Windows 10: Wonderful Microsoft

Discus and support Wonderful Microsoft in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just so others might do something stupid like I have. I have several machines and one is a small laptop that came as a 7 downgrade from 8 and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ICIT2LOL, Apr 23, 2017.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Wonderful Microsoft

Just so others might do something stupid like I have.

I have several machines and one is a small laptop that came as a 7 downgrade from 8 and I thought I would buy an OEM to try 10 out on another drive. So I wen ahead and installed the OEM onto the new drive and well have got quite to like 10 now and thought may as well dual boot the machine.
    Well I swap back in the 7 install drive and dual booted after finding out that because my machine has already had 8 Pro installed on it I was entitled to install 10 from an ISO because the machine had that privilege.

Now after having problems with my main desktop as I said I clean installed 7 using the OEM key for it and thought maybe I could use the 10 OEM to dual boot it as well because it is so handy to have both systems on board.

So I thought I would do the right thing and check with Microsoft and see if I could use the OEM in this circumstance only to find the call centre in heaven knows where that is that they would not allow me to use the 10 OEM key on this machine. In effect I now have a $240 10 OEM DVD that anyone who wants it for a coaster can reply back to me here.

Thanks Microsoft for everything*Think

:)

ICIT2LOL, Apr 23, 2017

2. iwas wondering....

Will I get a product key, can I get a product key?

By default, Windows 10 builds are pre-keyed, meaning, you do not have to enter a product key and should not be prompted to enter one even after Windows 10 has completed setup.

How to troubleshoot Product Activation in Windows 10

Microsoft tells me that it will be possible to do so. And that a key part of this process is that it will save a product key tied to the previously upgraded PC or device in Windows Store. This is how Windows 10 will later know that the install is allowed:
    It’s “one of the benefits of the new delivery system,” a Microsoft representative told me.

Source:
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/3898/a-few-more-answers-about-windows-10-upgrades

Will ISO media be provided for the final release?

Yes, you will be able to download ISO media for Windows 10 RTM.

Please note, you might have to download the appropriate edition of Windows 10 for the version/edition of Windows you are upgrading. If you upgrade to the wrong edition, ie. Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Pro, you will have to purchase a license
    for Windows 10 Pro or go back to Windows 7 Home Premium and upgrade to Windows
    10 Home.

What
    are the editions of Windows 10 available?

Suppose I need to reinstall Windows 10 after one or two years from now or I install a new hard disk?

Windows 10 is registered to the device, not your hard disk. Just install a new hard disk and reinstall Windows 10 and it will reactivate.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 23, 2017
  3. iwas wondering....

I was wondering, will you need a "product key" for the download of Windows 10? I have a rent to own computer that has windows 8.1 on it and I was wondering.....I do intend to purchase the computer , but there was nothing with the "product key"....I have
    hit the logo and HOPEFULLY reserved my copy..... thanks for any help or answers!

teddy55&66, Apr 23, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Wonderful Microsoft

Yep, Microsoft is still upgrading Windows 7 and 8 to 10 for free!

NavyLCDR, Apr 23, 2017
  5. Just to make matters worse,here in Brisbane,the price of Win 10 dvd is around $150.

joeandmarg0, Apr 23, 2017
  6. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yep thanks Navy but I don't want to upgrade I just want to dual boot this machine and to add injury to injustice not only did I get treated like some criminal off the street but my Asus Xonar sound card driver comes in a zip with some hell awful Winzip RAR program that I cannot for the life of me get to work out how to install that driver for 7 or 10.

Am thoroughly fed up with this constant bombardment of convoluted info*Mad

ICIT2LOL, Apr 23, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    OEM versions were always "Yes, No, Maybe, Eventually" proposition. Subject to good will of somebody at MS. I have seen OEM versions go thru without a hitch but also troubles with Retail versions after 2 or 3 re-installs.
    As far as I know only in Germany OEM and Retail versions have to be treated equally, by law.

CountMike, Apr 23, 2017
  8. ICIT2LOL Win User

Wonderful Microsoft

Well Mike I have no truck with M$ anymore they have proved yet again what a greedy bunch they are, and as i said in the 7 forum I do hope they enjoy the $230 worth of nice red they will get now on me *sarc*sarc

ICIT2LOL, Apr 23, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    According to the EULA - at least in the United States you are not supposed to be using the OEM System Builder's license for Windows 10 personal use anyway. It is for - guess who - SYSTEM BUILDERS - that are putting together the computer to sell it. My sympathy meter is pegged low.

NavyLCDR, Apr 23, 2017
  10. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Oh well this is what I bought out here and I see it is cheaper now*sarc https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...-64bit-oem-dvd

Anyway I have given up on the dual boot for this machine because I remember at the time there was all that furore re privacy etc I didn't "register" with them for 10 and kept everything blocked that had anything to do with 10.

My mistake was not realising that the laptop which is dual booted now did have a right of passage to 10 and in my rush I just flipped in a new drive and installed it. It still sits in a drawer in my computer clutter room.

So I have completely (almost) reinstalled 7 back on Ivy and will keep it hat way I have 10 on my Sandy anyway.

Personally I think when M$ started putting support call centres off shore form Oz and the US I am guessing the folks who used to work for them had very different views, morals, ethics and understanding were put out of work. I do know back then I had no trouble getting permission to use OEM's on another board because the old one had died in fact they almost fell over themselves trying to help.
    Plus another case in point is I bought the retail 2010 Home and Student Office suite which I used on two machines and had no issues with being allowed to install/activate l it again after having to reinstall those machine for one reason or another and the last time was again through one of their wretched call centres who denied me the use of it again.
    I mean a 2010 copy I just cannot see what the hell difference it would make to them as I only use it infrequently but they want us now to have the latest version and like Outlook.com email charge us to buy it plus so much pr year.
    Well I use LibreOffice and outlook.live.com and in the latter just ignore the adverts it that falls in heap I shall go Thunderbird and they can shove their "brilliant programs" wherever they like preferably where the sun doesn't shine.

I have said it before after supporting Microsoft over many years to ask for such trivial things as I have I have no liking or respect for Microsoft or the people behind it. They are greedy and avaricious to the Nth degree.
    I believe in Karma and just hope one day what goes around comes around because right now I would want a free key for 10 if they even offered it to me. *Mad

ICIT2LOL, Apr 24, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yeah, it really sucks when a corporation wants to make profit of all things, doesn't it? By goodness, they should be giving Windows 10 away for free! Oh....wait..... they are.

NavyLCDR, Apr 24, 2017
  12. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Funny you know I just tried buying a copy off EBay just to see what came up for $10.98 and this character set the download site and that original key it first went out with the one that ends *****-*****-*****-DV773-PYT6T and he reckons he buys the keys at wholesale prices from Microsoft LOL!!

But jokes aside I do still resent them doing that to me because all he had to do was ask for the key and see how many tims it ha been activated and common sense might have kicked in - if there is such a thing anymore.

Anyhow I downloaded that link and thought no I already have that ISO so stopped it and wrecked the 7 install so have had to start all over again - some silly old buggers never learn eh??

At least Kaspersky has always let me activate without question on clean installs and he is a Russian business man if that goes anyway to answering my rant.

ICIT2LOL, Apr 24, 2017
  13. CountMike New Member

Wonderful Microsoft

With W10, MS has turned activation Topsy-turvy but Retail version is still best way to go specially now when you wouldn't have to by new one for years to come. I'm already on my third MB and W10 that I got as free upgrade from W8/8.1 which was bought at time when it was greatly discounted as an upgrade from W7. All activation went thru without a hitch and W7 that I had was a gift from local MS office for some non-IT services rendered. All together, this OS has cost me about 14 bucks all told. Office 2013 was bought for me by a customer (a print shop) to do some work for them during 6 month so that payed of handsomely too.
    I may be a lousy salesman but I'm great buyer. Most companies I worked for gave me open account to buy anything for maintenance and production, saved them a lot of money.

CountMike, Apr 24, 2017
  14. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yep I should have in hindsight Mike registered this machine with that upgrade stuff though I think I would have only got Home not the Pro as I use Home Premium on most of the machines I've built.
    No worries if that EBay deal is rubbish not much lost and I shall report to EBay if it goes south and I certainly will not be using this drive - just a spare 250GB I will do a quick 7 install then make a partition for the 10 and install on it and see what happens probably nothing but have got to have something to play with*Huh

ICIT2LOL, Apr 24, 2017
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

in EEA and EU countries (and others I suppose must have a similar consumer protection Law) is that if you pay with a CREDIT CARD for goods AND SERVICES they must be fit for purpose and do what they are supposed to do.

You should be able to get the money returned back to your card -- and by law - at least here - the BANK must refund the card even if the original seller can't or wont.

I know a lot of people are dubious about using Credit Cards for online purchases but using them safely gives you quite a decent amount of protection.

Note the same protection does NOT apply to debit cards -- always amazing how the laws always seem to benefit the better off (I assume that in general the poorer members of society don't have or use Credit cards !!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 24, 2017
Thema:

Wonderful Microsoft

1. Wonderful Microsoft - Similar Threads - Wonderful Microsoft

2. I received 2 emails from Microsoft, I wonder if they are scam mails.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I received 2 emails from Microsoft, I wonder if they are scam mails.: hello. I recently received 2 emails from Microsoft.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Microsoft Customer Service <*** Email address...
  3. I received 2 emails from Microsoft, I wonder if they are scam mails.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I received 2 emails from Microsoft, I wonder if they are scam mails.: hello. I recently received 2 emails from Microsoft.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Microsoft Customer Service <*** Email address...
  4. I just wonder why Microsoft hates its customers. We've made Gates a multi-billionaire, why...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I just wonder why Microsoft hates its customers. We've made Gates a multi-billionaire, why...: Onedrive steals my files and puts them on the internet. If I try to get them back, it threatens to delete them from all my devices. It's not optional, I've tried to get rid of it, but it always comes back. I have a 512Gb SSD. I don't need your crappy 5Gb, but you steal my...
  5. I just wonder why Microsoft hates its customers. We've made Gates a multi-billionaire, why...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just wonder why Microsoft hates its customers. We've made Gates a multi-billionaire, why...: Onedrive steals my files and puts them on the internet. If I try to get them back, it threatens to delete them from all my devices. It's not optional, I've tried to get rid of it, but it always comes back. I have a 512Gb SSD. I don't need your crappy 5Gb, but you steal my...
  6. I just wonder why Microsoft hates its customers. We've made Gates a multi-billionaire, why...

7. One more person wondering why Microsoft refuses to fix the "100% disk usage" problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One more person wondering why Microsoft refuses to fix the "100% disk usage" problem.: I've had this problem for years over multiple computers. No moderator has ever given me a fix that fixes it. Lots of other people have the same problem. Why, moderators, will Microsoft not fix this problem?...
  8. One more person wondering why Microsoft refuses to fix the "100% disk usage" problem.

One more person wondering why Microsoft refuses to fix the "100% disk usage" problem.: I've had this problem for years over multiple computers. No moderator has ever given me a fix that fixes it. Lots of other people have the same problem. Why, moderators, will Microsoft not fix this problem?...
  9. One more person wondering why Microsoft refuses to fix the "100% disk usage" problem.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. I was wondering if Microsoft offers work experience for year 10 students in London. Thank...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I was wondering if Microsoft offers work experience for year 10 students in London. Thank...: My son is 15 years old and in year 10. He is currently studying computer science and business studies as his GCSE's. I was wondering if Microsoft offers work experience in London for year 10 students. Thank you in advance....