Windows 10: Word 365 Spell Check inconsistent

Discus and support Word 365 Spell Check inconsistent in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I'm proofing a document that was scanned & OCR'd. When I click 'ignore all' on a name it appears to work properly-but after a dozen pages or so I... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by pchelp, Oct 30, 2020.

1. pchelp Win User

Word 365 Spell Check inconsistent

I'm proofing a document that was scanned & OCR'd. When I click 'ignore all' on a name it appears to work properly-but after a dozen pages or so I notice that the name is again marked as misspelled. The earlier occurrences are still ignored-and to all appearances the name is spelled the same, including capitalization (not sure whether or not that matters so I check it). Any idea what's going on?

Also, in many cases Word seems to ignore 'partial' words, particularly if they're single letters. "his own s" is an example. The scanning/OCR missed 'hand' before the s-but that's not my issue. My issue is why Word thinks 's' is a properly spelled word? I know there's a setting to tell it to ignore words with numbers (which I've unchecked-OCR too often confuses 'l' with '1') but I can't find a similar setting to uncheck so it will flag words with symbols as misspelled. Or would that result in every word at the end of a sentence, or preceding a comma, being flagged? Maybe just flag words that have symbols in the middle of the word-but that's probably too much to ask.

So let's get back to my basic question-is there a setting to tell word to check words that consist of individual letters?
    Thanks.

:)

pchelp, Oct 30, 2020
  2. pchelp Win User

I'm proofing a document that was scanned & OCR'd. When I click 'ignore all' on a name it appears to work properly-but after a dozen pages or so I notice that the name is again marked as misspelled. The earlier occurrences are still ignored-and to all appearances the name is spelled the same, including capitalization (not sure whether or not that matters so I check it). Any idea what's going on?

Also, in many cases Word seems to ignore 'partial' words, particularly if they're single letters. "his own s" is an example. The scanning/OCR missed 'hand' before the s-but that's not my issue. My issue is why Word thinks 's' is a properly spelled word? I know there's a setting to tell it to ignore words with numbers (which I've unchecked-OCR too often confuses 'l' with '1') but I can't find a similar setting to uncheck so it will flag words with symbols as misspelled. Or would that result in every word at the end of a sentence, or preceding a comma, being flagged? Maybe just flag words that have symbols in the middle of the word-but that's probably too much to ask.

So let's get back to my basic question-is there a setting to tell word to check words that consist of individual letters?
    Thanks.

pchelp, Oct 30, 2020
  3. AndreTen Win User
    How to get Windows 10 to spell check uppercase words.

Hi Apheration and welcome to Ten Forums Word 365 Spell Check inconsistent :)

My spell checker works for me. And on words with caps on, too. My setting is default (although I have second language installed).
    We can go step by step from settings (check language, if spelling language is installed, then Keyboard (under devices) if spell is enabled.

Word 365 Spell Check inconsistent [​IMG]

AndreTen, Oct 30, 2020
  4. Word 365 Spell Check inconsistent

Spell Checker not working in Mail or Word Windows 10

The spelling checker is working in my Windows 10 Mail, and gives suggest corrections in a list, but there is no ADD function shown, to add the word to a custom dictionary. Office 365 Spell checker has this capability and saves the 'new' word to 'custom.dic'
    and 'roamingdefault.dic. Mail seems to have this function, as the 'misspelt' word is at the bottom of the suggested alternatives but with a + in front of it. I assume this will then add it to a Mail custom dictionary but I can find no reference to what its
    file name is or where is it located, so I cannot go and edit it, which I can do with the Office 365 dictionary.

Regards,

Ed

Fleetchief, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Word 365 Spell Check inconsistent - Similar Threads - Word 365 Spell

2. spell check

in Windows 10 Gaming
    spell check: When typing and I misspell a word and I right click on it to get the correct spelling it has stopped showing me choices. It has always given me several words to choose from and then pops them in when I make a choice. How do I get this feature back again?...
  3. Word Pad Spell Check

in Windows 10 Support
    Word Pad Spell Check: Why is there no spell check on Word Pad? It should be the most important feature on any document app??? 161836
  4. Word Pad in Windows -- where is the spell check?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word Pad in Windows -- where is the spell check?: Where is spell check? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-pad-in-windows-where-is-the-spell-check/03d68595-6324-4957-a624-ff8fc78a9e91
  5. Spell Check

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spell Check: Spell Check does not work in my Gmail,in web browser. Any help would be appreciated. I don't know much about computers. Note,Spell Check DOES work on this Microsoft Community forum! Thanks, A.W....
  6. Spell Check

Spell Check: Hello, My Spell Check is not working on Windows 10. I need help,please step by step details,please,as I am not good with computers. Thanks, A.W. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spell-check/5d67117c-2067-4e12-acf7-edf6a9552006
  7. Spell Check

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Spell Check: Is spell check available in Word Pad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spell-check/268af303-8218-4222-8446-e3887d89bf55"
  8. Spell Check

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Spell Check: For Wordpad and Notepad on Windows 10, is there a good spell checker to use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spell-check/638b0279-f8fa-4180-ae28-e2d1f58d11c1"
  9. spell check

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    spell check: Do I have to pay for spell check? I can't even open a word document without it saying it has to close. It says some features are disabled. then tells me to repair or close and it still closes and I can't ever use it I just use word pad and I am a bad speller. I thought it was...
  10. spell check

spell check: I went to documents , word pad and cant find spell check. a ideas? thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spell-check/ad261a61-5836-4e22-a9fe-0d92381deb53