Windows 10: WOL stopped working

Discus and support WOL stopped working in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, after running WOL for several month without any issues it suddenly stopped working. Windows quick start is disabled, WOL is enabled in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/HTP_ProXy, Nov 4, 2019.

1. WOL stopped working

Hello,

after running WOL for several month without any issues it suddenly stopped working. Windows quick start is disabled, WOL is enabled in the network card, but when sending a magic packet nothing happens. What is even more confusing: I cannot power down my system. It starts again after a few seconds, when quick start is disabled. I had no such issues in the last few months.

So I decided to reinstall windows 10, but the issues are the same. When quick start is disabled the system reboots after powering off, but refuses to wake up from standby. With quick start enabled I can shut down the system without any issues but the network card has no power then. And even from standby it won‘t start.

I didn‘t change anything, was there a windows update that could cause those issues?

submitted by /u/HTP_ProXy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/HTP_ProXy, Nov 4, 2019

2. WOL Stopped Working

My wife has a Packard Bell TJ68 laptop previously running Windows 7. I have a NAS which normally sleeps and the laptop send WOL packets to wake up the NAS when a user logs on.

When I upgraded to Windows 10 the sending of the WOL packets no longer works. It makes no difference whether I connect up a wired connection or use the wireless. I have tried from the commandline (Wolcmd) and various utilities.

I know WOL is working because a Linux Netbook wakes the NAS successfully as does my Windows 7 desktop.

It then dawned on me that maybe the identical problem with my sons Windows 8 HP laptop, which I had put down to different hardware (and he's had to live with) is actually related to Windows 8/10 not the hardware.

I've had windows update look for drivers but the fact that wired or wireless, two machines, neither work says that it's not drivers.

If I can't find a solution I'll have to go back to Windows 7. Just to be clear this is NOT a problem using WOL to wake up the laptop, this is the laptop failing to send WOL packets after upgrading to Windows 10.

nickcu1964, Nov 4, 2019
  3. WoL not working in Windows 10

Then check with RealTek and WoL as there is nothing in Windows stopping it.

Rob - SpiritX

SpiritX MS MVP, Nov 4, 2019
  4. 56Kruiser Win User

WOL stopped working

Laptop updated to 1809. Can't get WOL to send out...

Not sure the topic is exactly accurate. Here's the story:

• Have been successful sending WOL to 2 other PCs in the house
    • Had problems with laptop and sent to HP. They upgraded it to 1809
    • Now when I send WOL packets the other PCs will not wake up

Given that it was working fine on those PCs before, and the noted changes are to the PC sending the packet, I'm assuming that my sending PC needs something configured.

My searches on WOL only find stuff about setting it up on the remote PC so it will wake up.

Any suggestions about why my sending PC is not sending?

56Kruiser, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

WOL stopped working

1. WOL stopped working - Similar Threads - WOL stopped working

2. WOL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WOL: Can wake on LAN works when the windows 10 desktop is on recovery mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wol/25c521b3-4678-4286-8532-72f31cf588dd
  3. WOL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WOL: Can wake on LAN works when the windows 10 desktop is on recovery mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wol/25c521b3-4678-4286-8532-72f31cf588dd
  4. WOL

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. WOL not work on Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WOL not work on Win11: Hi,My laptopacer aspire Wake on LAN function works normally on Win10 and not work after upgrading to Win11. Wake on lan from S0ix is failed. I've tried everything i can do, ex: LAN related setting in device manager/BIOS setting...etc. and still not work!!Is this MSFT Win11...
  6. WOL not work on Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WOL not work on Win11: Hi,My laptopacer aspire Wake on LAN function works normally on Win10 and not work after upgrading to Win11. Wake on lan from S0ix is failed. I've tried everything i can do, ex: LAN related setting in device manager/BIOS setting...etc. and still not work!!Is this MSFT Win11...
  7. WOL suddently stopped working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    WOL suddently stopped working: So to start with I have been using Wake on Lan for a couple of years now. Recently I had to reinstall the bios for some reason. After that I turned the setting "Resume by PCI-E device" on again. Since this should be the option for WOL to work. So I assumed everything would...
  8. WOL over internet has stopped working?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WOL over internet has stopped working?: Helloooo r/windows10! hoping someone can point me in the right direction as i'm tearing my hair out. I've been using WOL to wake my PC from shutdown both on LAN and over the internet for 3-4 months and its all worked fine. I have the port forwarded in my router, I have a...
  9. Can't get WOL to work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't get WOL to work: In spite of the following I still can't get WOL to work: any suggestions please? Action taken:- 1. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper checked and Startup type set to ‘Automatic’. 2. Network and Sharing Center->Change adapter settings->network adapter->Properties->Internet Protocol...
  10. WOL not working

in Windows 10 Support
    WOL not working: Since installing windows 10 my WOL has stopped working, I'm fairly certain I have the same setup I used to have. Any advice ? 4583