Windows 10: wofcompresseddata - make it stop!

Discus and support wofcompresseddata - make it stop! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I get a ton of hard drive activity and checking resource monitor, it lists tons of files being accessed by wofcompresseddata. What is this and why is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rivre, Feb 13, 2019.

1. rivre Win User

wofcompresseddata - make it stop!

I get a ton of hard drive activity and checking resource monitor, it lists tons of files being accessed by wofcompresseddata. What is this and why is it always running?

:)

rivre, Feb 13, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

What is ":WofCompressedData"?

Hi,

WofCompressedData file is a disc fragment file and can be deleted. This is created when virus scan is run on the computer. I would suggest you to update the MBAM and rescan to check if you get same message. If yes you may contact MBAM support. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 13, 2019
  3. What is ":WofCompressedData"?

I previously made this post, but the expert who was helping me has not responded to my response What is ":WofCompressedData"?

A week ago, I did a MBAM Threat Scan on my desktop (nothing was found, I actually did a couple over the weekend and Monday too... long story).

During the scan I noticed that a lot of the system files were appended with ":WofCompressedData" at the end. I wasn't paying close enough attention before, but this is the first time I have noticed it.

When I re-ran the scan on my desktop I saw WofCompressedData appear a lot. When I ran the scan on my laptop, I rarely saw WofCompressedData. Both computers run Windows 10 64-bit and both of them came out to be clean. I just wanted to know what WofCompressedData
    means?

I was told "WofCompressedData file is a disc fragment file and can be deleted. This is created when virus scan is run on the computer. I would suggest you to update the MBAM and rescan to check if you get same message. If yes you may contact MBAM support.
    Thank you."

I later posted that MBAM never found any malware during any of the scans and that the only thing was when I was looking at the screen while it was scanning and saw the ":WofCompressedData" continually showing up, I was concerned.

MBAM and Kaspersky and Microsoft Safety Scanner all do not find any problems on my computer.

I wanted to confirm that given all these clean reports, I should not be concerned about the ":WofCompressedData", because as Pavan said they are just benign disk fragments; is this a correct interpretation?

DsomethingV, Feb 13, 2019
  4. wofcompresseddata - make it stop!

What is :WofCompressedData?

I am trying to find out what WofCompressedData means.

I have made two posts on answers.microsoft.com, but I've never gotten a clear answer (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...5-b9cb5982f7ce ; http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3-a0e92467be5d)

A couple weeks ago, I did a MBAM Threat Scan on my desktop (nothing was found, I actually did a couple over that weekend and the following Monday as well... long story).

During the scan I noticed that a lot of the system files were appended with ":WofCompressedData" (or even with ":WofCompressedData:WofCompressedData") at the end. I wasn't paying close enough attention before, but this was the first time I have noticed it. When I re-ran the scan on my desktop I saw WofCompressedData appear a lot. When I ran the scan on my laptop, I saw WofCompressedData, but far less frequently. Both computers run Windows 10 64-bit and both of them came out to be clean. The MBAM people ran had me run logs, and they couldn't find anything wrong.

I wanted to know what WofCompressedData meant. On the first Answers thread, I was told "WofCompressedData file is a disc fragment file and can be deleted. This is created when virus scan is run on the computer." I asked them to confirm that there as nothing I should be worrying about with these files, but the user never ever returned to respond (and that forum doesn't have a private messaging system)

MBAM and Kaspersky and Microsoft Safety Scanner all do not find any problems on my computer. On the second Answers thread, I was told to run sfc /scannow, but the user there did not respond after replying that SFC did not find any problems.

I wanted to confirm that given all these clean reports that I should not be concerned about the ":WofCompressedData". Unfortunately, no one is giving me a clear answer (or sticking around after I reply)

leftisthominid, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

wofcompresseddata - make it stop!

1. wofcompresseddata - make it stop! - Similar Threads - wofcompresseddata stop

2. Stop code not less or equal - help?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop code not less or equal - help?: Hi,My laptop is quite regularly restarting itself with a stop code, not less or equal.I've read that I need to update some drivers but no ideas which ones! Any advice much appreciated.Matt...
  3. Stop code not less or equal - help?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop code not less or equal - help?: Hi,My laptop is quite regularly restarting itself with a stop code, not less or equal.I've read that I need to update some drivers but no ideas which ones! Any advice much appreciated.Matt...
  4. Stop code not less or equal - help?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How do I get the wifi to stop disappearing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get the wifi to stop disappearing?: My laptop keeps disconnecting from the wifi then removing any way to access wifi options. I have to restart at least a couple times to get it to even acknowledge the wifi exists again. I'd like to know why and how to make it stop....
  6. How do I get the wifi to stop disappearing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get the wifi to stop disappearing?: My laptop keeps disconnecting from the wifi then removing any way to access wifi options. I have to restart at least a couple times to get it to even acknowledge the wifi exists again. I'd like to know why and how to make it stop....
  7. How to stop rearranging of desktop elements - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop rearranging of desktop elements - Windows 11: Currently, if create a new folder e.g. on the desktop, the moment I name it, it flies over to the left edge into random locations. If anything is already there, everything gets shoved out of the way and rearranged. Previous iterations of Windows 11 did not do this. Windows 10...
  8. Disk 100%, resource monitor shows alot of things with a file path leading to WofCompressedData

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk 100%, resource monitor shows alot of things with a file path leading to WofCompressedData: My pc lags at random points but also lags for a long while on startup and a lot of the high disk usage programs lead to a file path ending with "WofCompressedData". I ran an antivirus scan yesterday with malwarebytes and am wondering if this could have caused it, however i've...
  9. add :WofCompressedData:$DATA at the end of a file name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    add :WofCompressedData:$DATA at the end of a file name: Hi, I had to recover some data from a lost partition, however using 2 different programs gave 2 different results. One works fine but it doesn't keep folder structure and file names wich become hard to handle, and the other ones seems to not recover them correctly. Since the...
  10. What is :WofCompressedData?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is :WofCompressedData?: I am trying to find out what WofCompressedData means. I have made two posts on answers.microsoft.com, but I've never gotten a clear answer (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...5-b9cb5982f7ce ; http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3-a0e92467be5d) A couple weeks ago,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wofcompresseddata

2. What is WofCompressedData

3. :Wofompressedata

4. wofcompresseddata in windows 10