Windows 10: Wondering why is memory usage at 6.7 GB even when no programs are open? Thanks

Discus and support Wondering why is memory usage at 6.7 GB even when no programs are open? Thanks in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I bought a new PC in 2021. Processor: IntelR CoreTM i5-10500 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz Installed RAM: 24.0 GB 23.8 GB usable initially it was 8 GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MonkseeTheMonk, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Wondering why is memory usage at 6.7 GB even when no programs are open? Thanks

Hello, I bought a new PC in 2021. Processor: IntelR CoreTM i5-10500 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz Installed RAM: 24.0 GB 23.8 GB usable initially it was 8 GB but I installed an extra 16 GB I upgraded to Windows 11 a few months ago. I think Windows 11 is great but I'm just curious about the RAM usage. It seems to be using around 6.7 GB of RAM even when no programs are open see attached image. Is this normal that it would use so much RAM even when nothing is open? Is this something to do with windows 11 or is it normal for any version of windows I never really checked before on previou

:)

MonkseeTheMonk, Mar 2, 2024

2. 6 GB memory usage on Windows 10 with no programs open

When I was using Windows 7, my laptop would only use around 1-1.5 GB of RAM with no open programs.

Since updating to Windows 10, it is now using over 6 GB (out of 8 GB total) of memory with nothing open, and when I start opening a few programs, memory usage reaches 90-95% and everything slows down.

Here are some screenshots of Resource Monitor's memory tab with no programs open:
    1 2 3

Unlike this question, though, "Paged pool" and "Non-paged pool" memory usage in task manager are both low (252 MB and 304 MB).

What can I do to diagnose this issue?

user968144, Mar 2, 2024
  3. Runaway memory usage

On your suggestion I went to uninstall AVG. It offered to go into an on-demand mode (I can't remember the word it used to describe).
    So I tried that instead of uninstalling. Upon reboot everything seemed unchanged. High CPU usage, memory growth, no good.

So I ran the uninstall. This moved along step by step ... until the last step (titled: replacing files) never completed. It left behind a bunch of its stuff in Program Files:
    Code:
    So I have a bunch of leftover crap ... which I'll probably just delete.

Anyway, after rebooting it seems that all is well. CPU usage is near zero. The fans are quiet. (Computer fans, not football fans!) *chuckle

Thanks for the quick reply.

margrave55, Mar 2, 2024
  4. Wondering why is memory usage at 6.7 GB even when no programs are open? Thanks

Memory usage is excessively high while no programs are open

I've been dealing with this issue for about a month now... Basically, my memory usage is very high (92% or so) while I have no programs open. I assume this is due to Windows background processes, but I am afraid to end one of them in case I mess something up. I have 6 GB of RAM on my laptop, and didn't have this problem before. Here is a screenshot of the Resource Monitor when I have nothing open (except the resource monitor, of course):

Wondering why is memory usage at 6.7 GB even when no programs are open? Thanks 94848d1485970334t-memory-usage-excessively-high-while-no-programs-open-ram1.png

Thanks for any help, my computer is running like a brick..

Windows 10 User, Mar 2, 2024
Thema:

Wondering why is memory usage at 6.7 GB even when no programs are open? Thanks

1. Wondering why is memory usage at 6.7 GB even when no programs are open? Thanks - Similar Threads - Wondering why memory

2. Wondering why is memory usage at 6.7 GB even when no programs are open? Thanks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wondering why is memory usage at 6.7 GB even when no programs are open? Thanks: Hello, I bought a new PC in 2021. Processor: IntelR CoreTM i5-10500 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz Installed RAM: 24.0 GB 23.8 GB usable initially it was 8 GB but I installed an extra 16 GB I upgraded to Windows 11 a few months ago. I think Windows 11 is great but I'm just curious...
  3. Why is my memory go to 3 gb to 131 gb???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my memory go to 3 gb to 131 gb???: After 2 days later, I checked the memory then I see "Apps & features" now go to 3 gb to 131 gb! How do i fix this???This is the proof: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-memory-go-to-3-gb-to-131-gb/18279199-5113-4fbf-80b9-9bea9548a7ea
  4. Why is my memory go to 3 gb to 131 gb???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my memory go to 3 gb to 131 gb???: After 2 days later, I checked the memory then I see "Apps & features" now go to 3 gb to 131 gb! How do i fix this??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-memory-go-to-3-gb-to-131-gb/18279199-5113-4fbf-80b9-9bea9548a7ea
  5. 7 GB of ram usage with no with applications running

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    7 GB of ram usage with no with applications running: My System • Windows 10 Home • 32GB ram • GTX 1050 ti GPU • MVNe m.2 system drive • 4 Sata drives 2-4tb • 6 USB drives 2-4tb System debloated and optimized for performance CPU near zero at idle. System is very responsive. Question: 7 GB of ram usage with no with applications...
  6. Very high memory usage, no programs open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Very high memory usage, no programs open: Task manager claims that 95% or more of my ram is being used, but the values for each program adds up to under a gigabyte. Any help? submitted by /u/Currall04 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gv9fos/very_high_memory_usage_no_programs_open/
  7. How is this memory usage even possible?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How is this memory usage even possible?: Hi, How is it possible that I have 88% memory usage with no programs running? [img] I thought it could be caused by memory leaks, but after a fresh boot it is the same. This an 8 GB machine, how can "nothing" occupy 88%? This has been happening periodically with this...
  8. High CPU and memory usage on few programs open.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU and memory usage on few programs open.: I recently bought a surface laptop 2 on Christmas and ever since I got it, my laptop has been constantly freezing and have received a few BSoDs as well. I checked my task manager to see what was going on and noticed that the "system" process has an average of 10-13% of CPU...
  9. Windows complains it's running out of memory with 6 GB free

Windows complains it's running out of memory with 6 GB free: My PC has 16 GB which I think should be enough to run a game and a video editing program concurrently but Windows complains it's running out of memory anyway with 6 GB free. I'm not making Pixar animations so I don't want to hear about how studio machines have 128 GB of...
  10. Memory usage is excessively high while no programs are open

Memory usage is excessively high while no programs are open: I've been dealing with this issue for about a month now... Basically, my memory usage is very high (92% or so) while I have no programs open. I assume this is due to Windows background processes, but I am afraid to end one of them in case I mess something up. I have 6 GB of...