Windows 10: Won't book, won't post

Discus and support Won't book, won't post in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I have problems I came to my pc today, and it wouldn't boot. After numerous attempts, and failure to enter the BIOS, I was shown the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by johnwillyums, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Won't book, won't post

Hi. I have problems
    I came to my pc today, and it wouldn't boot. After numerous attempts, and failure to enter the BIOS, I was shown the refresh/repair /reset page.
    I tried refresh, that did not resolve the issue.
    After a few more attempts to boot, I got that choice screen again (don't know how to bring it up myself) .
    This time I tried repair, that process took some time, but failed.
    I was also given a restore choice. I tried that, and it should have restored me to before I installed Lightroom. That didn't work either.
    Now I can't boot, the BIOS screen doesn't even display 90% of the time, and when it does I cannot enter it.

I'm totally stuck, help!

:)

johnwillyums, Nov 17, 2014

2. Quickbooks Won't Work after Windows 10 Restart

quick books won't start after windows 10 update.

DonaldBulley, Nov 17, 2014
  3. Fresh Paint in-app purchase

My in-app coloring books won't open....and are there any new ones?

RebeccaMikolajczak, Nov 17, 2014
  4. usasma Win User

Won't book, won't post

You cannot enter the BIOS? That sounds like a hardware failure to me.
    Could you explain a bit more about that? I had a Sony AIO (All In One) system yesterday that wouldn't enter the UEFI, and it was actually because of a bad HDD.

Have you run hardware diagnostics? That may be difficult if it's not accessing the UEFI and you can't boot into Windows.
    If that's the case, try disconnecting the hard drive (both cables) and see if that makes things a bit better. Be sure that the system is turned off and unplugged from the wall when doing this - also, take anti-static precautions while fiddling around inside the case.

Here's some suggestions on how to troubleshoot hardware by using a stripdown process: Hardware Stripdown Troubleshooting

usasma, Nov 17, 2014
  5. Hi. When the splash screen comes up, which is every few times it attempts to boot, I press delete, f12, end.
    These are all keys which should get me into the BIOS, but they don't. The machine just powers off, and tries again.
    I have a Gigabyte motherboard, which has a dual BIOS (?). The machine sometimes makes it to this dual BIOS uefi page, but powers off almost immediately. The screen is blank apart from the header.
    Everything was fine earlier.
    What do you suggest? I was going to try fresh install of W10 or W7 HP, but this is impossible without the BIOS.

johnwillyums, Nov 17, 2014
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    Open up the machine and disconnect ALL the HDD's and then see if you can get into the BIOS.

Note -- the CMOS battery might also have gone - change that if it's defective.

You can also remove all the memory sticks -- just keep keyboard and monitor connected -- even with 0K RAM connected - i.e all the memory removed you should still be able to see the BIOS POST screen.

Then start replacing the memory modules and re-connect the HDD's (one at a time and see if you still get into the BIOS).

There might be a "recover BIOS or use Alternate" option in the machine -- I can't say I've ever sees a mobo with TWO bioses's. !! Your mobo documentation should tell you how to "flip" the primary BIOs or recover it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 18, 2014
  7. usasma Win User
    The fact that it powers off almost immediately is a clue (IMO)
    First check to be sure that the CPU cooler is firmly mounted to the CPU - and that the CPU fan is working (make sure that the cooler isn't blocked either).

There's also lot's of problems that have been reported with this mobo: https://www.google.com/search?q=Giga...s+down+at+boot

I believe it's the "Del" key to get into the UEFI
    From what I read, if you press F1 in the Dual BIOS screen, that'll return you to the regular UEFI screen.

usasma, Nov 18, 2014
  8. Won't book, won't post

Hi, thanks to you both for your input.
    I've tried cleaning the cooling fan assembly, and also disconnecting beds and RAM, in various combinations
    No difference I'm afraid. In fact I've made the situation worse somehow.
    There is no longer any attempt to post. Nothing happens on screen. When I try to start, the PSU starts, the case fans, and cooler all start, and then stop almost immediately.
    I thought the PSU had failed, but I had replaced the front switch headers incorrectly. They are now on the right pins but no post
    So, I'm not getting anywhere near the BIOS, whereas I was getting the splash screen before.
    This is turning into a disaster :-(

johnwillyums, Nov 18, 2014
  9. Hi. I've replaced the cmos battery.
    This gave me a brief hope, as it now tries to post for longer. Everything starts, fans etc.
    Still nothing on screen though, so I'm nowhere near the BIOS :-(

johnwillyums, Nov 18, 2014
  10. usasma Win User
    Try posting over here: Drivers & Hardware
    They'll probably have more hardware experience than I do.
    Good luck!

usasma, Nov 19, 2014
  11. dencal Win User
    Have you got an install disc? if so insert, then click on computer repair, open command prompt and type.
    bootrec /rebuild then reboot computer.
    If you do not have an install disc you can get the advanced menu by doing the following,
    Start computer, then holding down the shift key restart the computer.

dencal, Nov 19, 2014
  12. CountMike New Member
    He can't get to there !!!

CountMike, Nov 20, 2014
  13. dencal Win User

Won't book, won't post

He can't get to there !!! Do read his original post again, I quote....After a few more attempts to boot, I got that choice screen again (don't know how to bring it up myself) .

dencal, Nov 20, 2014
  14. CountMike New Member
    He can't get to there !!! Do read his original post again, I quote....After a few more attempts to boot, I got that choice screen again (don't know how to bring it up myself) . "Now I can't boot, the BIOS screen doesn't even display 90% of the time, and when it does I cannot enter it. "

CountMike, Nov 20, 2014
  15. topgundcp Win User
    I suggest that you should try to boot the PC with minimum configuration ie. disconnect everything except the Video Card, RAM and one boot disk and also double check:
    • Your Video card 260GTX requires 2 6-pin power cables connected. If not, you'll get no video.
    • reseat the RAM. If RAM is loosely seated or bad, you'll also get no video.
    • Physically inspect the CPU heat sink to make sure it is tightly connected to the CPU. If not tightly connected, the PC will shutdown immediately after a few seconds.
    • If your MB came with dual BIOS then there should be a switch on the MB. Try using the other BIOS.

If still cannot boot. To make sure there's no short in the case, You might have take out the MB from the case and try again.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Won't book, won't post

1. Won't book, won't post - Similar Threads - Won't book won't

2. Windows 11, Pocketbible won't download books

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, Pocketbible won't download books: I have windows 11. I also have the Pocketbible app from Laridan. It worked fine on windows 10 but since I updated to windows 11, my books will not install. They just sit there and say that they are installing but nothing happens. Pocketbible support told me to allow apps to...
  3. Windows 11, Pocketbible won't download books

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11, Pocketbible won't download books: I have windows 11. I also have the Pocketbible app from Laridan. It worked fine on windows 10 but since I updated to windows 11, my books will not install. They just sit there and say that they are installing but nothing happens. Pocketbible support told me to allow apps to...
  4. My pc won't post

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc won't post: My pc won't turn on but my cpu and gpu fans are spinning with no signal on monitor Things i tried1- reset cmos battery 2- cleaning and reseat ram3- cleaning and reseat gpuhttps://youtube.com/shorts/FDJLd8P0rJw?feature=share...
  5. My pc won't post

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc won't post: My pc won't turn on but my cpu and gpu fans are spinning with no signal on monitor Things i tried1- reset cmos battery 2- cleaning and reseat ram3- cleaning and reseat gpuhttps://youtube.com/shorts/FDJLd8P0rJw?feature=share...
  6. My pc won't post

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Black screen, Now PC won't post.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen, Now PC won't post.: B450 Tomahawk Max Ryzen 5 3600x GTX 1660 Super Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3200mhz Getting red CPU LED on motherboard. Have reseated RAM and CPU. Have also Removed CMOS battery Was having problems before with my PC BSOD, won't post I got new RAM and installed a...
  8. MSI GS63 won't post (randomly)

in Windows 10 Support
    MSI GS63 won't post (randomly): I will reboot my laptop and then when it's JUST about to turn off to reboot, it sticks there doing nothing. It never even makes it to turning off to post again. This happens randomly. Anyone have any idea what this is? I've ran all the tests that I can think of to see if...
  9. Surface Book 2 won't Power-On

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Surface Book 2 won't Power-On: Surface Book 2 using MS docking connection with external monitor won't come back after sleep. I have to do a hard reboot after disconnection docking connection. Is there a fix for this condition?...
  10. Windows Installation won't post after restart.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Installation won't post after restart.: Decided to upgrade computer and got new memory, PSU, videocard, motherboard and CPU. Went and installed windows 10 on old ssd after wiping it and install went all the way to the restarting PC in 10 seconds. It would restart but nothing on the screen. Things I have tried: 1....