Windows 10: WMV no longer has sound

Discus and support WMV no longer has sound in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a wmv file that played fine on my desktop computer previously and still plays fine on my laptop both running Windows 10. At present, however,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GregHergott1, Dec 30, 2019.

1. WMV no longer has sound

I have a wmv file that played fine on my desktop computer previously and still plays fine on my laptop both running Windows 10. At present, however, the wmv no longer has sound no matter what software I use to try and play it I have tried several. **** reports the audio codec as 0x0130 Sipro Lab ACEPLNET. Any suggestions on how to restore my computer's ability to play this type of wmv file would be greatly appreciated.

:)

GregHergott1, Dec 30, 2019
  2. cadaveca Win User

Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue WMV no longer has sound :p

cadaveca, Dec 30, 2019
  3. GeorgeCB Win User
    Windows 10 does not play WMV video files

Hi

Having recently updated to Windows 10, I am astonished (annoyed) to discover Windows 10 does not play WMV video files, particularly those created using Windows Movie Maker. There doesn't seem to be very much advice on this on the net and the following is short list of the tried and failed suggestions:

• Turning on/off WMP through Control Panel>Programs>Programs & Features>Turn Windows Feature On or Off.

• Repeating the above then restarting my laptop twice, after which running sfc/scannow at the Command Prompt.

• Disabling / enabling "Turn on DirectX Video Acceleration for WMV files" in WMP Options.

• Troubleshooting Fix via Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Troubleshooting>All Categories>Windows Media Player Settings - this just returns the message "Configuration settings might be set incorrectly" - but doesn't expand on what settings are wrong.

I also came across this "FIX: Updade to enable DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) of Windows Media Video content in Windows Media 10" at Windows 10 help and how-to - Windows Help.

However after downloaded the 'fix' (Download the WindowsMedia10-KB888656-x86-Global-ENU.exe package now.) it doesn't install - instead I get the error message "Not enough storage is available to process this command".

I appreciate that there are third party free WMV players available, but I liked WMP and cannot understand why it won't work on Windows 10. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

George

GeorgeCB, Dec 30, 2019
  4. fireberd Win User

WMV no longer has sound

Sound Quality

One thing that sticks out from looking at your "My Computer" specs. You list "ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)" which suggests you do not have the correct sound hardware driver. Your motherboard has Realtek sound and the first step is to install the Realtek sound drivers. My ASUS also came with Sonic Studio 2 which is a sound enhancement package. Check the ASUS install disc to see if you have something similar.

May not be a speaker problem.

fireberd, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

WMV no longer has sound

1. WMV no longer has sound - Similar Threads - WMV longer has

2. CapsLock on/off no longer sounds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CapsLock on/off no longer sounds: Capslock works but has stopped sounding upon status change. "Use Toggle Keys" in settings is on. The control panel's Volume Mixer shows all sounds are activated at default. What's the problem?...
  3. WMV File Issue Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WMV File Issue Windows 10: I recently discovered that my PC currently running on fully updated as of 2-18-21 version of Windows 10 will only play audio of .WMV files with a black screen. This occurs on all apps including Windows Media Player, Movies&TV, and Photos. My PC will play MP4 files and 3GP...
  4. WMV VIDEO NOT WORKING ONLY SOUND BLACK SCREEN

in Windows 10 Customization
    WMV VIDEO NOT WORKING ONLY SOUND BLACK SCREEN: I use windows 10 64 bit. My WMV videos suddenly stopped working only black screen with sound. Not very technical is there a simple way to resolve it. Would really appreciate help thanks. Maureen...
  5. sound no longer working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sound no longer working: sound on my computer no longer working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-no-longer-working/3e658450-b4fb-4c9c-9887-a37e2dfcaa4a
  6. Sound is no longer working

Sound is no longer working: When I got onto my PC today my sound was no longer working through my Sound Blaster.[ATTACH] That is what I see when I launch the Sound Blaster Z-Series Control Panel. I can still get sound if I plug my headset in or if I move the audio jack from the Sound Blaster hardware...
  7. sound no longer working

sound no longer working: I have no sound after update running the sound check I am told no devises are installed??- 2 days ago it all worked perfectly and now no driver etc. can be found? windows encountered a problem installing driver for the devise??? help please......
  8. HDMI no longer providing sound

HDMI no longer providing sound: This was previous thread..... But never once does it state what driver?? only states "the driver" Is it the sound or hdmi or both? Jennifer Cha Microsoft Agent | Moderator Thank you for the additional details. In this case, we recommend that you uninstall the...
  9. is there a later file version that replaces wmv

is there a later file version that replaces wmv: is there a later file version that replaces wmv https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-later-file-version-that-replaces-wmv/c81a6abe-729d-470d-8185-da9425b7ff65
  10. Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade

Windows Media Player no longer plays .mp4 or .wmv files after upgrade: After upgrading to Windows 10, Windows Media Player no longer will play .mp4 or .wmv videos. They played fine in Windows 7, but now, when I try to play a video in WMP, I get an error message saying that WMP is unable to play the file. I am using the latest Shark007 codecs...