Windows 10: Word and Word documents won't open properly

Discus and support Word and Word documents won't open properly in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Windows 10 Version 1903(OS build 18362.900 Hello everyone - my first time here :) I have Microsoft Office365 legitimately shared with me (via a link)... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by jayvee04, Jul 2, 2020.

1. jayvee04 Win User

Word and Word documents won't open properly

Windows 10 Version 1903(OS build 18362.900
    Hello everyone - my first time here Word and Word documents won't open properly :)
    I have Microsoft Office365 legitimately shared with me (via a link) from my son-in-law who has a subscription. I've had it on my PC for about 7 weeks and only been using Word which has been working fine.
    However, about 3 days ago I couldn't open any of my documents or Word itself - at least, not properly. For example, what happens is when I click on a document or the Word program itself, the normal icon pops up in the taskbar, and hovering the cursor over that, the usual small window pops up just above the icon - that's all. Clicking on it will not open it.
    I've tried various things but nothing works. I've run the 'repair' from the uninstall or change feature via Control Panel using both Quick Repair and Online Repair several times - also uninstalled Office and reinstalled 3 or 4 times. Many restarts and I've run virus and malware scans - nothing found.
    The other programs in Office all open OK - though I'm not currently using any of them. It's just Word that won't open. I should point out that I can open a Word document in Libre, thankfully I still have that.
    I don't know what else to do, so I'm hoping someone might come up with the answer. Any help will be gratefully received. Thank you Word and Word documents won't open properly :)

:)

jayvee04, Jul 2, 2020
  2. jgunning Win User

Recovering corrupt word documents

Please explain...?

And I know this thread is abit of a spam magnet..for that I apologise.
    Unfortunately I cannot attach one of the files due to they need to remain confidential.

I have tried the following:

- Several "text" recovery programs.
    - I have tried using word to repair and open the documents
    - I have tried opening the documents in several other text browsers - ie. Notepad, wordpad etc
    - I have tried using winzip, winrar and 7zip to retreive text
    - I have tried changing options in word to attempt to open the document as a draft.
    - I have tried to use word to "insert text" from the document

All these things havent worked for me yet.. *Cry :cry:

jgunning, Jul 2, 2020
  3. microsoft word 2003

In the past year or so I've noticed another quirk where a downloaded Word document or other Office document won't open regardless of the steps I take to open them. After deleting the file and re-downloading the document it opens without issue. I've been using Chrome almost exclusively so I'm not sure if I've experienced this with Explorer or Firefox. So one last step to try might be to obtain another copy of your files if they are being generated and fetched externally to your system (ie. try downloading them again as the file might have simply been corrupted).

Beertintedgoggles, Jul 2, 2020
  4. Word and Word documents won't open properly

Opening a Word Document

Thank you for replying. The first line of my post did say

• "I need to open a Word Document on a government website to complete a form."

SheenaRead, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

Word and Word documents won't open properly

1. Word and Word documents won't open properly - Similar Threads - Word Word documents

2. Documents open in Video not Word

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents open in Video not Word: I was trying to download a document but clicked on Video, now every time i try to open a Document it goes to video, how do i change this back. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-open-in-video-not-word/92ee27c3-1f5f-4099-a4c1-1c58cdeb8007
  3. word document will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    word document will not open: I cannot open a word document and this is the following message I get. I have tried some strategies suggested online for this particular error message, but I'm hoping there are other helps. Thank you....
  4. word document will not open

word document will not open: I cannot open a word document and this is the following message I get. I have tried some strategies suggested online for this particular error message, but I'm hoping there are other helps. Thank you....
  5. Opening Word documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening Word documents: Hi - As of yesterday evening I have been unable to open any documents either Word or PDF on my Lenovo ideapad laptop. Can anyone advise how to solve this please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-word-documents/46f3303a-40c6-42bf-b342-3a6e5e41a494
  6. Opening Wordpad document in Word

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Opening Wordpad document in Word: Hi team. What would happen if I wrote a text in Wordpad and then opened it in Word? Would it mess up everything? Also, does anyone know whether a free Word Programme is included in Windows? I was going to pay to renew my subscription, but realised I already have access to...
  7. opening word documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    opening word documents: My laptop will not open current saved documents in word on desktop. A window opens and goes to reconfigure, then asks if I want to reboot. After reboot the same thing happens when I try to open a word document. This happens with all of word documents on desktop. However, word...
  8. Opening documents saved in Word

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening documents saved in Word: Hello I have many documents created in Open Office but saved as Word docs so they can be sent to others in a readable form. Suddenly they no can no longer be opened and any attempt to do so brings up a window stating that 'You are trying to use Office but you don't have...
  9. Word Documents won't print

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word Documents won't print: My word documents won't print. I copied and pasted one to Google Docs. and that will print. I have spent hours with Tech Support yesterday and no one can come up with an answer to this extremely frustrating problem. Ink is good and printer works great. I did not always...
  10. can not open word document

can not open word document: I just upgraded office 2007 to office 2016. On all of my fils that I made with my older version can be opened with 2016. But if I create a new document with Word 2016 and save it, when I try to open it a message pops up telling me that this is valid only with installed...