Windows 10: WMP

Discus and support WMP in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Sorry to have to revisit an old problem, but.... Windows (I assume) on their own (I assume) just upgraded my computer. I switched to 10 about a year... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jersey Devil, Apr 25, 2016.

1. WMP

Sorry to have to revisit an old problem, but.... Windows (I assume) on their own (I assume) just upgraded my computer. I switched to 10 about a year ago and wanted my music downloads to automatically go open with Windows Media Player. I know, I know, I'm an old fart and am set in my ways. Anyway you kind people told me how to do it. But now this update reverted me back to "Groove". I went back and read old post but am unable to switch back to WMP. If I left click it goes directly to new program and if I right click I do not have "Open With" I tried doing it from "Control Panel" but with no success. Hope someone can help me. Thank You

:)

Jersey Devil, Apr 25, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

WMP 12

What is the problem?

'WMP 9 or better' means WMP 9 and any later versions of WMP, i.e. WMP 9, 10, 11, 12 ... Any one of those will satisfy 'WMP 9 or better.' My copy of Windows 7 currently has WMP 12.

BulldogXX, Apr 25, 2016
  3. Windows 10 - Windows media player does not respond

I have Windows 10 Pro, version 1511. Windows Media Player (WMP) will not play CDs or DVDs. WMP reads the CDs and DVDs, but will not start playing. I can see the files on WMP, but they will not play.

WMP would play both CDs and DVDs before today.

TimothyGranger, Apr 25, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

WMP

Use this tutorial to install Open With to your right click context menu
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Using Open With :
    Right click at the file > Open With > at the bottom of the popup, click Choose another app > scroll to find the program you want ( WMP in this case ) > click that program > check the box " Always use this app to open ( the file type) > OK when done.

davidhk, Apr 25, 2016
  5. mrgeek Win User
    "I tried doing it from "Control Panel" but with no success."
    Since you're more comfortable in the Control Panel, follow the screen shots below. Click Default Programs in Control Panel to get screen 1 and option with arrow to get to screen 2. Highlight the file type and click Change program to change from Groove to WMP or whatever you prefer. Good Luck.

WMP [​IMG]

WMP [​IMG]

mrgeek, Apr 25, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Here are 2 more methods to set WMP as your default program to open audio files:

1. Set AutoPlay
    Right click at Start button > Control panel > top right, click View by : > select either large or small > click AutoPlay check the box "Choose what to do with each type of media "> at Music, click the pointer and select Play (Windows media Player) > at CD heading, Audio CD , click the pointer and select Play audio CD (Windows media Player) > click Save when done.

2. Set Windows Media Player as default
    Right click at Start button > Control panel > top right, click View by : > select either large or small > select Default programs > click Set your default programs > wait for it to load > left side, scroll to Windows media Player > click it > right side, click Set this program as default > click OK when done.

davidhk, Apr 25, 2016
  7. mrgeek Win User
    Also, if you manage to add back the 'Open with' r-click via 'davidhk's tutorial link, do not just r-click 'Open with' and select WMP. Select 'Choose another app' at the bottom (your current default program is at the top). This will take you to the window where you can select your preferred program and tick 'Always use this app' at the bottom of the selection window so it will stick.

mrgeek, Apr 25, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

WMP

To : Jersey Devil

Please post back the result.
    If none of the methods work, I'll try to find another way.

davidhk, Apr 25, 2016
  9. Rocky Win User
    Why do you assume his music downloads are MP3? I am an old fart myself and most of my music downloads are WAV files, with the rest being FLAC files. I have several thousand music downloads on my computer and 0 (zero) are MP3.

Rocky, Apr 25, 2016
  10. mrgeek Win User
    ??? I said "highlight the file type" and used mp3 as an example. Shouldn't be too hard for him to figure out that he can scroll up for flac or down for wav, is it ?

mrgeek, Apr 25, 2016
  11. Thank you so much. I simply watched and followed directions in tutorial that was suggested, and was a simple fix. You people are the best Thanks again as always

Jersey Devil, Apr 25, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.

Please mark this thread as Solved.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

WMP

1. WMP - Similar Threads - WMP

2. My WMP is not displaying the right lyrics dispite the fact that I saved them correctly. I

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My WMP is not displaying the right lyrics dispite the fact that I saved them correctly. I: i have deleted the appdata as advised by Marvin's post. Still the wrong lyrics. I have tried to use Mp3tag, that shows again the right lyrics but when played they are for a completely different song.Anyone can point me in the right direction please?Thnak you EV...
  3. My WMP is not displaying the right lyrics dispite the fact that I saved them correctly. I

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My WMP is not displaying the right lyrics dispite the fact that I saved them correctly. I: i have deleted the appdata as advised by Marvin's post. Still the wrong lyrics. I have tried to use Mp3tag, that shows again the right lyrics but when played they are for a completely different song.Anyone can point me in the right direction please?Thnak you EV...
  4. WMP error when trying to rip a CD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WMP error when trying to rip a CD: I'm trying to rip a relatively old CD, and for some reason, WMP returns the "Windows Media Player cannot rip one or more tracks from the CD." error. I've already tried removing unavailable locations, the rip quality is set to maximum, the Error Correction setting is on, the...
  5. WMP error when trying to rip a CD

WMP error when trying to rip a CD: I'm trying to rip a relatively old CD, and for some reason, WMP returns the "Windows Media Player cannot rip one or more tracks from the CD." error. I've already tried removing unavailable locations, the rip quality is set to maximum, the Error Correction setting is on, the...
  6. WMP crashes/not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WMP crashes/not responding: When I'm trying to rip my old CD collection, WMP will continually stop/not responding error when I'm both trying to add the song track and during the ripping. It eventually frees up, but it takes over an hour to rip one disc. Is there any solution for this?Running on Windows...
  7. WMP crashes/not responding

WMP crashes/not responding: When I'm trying to rip my old CD collection, WMP will continually stop/not responding error when I'm both trying to add the song track and during the ripping. It eventually frees up, but it takes over an hour to rip one disc. Is there any solution for this?Running on Windows...
  8. Is there a fix for WMP corrupting first track when ripping CDs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a fix for WMP corrupting first track when ripping CDs?: I see closed threads going back 10 years for the problem that WMP fails to get correct data for 1st track when ripping. Is there a way to retrieve data? Do people just use EAC or Foobar2000 instead?...
  9. Is there a fix for WMP corrupting first track when ripping CDs?

Is there a fix for WMP corrupting first track when ripping CDs?: I see closed threads going back 10 years for the problem that WMP fails to get correct data for 1st track when ripping. Is there a way to retrieve data? Do people just use EAC or Foobar2000 instead?...
  10. Why do all media players VLC, MPC, WMP, ALshow stop working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do all media players VLC, MPC, WMP, ALshow stop working?: The media players on my Windows 7 computer will frequently not play videos, but will always play audio. I can play videos on YouTube, Vimeo, ect., but no locally stored video files. The error message says, "VLC or whichever player I am trying has stopped working. Windows is...