Windows 10: Wndows does not detect HDR tv (10Bit)

Discus and support Wndows does not detect HDR tv (10Bit) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello , Windows is not detecting my 10-bit HDR tv but is instead showing 8-Bit. To be clear , HDR works with my PS4 and VIA home network streaming.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DracoAbraxas_real, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Wndows does not detect HDR tv (10Bit)

Hello ,

Windows is not detecting my 10-bit HDR tv but is instead showing 8-Bit.

To be clear , HDR works with my PS4 and VIA home network streaming.

But windows doesn't seem to detect it as an HDR TV.

Graphics : INTEL UHD 620

TV: TCL 55P6US

Appreciate your support.

Thanks.

:)

DracoAbraxas_real, Aug 9, 2019
  2. merajaan Win User

Windows 10 1803 HDR problem

I'm having the same issue as you except my TV is the Sony X900E. Windows 10 only shows 8bit RGB with dithering with the 1803 update whereas before (under what would've been Windows 10 version 1709) it was showing as 10bit YCbCr 422. The Nvidia Control panel won't let me select anything beyond 8bit either whereas in 1709 I could choose 10bit.

Playing HDR content such as on the Netflix Windows 10 app doesn't change the bit depth in advanced display settings either. So now I'm wondering whether I'm just getting faux-HDR (8bit FRC) instead of the full 10-bit HDR output that my panel is actually capable of whenever I playback HDR content on my PC?

Speaking to people on forums they show me screenshots of their advanced display settings in Windows and it says 10bit YCbCr 422 for them so not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Did you find a solution?

merajaan, Aug 9, 2019
  3. Poor quality text when using HDR

Hi Don,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I can understand that it must be difficult for you when things are not working as it should.

1. What is the make and model of the TV and the computer?
    2. Are you facing the same issue even on computer or is it only with the TV monitor?
    I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to turn off ClearType for the HDMI output connected to TV keeping your regular computer display. To do so,

1. Click on Start, type in ClearType and click on
      Adjust ClearType text option.
    2. The ClearType Text Tuner app will be opened on the screen.
    3. Uncheck > Turn on ClearType and click on
      Next.
    4. You’ll be able to see the options such as Yes, I want to tune all monitors now and
      No, only tune the monitors that I select.
    5. Select No, only tune the monitors that I select and click on the preferred monitor (TV) and follow the onscreen prompts.
    6. On the next page, select a text sample that looks most readable to you and click on the Next button.
    7. Repeat the same step on subsequent pages. You will see 5 screens with text samples in a row.
    8. Click on the Finish button to accept the changes you made.

Meanwhile, regarding the issue with the distorted colors and text quality I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it works for you.

Steps to change the display settings to match the resolution of the display:

1. Press Windows + I key on your keyboard, click on
      System.
    2. Click on Display.
    3. You will see an option to Select and rearrange displays, click on the display associated with the TV.
    4. Scroll down to select the ‘Recommended’ option under
      Scale and layout to Change the size of text, apps, and other items, and
      Resolution.

For more information I would also suggest you to refer the article:
    HDR and WCG color settings in Windows 10.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Aug 9, 2019
  4. Zafatta Win User

Wndows does not detect HDR tv (10Bit)

Windows wont display 4k and HDR simultaneously.

I recently got a 4k HDR tv (Samsung UE43NU7100). I connect my PC with a normal HD monitor and the 4k HDR tv. When turning on HDR on my tv the resolution of the 4k tv (3840x2160) gets set back to normal HD (1920x1080) in windows settings. Windows is completely
    updated, my AMD Radeon R9 390 8gb graphics card is up to date and supports and displays in 4k when HDR is off. My Xbox one X displays both 4k and HDR perfectly simultaneously. I use a high speed HDMI 2.0 cable. I have no idea why my pc does this and cant find
    anything about windows not being able to do 4k and HDR at the same time. It also doesn't work if I only connect the tv instead of the monitor and tv. Any suggestion?

Zafatta, Aug 9, 2019
Thema:

Wndows does not detect HDR tv (10Bit)

1. Wndows does not detect HDR tv (10Bit) - Similar Threads - Wndows does detect

2. Snipping Tool not working properly when HDR plus 10bits are enabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snipping Tool not working properly when HDR plus 10bits are enabled: Hello!Just bought a new monitor Dell Alienware AW3423DWF.I've noticed that the taken screenshots from some apps aren't looking the same as the original content. Here is an example captured on camera:Left - ShareXCenter - the originalRight - Snipping ToolHere is my...
  3. Snipping Tool not working properly when HDR plus 10bits are enabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Snipping Tool not working properly when HDR plus 10bits are enabled: Hello!Just bought a new monitor Dell Alienware AW3423DWF.I've noticed that the taken screenshots from some apps aren't looking the same as the original content. Here is an example captured on camera:Left - ShareXCenter - the originalRight - Snipping ToolHere is my...
  4. Movies & TV App on Windows 10 not displaying HDR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Movies & TV App on Windows 10 not displaying HDR: I accidentally deleted my post from the other day, so I'm starting over fresh. Sorry in advance.I just got an Alienware AW3423DW monitor that's capable of 1000 nits peak brightness in HDR. Video games and Netflix look great, but I can tell that HDR movies I've purchased...
  5. HDR toggles off immediately (40k 60HZ TV)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDR toggles off immediately (40k 60HZ TV): So I connected my PC to my Sony TV (I've used HDR before on Netflix, PS4 etc) today with a HDMI 2.0 cable and I can't toggle HDR on Windows. When I toggle it on, it just switches back to off immediately, and I can't turn it on in games like AC Valhalla. Does anybody have a...
  6. HDR Not Being Recognized by Windows 10 Despite TV Being 4K HDR Compatible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDR Not Being Recognized by Windows 10 Despite TV Being 4K HDR Compatible: Hi There, I'm writing because I have a TCL 4k HDR TV that I am trying to set up as a monitor for gaming and for work. I'd like to enable HDR on Windows, but when I go to the settings it literally just says the TV is not supporting any of the features listed and it isn't...
  7. Movies & TV stuttering playback 4K HDR 10Bit

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Movies & TV stuttering playback 4K HDR 10Bit: Hi everyone,I cant make this app stop stuttering when playing 4k videos. I have increased buffer size in VLC and it plays 4k videos just fine. Any way to fix stuttering issue in M&TV? any way to increase buffer size or i dont know maybe cpu utilization? Win10 1909, 1080ti,...
  8. PC doesn't recognize Q90R TV as HDR

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC doesn't recognize Q90R TV as HDR: Dear community, The problem that I am facing is that Windows does see the TV as 4K, but not as HDR. See images below: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] As you can see, I have a capable GPU and I also have a Samsung Q90R, which is also HDR capable. Any help is appreciated an if more...
  9. Windows 10 on Dell laptop does not detect 2nd TV and does not extend

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 on Dell laptop does not detect 2nd TV and does not extend: My win 10 is not detecting my second TV. I have an HDMI splitter out from my del laptop. Output One goes to the insignia TV and Output Two goes to the Westinghouse TV. It does not detect the Westinghouse. The Westinghouse and insignia are duplicate displays...
  10. HDR and WCG are disabled but my Computer+TV are HDR/WCG capable

in Windows 10 Customization
    HDR and WCG are disabled but my Computer+TV are HDR/WCG capable: The option HDR/WCG is not available under Windows 10 RS4 and disabled under Win10 RS5 build 17713. In here my equipment: Display TV: Samsung TV UHD HDR UE55MU7005TXXC (w/latest firmware: 1221.0). UHD Color function is active for HDMI. HDMI Cable: UGreen 4K HDR 60Hz Cable...