Windows 10: wmv file does not appear in Windows Explorer

Discus and support wmv file does not appear in Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am trying to convert a .wmv file to .mp4, however the .wmv file does not appear any time I browse for it. I know exactly where it is on my hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sid316, Jun 29, 2016.

1. sid316 Win User

wmv file does not appear in Windows Explorer

I am trying to convert a .wmv file to .mp4, however the .wmv file does not appear any time I browse for it.
    I know exactly where it is on my hard drive from a search I performed and it will open and play in the Windows 10 Movie and TV app. However it does not appear anywhere other than in the search. If I try to find it in Windows 10 Explorer, even though I know exactly where it is, it does not appear. If I browse for it in a conversion app it does no appear.
    Any idea on how I can get to it so I can convert it to a format that will give me less trouble?
    Thanks.

:)

sid316, Jun 29, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jun 29, 2016
  3. File explorer does not open on windows 10

Original title:

file explorer opens and some drives like downloads could not open and automatically closes

file explorer does not open, Jun 29, 2016
  4. ModUser Win User

try to copy that to another directory or you can also try an online web-service....

ModUser, Jun 29, 2016
  5. sid316 Win User
    I actually had already moved it to a different folder and that didn't work.
    When you say try an online web serve do you mean to try to convert the wmv file that way? If so, I tried that as well with two services but when I tried to browse for the file it did not appear.
    It seems so strange that I can open and play it through "search" but nowhere else.

sid316, Jun 29, 2016
  6. ModUser Win User
    ModUser, Jun 29, 2016
  7. sid316 Win User
    This is amazing. When I drag and drop the file inter either of those sites the extension changes from .wmv to .link which neither site can handle.
    What is going on?

sid316, Jun 29, 2016
  8. ModUser Win User

Is your file a shortcut? Can u check the file's path? Is the same with your current directory? (click right click on your file and click Properties to the bottom.. )

ModUser, Jun 29, 2016
  9. sid316 Win User
    I'm pretty sure it's not a shortcut. Here is a screen shot of the properies.
    wmv file does not appear in Windows Explorer [​IMG]

I don't know if you can read that. I hate to put you to all this trouble, but this is driving me crazy. It's a very important clip to me personally.

sid316, Jun 29, 2016
  10. ModUser Win User
    Im glad im trying to help you, no worries. Btw i cant figure out why that is happening to you, very strange. Hmm can u share your file? I mean can u upload it somewhere and send me the link to try convert it for you? i cant think any other solution.

ModUser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. wmv file does not appear in Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - wmv file does

2. External Hardrive Does Not Appear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hardrive Does Not Appear in File Explorer: I have a USB external hard drive that appears on my Windows Desktop under drive letter E. However, when I connect it to my Windows laptop it does not appear in the file explore or in the Disk Management.However, it does appear in the Device Manager and under 'Bluetooth and...
  3. External Hardrive Does Not Appear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hardrive Does Not Appear in File Explorer: I have a USB external hard drive that appears on my Windows Desktop under drive letter E. However, when I connect it to my Windows laptop it does not appear in the file explore or in the Disk Management.However, it does appear in the Device Manager and under 'Bluetooth and...
  4. External Hardrive Does Not Appear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. File Count does not appear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Count does not appear in File Explorer: In every version of Windows I have had including most recently Windows 10 there has been a file count in the lower left corner of Explorer. It shows the total number of files in the folder. If I highlight some files, it shows both the total number of files and the number I...
  6. File Count does not appear in File Explorer

File Count does not appear in File Explorer: In every version of Windows I have had including most recently Windows 10 there has been a file count in the lower left corner of Explorer. It shows the total number of files in the folder. If I highlight some files, it shows both the total number of files and the number I...
  7. OneDrive on Windows 11 - Does Not Appear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive on Windows 11 - Does Not Appear in File Explorer: OneDrive appears to be successfully installed...no errors.Symptom 1 - OneDrive does not appear in File ExplorerSymptom 2 - No 'Cloud' icon in the tray or any way to access options.Symptom 3 - CAN access OneDrive folders in M365 apps Word, Excel, etc. with File -...
  8. OneDrive on Windows 11 - Does Not Appear in File Explorer

OneDrive on Windows 11 - Does Not Appear in File Explorer: OneDrive appears to be successfully installed...no errors.Symptom 1 - OneDrive does not appear in File ExplorerSymptom 2 - No 'Cloud' icon in the tray or any way to access options.Symptom 3 - CAN access OneDrive folders in M365 apps Word, Excel, etc. with File -...
  9. "Network" Does Not Appear on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Network" Does Not Appear on File Explorer: When opening File Explorer>This PC, I no longer see "Network" listed. It shows all available drives but not "Network". All available network hardware is working and a second computer across the room is performing normally and seeing the network. This has been going on for a...
  10. Windows 10 does not play WMV video files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 does not play WMV video files: Hi Having recently updated to Windows 10, I am astonished (annoyed) to discover Windows 10 does not play WMV video files, particularly those created using Windows Movie Maker. There doesn't seem to be very much advice on this on the net and the following is short list of...