Windows 10: Won't Boot after Update: Black Screen w. Pointer: Tried Everything!

Discus and support Won't Boot after Update: Black Screen w. Pointer: Tried Everything! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have been trying for two weeks now to bring back my Windows machine after Windows Update apparently broke something *Sad Windows starts to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by richaardvark, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Won't Boot after Update: Black Screen w. Pointer: Tried Everything!

Hello,
    I have been trying for two weeks now to bring back my Windows machine after Windows Update apparently broke something *Sad Windows starts to boot but the log in screen or welcome screen never appear, instead there is just a lack screen with a white mouse pointer arrow. Control-Alt-Del does nothing, nor does Win+Ctrl+Shift+B, nor Ctrl+Shift+Esc. If I click the mouse the little blue spinning circle "thinking" indicator appears for a few moments and then goes away.
    I thought at first I had destroyed my boot partition (UEFI) and used multiple tools to rebuild/repair this, but the fact that I am booting into at least a minimal Windows UI (with the pointer and spinning blue "thinking" circle) makes me think that my boot partition is not the issue at this point.
    I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun/everything I can think of/everything I've found online and have gotten nowhere. I can't even perform a repair upgrade *Sad I refuse to fresh install - I need all of my installed applications, customizations, and user data intact, as it is. My system details, what I've tried, etc. are provided below. I would be so grateful if someone had any additional helpful ideas or any advice for my situation. Thank you!
    System Details:
    • Dell Latitude 11 5175
    • 6th Generation Intel Core m5-6 Y57 Processor
    • 4 GB LPDDR3 Memory
    • Windows 10 Education (I have looked everywhere for the build number, but it seems nearly impossible to pull from Linux/the drive without being able to access the registry or run certain System .exe files)
    • GPT / UEFI hard drive partition scheme
    What I have Tried:
    • I thought at first it was a boot drive issue and tried all sorts of things for this, including:
      • Using tools such as WinPE and Macrium Reflect, BootICE
      • Command line tools such as bcdboot, bootrec, diskpart (deleted boot partition and made a fresh one)
      • Using Windows Installation Disk/Recovery Environment
        • Startup Repair attempts repairs and then either errors out and says it couldn't complete repairs or says it completed successfully and to reboot but there is no change
        • Uninstall Updates - doesn't work
        • Startup Settings - Missing - Can't Boot into Safe Mode
        • New Install/Repair Upgrade - not available. Shows that there is an existing Windows installation but refuses to offer "repair in place" (keep files and applications) option.

• I have also tried to manually roll-back windows update changes using the Dism command-line tool but when I try to remove an update it says the file path is not valid:

Won't Boot after Update: Black Screen w. Pointer: Tried Everything! [​IMG]

This program (Zinstall Migration Kit Pro) seems like it would work miracles and allow me to fresh install and then migrate all existing applications and user data/settings, but it costs a bajillion dollars and I am currently unemployed, disabled, and under the gun to repair four years worth of income taxes before I lose my home but all of my data / Microsoft Office is on this machine that won't boot.

If someone could please help I would be most-grateful. Thank you!

:)

richaardvark, Feb 4, 2021
  2. CodeSh33p Win User

Black Screen on Boot

My pc has dumped while working in Unity and won`t boot properly anymore. All it does is showing me a black screen with a loading circle followed by a complete black screen with nothing. I can`t even see the login screen. I tried various shortcuts and methods
    but nothing helped. Here are my observations and some information.

• I don`t have an onboard graphics card
    • I can boot up secure mode without a problem
    • I can boot into uefi without a problem
    • I can boot into windows repair screen and interact there without a problem
    • I can boot into grub from an linux dist on my usb Stick but when i trz to boot into linux the same problem occurres
    • it is possible though to boot into linux compatible version
    • Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B on black screen (nothing happened)

• Ctrl + Shift + ESC to open taskmanager on black screen(nothing happened)
    • i`ve tried uninstalling and installing a fresh version of my graphics card driver but the black screen is still apearing
    • i`ve checked whether my windows installation or my disk is damage but both are fine
    • i`ve tried to perform a clean boot but it is also not working
    • i`ve tried to repair windows with an windows image on my usb stick but it resulted in the same problem midway through it
    I thought my graphics card is broken but than again why is it booting into secure mode at all?

CodeSh33p, Feb 4, 2021
  3. Dyan Rey Win User
    Laptop went black and won;t reboot

Hi Andree,

Hardware and software conflict is one of the possible reasons why you're experiencing black screen. Sometimes, it is also because of hardware failure. To get this issue fixed, we suggest that you
    boot into Safe Mode by following these steps:

• Turn off your computer 3 times while booting. Windows should automatically boot to the Recovery Environment after 3 unsuccessful attempts in a row.
    • Once you are within the Recovery Environment, select Troubleshoot, and then
      Advanced options, then Startup Settings, and
      Restart
      . When it restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for
      Safe Mode with Networking.
    Once your computer is in Safe Mode, please follow the workaround provided on this
    link. Simply select the similar case that you're experiencing to show the troubleshooting steps.

Let us know how it works.

Dyan Rey, Feb 4, 2021
  4. Won't Boot after Update: Black Screen w. Pointer: Tried Everything!

Black Screen with Pointer

Hi Costa,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community. We will surely help you with simple steps to resolve your issue.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Is the black screen with courser appears after login or before login?

• Did you make any changes to the computer, prior to the issue?
    I suggest you to refer to the below link where the same type of issue had been discussed, refer to the suggestion given by
    Sharath Srinivasa on August 7, 2015.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

Won't Boot after Update: Black Screen w. Pointer: Tried Everything!

1. Won't Boot after Update: Black Screen w. Pointer: Tried Everything! - Similar Threads - Won't Boot Update

2. Black screen after trying to boot in bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after trying to boot in bios: So i tried booting in bios by pressing del didn't work so i searched and someone said to run "msconfig" then go to boot tab after that select network under safeboot that apply ,click ok and restart. Now it powers on but no signal, any help would be appreciated....
  3. Black screen after trying to boot in bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after trying to boot in bios: So i tried booting in bios by pressing del didn't work so i searched and someone said to run "msconfig" then go to boot tab after that select network under safeboot that apply ,click ok and restart. Now it powers on but no signal, any help would be appreciated....
  4. Black screen after trying to boot in bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Black screen of death, I've tried everything!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen of death, I've tried everything!!: Hi,I seem to be getting a black screen of death whenever I install my graphics drivers for my RX 570 8GB. I'm really confused as I haven't had a graphics card issue before. I have tried resetting my PC, formatting my SSD, removing all other drives, reinstalling a fresh copy...
  6. long boot time, w/black screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    long boot time, w/black screen: this is in regards to my Lenovo laptop (which lve added specs to on my profile) recently upgraded to the 2004 feature update OS build 19041-450, now granted prior to this my system was slow to start, ended up turning off fastboot which sped things up slightly (as l did have a...
  7. Windows boots to black screen w/ no cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots to black screen w/ no cursor: I just plugged in a new monitor, and the monitor shows the boot screen, then just shows a black screen, I looked it up on YouTube, and they all said to press Ctrl+alt+del, open task manager, I do somethi g else, but i cant open tadk manager either. Ive restarted my computer,...
  8. Computer won't boot, tried everything.

Computer won't boot, tried everything.: I had my pc for 9 years. Its a Dell, and I upgraded it to Windows 10 a year ago. It was working perfectly until three days ago. The computer started making noices, probably the fan, so I descided to shut it off. When I turned it on the computer won't boot. After few...
  9. Black screen no boot no sounds. I've tried almost everything.

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen no boot no sounds. I've tried almost everything.: I have an HP Pavilion dv7 3169-wm entertainment laptop. It's several years old. I upgraded to Windows 10 shortly before my problem began. After upgrading everything was incredibly slow and often the computer just froze. A few days later it started working a little better...
  10. Black screen - Not booting (After trying to reset)

Black screen - Not booting (After trying to reset): Hi! I was trying to reset my computer the other day. During the reset it failed, showing the following error description: "There was a problem resetting your PC". Nothing more. It returned me to the troubleshooting menu, so that I could try again. It wouldn't work no matter...