMV files

1. WMP playing audio but no video in WMV files - Similar Threads - WMP playing audio

2. WMP red diagonal lines when playing videos

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WMP red diagonal lines when playing videos: Hey, So i am using an AMD wx5100 GPU and have used simialr cards in previous builds. But when viewimg video in WMP or VLC, i get a lil hang and then these red diagonal lines. I havent seem to be able to find amything on it, just the vertical line. GPU is not on demo mode...
  3. Can’t play audio or video files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t play audio or video files: For the last 3 days I haven’t been able to play audio files or videos on my windows 10 PC. Youtube takes minutes to load a single video, spotify won’t play songs and when I try to play a downloaded video/audio file nothing happens at all. What so weird about it is that I can...
  4. Win10-2004 media player will not play wmv file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10-2004 media player will not play wmv file: Recently updated win10 to -2004, screenshot: [ATTACH] and I am now finding that the media player MP in this version will not play wmv files. The result of trying to pay a captured wmv file in MP was a black screen with audio. So, I resorted to my test video clip -...
  5. windows media player won't play wmv files

windows media player won't play wmv files: windows media player won't play wmv files. I get audio only but no video. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-wont-play-wmv-files/cab62b98-f361-4f39-883d-74cda82695bd
  6. Unable to play video and audio files

Unable to play video and audio files: For the past few days I have been unable to play any video or audio files on my windows 10 PC. When I attempt to open an audio or video file, the application hangs, or does not load at all, I can still open images and documents fine though. Also when in file explorer, and...
  7. Playing an SRT. file (subtitles) with a video using WMP

Playing an SRT. file (subtitles) with a video using WMP: When playing a movie with a foreign language without embedded subtitles, it is impossible to add the SRT. file on WMP so that the movie with the subtitles can be seen. In order to rectify this problem, I searched Google and found there was an app call WmpSub (Local Subtitles...
  8. audio won't play from audio or video files

audio won't play from audio or video files: This was working. I could play any video or audio file using VLC, Windows Media Player, whatever. Audio plays from the web on Chrome or Firefox then the files stopped playing audio. MP3 files or any video file-MP4 AVI MOV, etc. I updated my video card from a GTX 560 to a GTX...
  9. Embedded wmv streaming video not playing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Embedded wmv streaming video not playing in Windows 10: Hi All, My website is using Windows Media Service for video streaming. It works well for IE on Windows 7 and 8. But it won't play the video after I installed the Windows 10. Can anyone help for the issue? PS. My website is provide video streaming like Windows Media test...
  10. Windows 10 does not play WMV video files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 does not play WMV video files: Hi Having recently updated to Windows 10, I am astonished (annoyed) to discover Windows 10 does not play WMV video files, particularly those created using Windows Movie Maker. There doesn't seem to be very much advice on this on the net and the following is short list of...