Windows 10: Word 2016 hangs at saving file

Discus and support Word 2016 hangs at saving file in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hello guys! I have Windows 10 build 1703 and Office 2016 x64 installed on it. When I try to save or print any Word file it hangs. When I... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by r1sh, Jun 27, 2017.

1. r1sh Win User

Word 2016 hangs at saving file

Hello guys!

I have Windows 10 build 1703 and Office 2016 x64 installed on it.

When I try to save or print any Word file it hangs.

When I diconnect from Internet - everything is fine.

Could you please help me solving the problem?

:)

2. Andre Da Costa, Jun 27, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Scanning documents

Hi emev, if your scanner software does not have the option to scan to Word file, save the scan as a PDF

Then open Word

Choose File Open and open the PDF file from inside Word - modern versions of Word (2016, 365) have the ability to open PDF files which you can then save as a docx file and edit in Word

DaveM121, Jun 27, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Jun 27, 2017
  5. r1sh Win User
    Yes, I've checked right now, all latest updates are installed.

Word doesn't crash, it hangs for about 20 minutes or till I disable Internet on my laptop

6. philc43 Win User
    It could be worth checking in Event viewer to see if there were any errors or warnings issued at the same time as you try to save or print a Word file.

philc43, Jun 27, 2017
  7. r1sh Win User
    I have checked Event Viewer, though Word doesn't crash, there is no error logs*Sad

8. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    1. You could see what happens in
    a. Safe Mode
    b. After a clean boot

2. Can you save from e.g. Wordpad to the same destination?

3. Then there's this which solved this for some:
    Word 2016 Locking Up Constantly - Microsoft Community

4. You can try this:
    Open Word in Safe Mode

Check if you can save files in Safe Mode. Here's how: 1. Press the <Ctrl> key while you start Word

2. Click Yes at the prompt to open in Safe Mode.

3. Can you save the file? If yes, start Word normally.

4. Click on the Microsoft Office Button

5. Click on the Word Options button

6. Click on Add-ins and check the active Application Add-ins listed. It's quite likely that one of the Add-ins is interfering.

History: - note this is from 2015... and occurred with an old Windows build...
    Word 2016 Hangs When Saving Files in Windows 10, but a Fix is Coming

dalchina, Jun 27, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    The mention of Internet and time suggests to me a problem involving OneDrive.

Berton, Jun 28, 2017
  10. r1sh Win User
    I've tried to open in Safe mode, but it didn't help: I still can open file but when I try to save it or print it - it hangs*Sad

11. r1sh Win User
    i don't use onedrive...

12. dalchina New Member
    2. Can you save from e.g. Wordpad to the same destination?

I find it very odd that it fails in Safe Mode, but works when you boot normally with the internet disconnected.

I mentioned two different 'Safe Modes' -
    1. Where you boot Windows to Safe Mode e.g. via SHIFT + left click Restart
    2. Starting Word in Safe Mode

To which were you referring? I don't know... I tried to make this very clear using numbered points.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Word 2016 hangs at saving file - Similar Threads - Word 2016 hangs

2. File directory hangs when saving file as

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File directory hangs when saving file as: File directory hangs when saving file as https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-directory-hangs-when-saving-file-as/268e022c-860e-464e-9949-e48b9e3056f7
  3. File directory hangs when saving file as

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File directory hangs when saving file as: File directory hangs when saving file as https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-directory-hangs-when-saving-file-as/268e022c-860e-464e-9949-e48b9e3056f7
  4. PDF files are not saving. They are saving as word documents!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF files are not saving. They are saving as word documents!: Hi there, in the last couple of weeks I cannot print a pdf file to save in my documents. I have Windows 11. The file shows in my documents as a Word document! Plus it is completely in gobbledegook! I have tried to restart the computer and it is still happening. I have tried...
  5. PDF files are not saving. They are saving as word documents!

PDF files are not saving. They are saving as word documents!: Hi there, in the last couple of weeks I cannot print a pdf file to save in my documents. I have Windows 11. The file shows in my documents as a Word document! Plus it is completely in gobbledegook! I have tried to restart the computer and it is still happening. I have tried...
  6. Word 2016 not offering previous locations for 'Save As'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Word 2016 not offering previous locations for 'Save As': I open a Word File. I work on a Word File. I click 'File' -> 'Save as', and I get two choices: 'Documents' or 'Desktop' see image. Nothing else - not the folder from which I'd taken the document I was working on. I used to be able to do this - like, two days ago - but now,...
  7. Why "save as" tab keeps opening on Word 2016?

Why "save as" tab keeps opening on Word 2016?: Laptop: ASUS X407MA-BV002T Windows version: Windows 10 The laptop was bought last year I don't have any Add-Ins. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-save-as-tab-keeps-opening-on-word-2016/166577f7-3fa7-4def-be0b-199760e8984e
  8. Word 2016

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Word 2016: I am unable to open home page I have reinstalled the product but I still cannot open it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-2016/1534d006-b45d-41a6-85c6-cb5274dcc1f4"
  9. Opening embedded files in Word 2016

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening embedded files in Word 2016: I receive files created in Word 2013 containing embedded files. When I open the files in Windows 2016 there is no Enable Editing button in the bar at the top of the document. I am therefore unable to open the embedded files. How can I open such embedded files, please?...
  10. Word 2016 crashes on save/save as

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word 2016 crashes on save/save as: When I do a save as or save, MS Word 2016, Version 1704 Build 8067.2157 becomes non responsive. No matter what the destination is, usually documents, it just crashes. Task manager to get out of it. Searched for problem on the internet, tried most if not all of the suggestions...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. word 2016 hangs when saving