Windows 10: Woman sues Microsoft for $10,000 over “forced” Windows 10 upgrade,

Discus and support Woman sues Microsoft for $10,000 over “forced” Windows 10 upgrade, in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In April 2015, just a few months before the public launch of Windows 10, Microsoft announced its ambition to have one billion machines running Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Sumit Dhiman, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Woman sues Microsoft for $10,000 over “forced” Windows 10 upgrade,

Read:
    Woman sues Microsoft for $10,000 over Windows 10 upgrade, wins

Sumit Dhiman, Jun 27, 2016

2. I am surprised, that does not happen more often, especially in US taking into an account, that MS is US company.
    They compensated her outside the court to avoid publicity and even more lawsuits, though this might help them.

:)

TairikuOkami, Jun 27, 2016
  3. Woman sues Microsoft for $10,000 over “forced” Windows 10 upgrade,

ThrashZone, Jun 27, 2016
  4. gtspeck Win User
    Yes, for the most part, some peoples attitudes are to look tor ways to sue. Sometimes I think that make their living suing. In this case the lady called Microsoft trying to fix the issue she was having with the upgrade and they dropped the ball. It's difficult enough for a small business to compete. They don't have the resources to afford an IT department. When they are shut down, income flow stops. *Think

gtspeck, Jun 27, 2016
  5. Faith Win User
    Crazy. This should easily be handled by a tech guy or gal from Microsoft to assist this woman to roll back her OS, nothing more. And it seems they failed on this department. But what is $10.000 to them? One salt cracker? I'm surprised that more people haven't tried to take legal action against Microsoft on this upgrade charade in the U.S, especially since Microsoft doesn't care to appeal. They want more people on Windows 10, and they want it to be hassle-free, but Microsoft should've realized that an aggressive upgrade tactic pluss teacup users rarely equals fun.

Faith, Jun 27, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
    While I agree that Microsoft's policy on upgrading everyone is a very bad move for them, any decent Tech Support person should have been able to fix the problem easily. But according to this article, (Woman wins lawsuit over unwanted Windows 10 installation | PC Gamer) She sued for loss of wages and a new PC. How absurd. It should have been easy to fix, but there is no way the upgrade ruined her PC.Just more suit crazy people. Microsoft didn't appeal because it would have cost them more in legal fees than the judgement did. That is a common decision made by large companies.

She also said she had never heard of Windows 10. How is that possible with all of the press, local news coverage not to mention the GWX pop ups on PCs. While the Law Suit, on its face, is ridiculous, MS must have been expecting a few of these. At least they should have. Just my opinion.

essenbe, Jun 27, 2016
  7. Doverboy Win User

Woman sues Microsoft for $10,000 over “forced” Windows 10 upgrade,

I am surprised MS did not appeal as it seems to set a dangerous precedent legally.

That the Plaintiff felt it necessary to use resources to sue MS instead of upgrading hardware or hire competent tech support speaks volumes about her mindset. Of course, a person running a travel company in 2016 is not exactly the most progressive business person around... As an independent business owner, I realize the importance of my tools and have dedicated countless hours to learning the technology we use to prevent catastrophic losses, including those sustained by Plaintiff. While I agree MS has been uncomfortably aggressive with forced upgrades, I nonetheless feel it is ultimately my responsibility to make sure my systems run as I need them.

Unfortunately, there are many folks with this mindset whom look to assign blame to others for their own shortcomings and are trigger-happy with civil litigation. Perhaps this is nothing for MS to worry about. Or it could be the tip of the iceberg...

Doverboy, Jun 27, 2016
  8. dmesal Win User
    i believe the closing the window tactic is where the MS mistake was, you are done for the day get MS popup and think no not now close window and go home oops left computer on during night the update begins come in next morning all is not well try to get help nada enough said, closing said window is something a scam ware company does.

dmesal, Jun 28, 2016
  9. Trust_No1 Win User
    All of those suggesting any Tech support person could easily resolve this, misses the point completely.

First, she didn't want the upgrade,
    Second, she didn't authorize the upgrade
    Third, she attempted to revert and it didn't go well
    Forth and the most important, she shouldn't have had to go through any of this in the first place.

Talking to Microsoft Tech support is one of my worst nightmares.
    Microsoft stepped all over her and every other person that is put in this same position. I have spent the last year trying to block this stupid upgrade, she deserves more than 10G in my opinion. I am trying to decide who I dislike the most politicians or Microsoft.

Trust_No1, Jun 30, 2016
  10. Good on this women for doing this. MS deserved this. Windows 10 should not of bothered people like it has and sat quietly as an 'optional' update under Windows updates.

Scottyboy99, Jun 30, 2016
  11. I agree with the folks that say that Tech Support is not the issue.

Why should she have had to pay possibly hundreds of dollars to get a PC "repaired" which the Win10 Upgrade "broke".

And don't say it didn't -- because I have two Win7 PCs that the Upgrade did exactly that to -- left them in such an unusable state that only a complete factory restore worked -- and, of course, that removed all of the apps and data -- with the latter being disastrous for a business.

She most likely had her updates set to "install automatically" which, after all, is the setting that Microsoft recommends -- so folks doing this are not STUPID, instead, they are only doing what Microsoft is telling them to do.

I just spent the last three days restoring a relative's Win7 PC that got Upgraded exactly this way -- so I can understand how she felt when this happened to her.

Mark Phelps, Jun 30, 2016
  12. RonCFL Win User

I like Wds 10 so much ...
    But I don't like the way MS force people to upgrade ...!

RonCFL, Jun 30, 2016
  13. What MS don't seem to understand is upgrading an OS is one of the most risky things. It has the potential to
    unsettle an otherwise well functioning machine. So it should never of been forced down our throats. If I really want Windows 10 I will wait till I get a new machine (which I did). Also Windows 10 whilst maintaining good compatibility may not work as well with certain software people want which is why many like to stay on 7. I know I disliked Windows 10 disabling securom running rendering many games circa 2002-2008 I own on disc useless. Plus Windows 10 is not mature, plenty of bugs and it's unpredictable. So there are a great many reasons the update should not of been forced on the unsuspecting public majority. I'd wager the main percentage of Windows users are casual and thus ignorant to the damage an upgrade could do. I take my hat off to this woman for having the courage to take them on and getting a degree of success

Scottyboy99, Jun 30, 2016
  14. Microsoft deserved to be sued. While I and 99.9% of people here can deal with the Windows 10 upgrade offer, it isn't right that Microsoft is forcing Windows 10 onto the PCs of users with zero technical know-how.

JimSputnik, Jul 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Woman sues Microsoft for $10,000 over “forced” Windows 10 upgrade, - Similar Threads - Woman sues Microsoft

2. Microsoft starts force-upgrading users to Windows 10 version 21H1

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft starts force-upgrading users to Windows 10 version 21H1: Microsoft’s Windows 10 May 2021 Update (version 21H1) has been around for two months now and it has been designated as a stable/safe update by the company. Starting this week, some device will be automatically updated to Windows 10 version 21H1 and users cannot skip the...
  3. Microsoft will begin force upgrading some Windows 10 users

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft will begin force upgrading some Windows 10 users: Microsoft has begun informing users that Windows 10 version 1903 is reaching the end of support next month and those still running the unsupported operating system will be force upgraded without their permission. Earlier this year, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 version...
  4. Windows 10 2004 "Forced Upgrade" Experience.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 2004 "Forced Upgrade" Experience.: Upon rebooting Window 19-I was walked through a fresh Windows install which I presume is a forced 2004 upgrade. There was no provision to return to the previous version provided when I checked update and recovery. I have completely lost access to Bluetooth. The download...
  5. Forced Windows 10 Upgrades

Forced Windows 10 Upgrades: I wrote the following in the previous post: Windows forced Upgrades I am on the previous release preceding 1909. Why haven't I upgraded? I have a Gigabyte G.1.Assasin2 - 32Gig RAM 1st - I have upgraded to 1909 two different times! 2nd - when I do instal 1909, A, MS Edge...
  6. User account .000 after upgrade to 1909

User account .000 after upgrade to 1909: After upgrading to Windows 10 1909, my account admin was renamed to admin.000 and a new admin user was added. What the heck being polite. How do I get my "stuff" from the .000 into the new account?...
  7. I plan to sue Microsoft Corporation

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I plan to sue Microsoft Corporation: If the only way to get attention from a human being at Microsoft Corporation is by filing a lawsuit in small claims court, that is exactly what I plan to do. It does not matter to me whether I win the lawsuit or not; I simply need to draw public attention to the fact that a...
  8. Forcing Windows 10 to prefer IPv6 over IPv4

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Forcing Windows 10 to prefer IPv6 over IPv4: With the ongoing transition to IPv6 away from IPv4, I've been moving my home network over to native IPv6 - successfully for the most part (I run a full dual-stack setup with /64 prefixes without issue to the Internet too). However, I've noticed that with my two computers -...
  9. Win10 forced upgrade taking over 24 hours

Win10 forced upgrade taking over 24 hours: Hi all. MS apparently decided to upgrade my wife's comp from Win7 to 10 sometime in the early morning hours yesterday. Been on the black upgrading screen ever since - the upgrade is going along, but it's only at 25% (copying files is at 84%) and it's been about 24 hours now....
  10. Microsoft Forces the Windows 10 Upgrade on Windows 7 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Forces the Windows 10 Upgrade on Windows 7 PCs: The upgrade is automatically initiated at system reboot Microsoft’s offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade to those on Windows 7 and 8.1, and an update that was released on June 1 is supposed to offer a direct way to move to the new operating system. Initially, this...